When did you start to FEEL better?

Options
Obviously I'd like to see the numbers go down on the scale, but what's most important to me is to start feeling better. I am so unfit, so out of shape, that EVERYTHING gets me out of breath. And sore. EVERYTHING. So my question goes out to everyone who started out very unfit but has worked their way up: how long did it take for you to start feeling better? Not being out of breath so easily, having more energy, stuff like that.

Replies

• tillybeth72
    tillybeth72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i started 3 weeks ago with 30 day shred and was in AGONY for about a week after. I have stuck with it, and go to the gym 3 days a week and do excercise dvd rest of the week. I can now do the dreaded plank position (first time i did it could not lift myself off the floor) and at the gym am able to cross trainer for 30 mins without stopping (couldnt do it for 2 mins at first without stopping to catch my breath). Its amazing how quickly your body adapts and i am not sore at all :) The only downside is i dont seem to be losing weight and i have been counting my calories. I have noticed that i am definately toning up.
  • ostro
    ostro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you will start feeling better once you see the numbers going down. So much of this is a state of mind, and once you know that you have the power to change it, and you get the hang of it, you will start feeling better. For me, it was about making small goals, so you don't have to wait so long for that feeling of accomplishment. Once your mind feels right, your body will feel better. I'm pulling for you.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I starting feeling better within about a month or so. I let myself get very out of shape so it didn't take much to make walking up hills easier. The shape change took much longer. Just keep at it!
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started feeling better the day I decided to take control of my eating habits and make the right choices. So mentally I feel a whole lot better. The physical part is coming along.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    It took 3 or 4 months before I noticed I wasn't having to pull myself up the stairs, and carrying in the groceries no longer felt like a workout, and I wasn't out of breath from carrying a laundry basket across the room. I was morbidly obese when I started-although I was able to walk (a couple of miles-slowly). Not sure what your current fitness level is or what kind of exercise you are doing though.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    After having my daughter, I was VERY out of shape. I'd used pregnancy as an excuse to be lazy, and suddenly I had a desire to be fit and active again. So I took a karate class, which has been my favorite form of exercise for years, both before and after giving birth.

That class was HARD. So much harder than it had ever been before!

It took me about three months of constant work before I began to feel a real change in my body - being able to keep up with the class to a lesser degree, and not being exhausted after each class. Honestly though, like others have said, it really depends on where you are right now and what you're doing to improve, and how often you do it. Everyone is different. :)
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    As soon as i started walking.

By the end of week 2 i was already feeling the benefits.

1/1/13 i couldn't do more that 5 mins worth of work. Now 29/1/13 I can go hard for 30-60mins before i need a break, then i get going again..

I honestly cant believe how fast i felt my fitness levels raise up. Didn't take long at all.

And it all started with a 5min walk around the block....................