Gap (among other stores) & Vanity Sizing

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Every store. Ugh. Went and bought new jeans. My old, looser pairs are a 5 and an 11. My newer, perfect fitting pair is a 9. The newer, tighter jeans I also purchased are an 11.

I have a size 11 and size 13 pair of shorts that are also too loose and too tight respectively.

Argh.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    US Clothing sizes have definitely changed over the years. When I was in my 20's (40 years ago), I wore a size 10. At that time I weighed around 115 pounds. Now at age 60 I weigh 123 pounds and wear a size 4 or 6 easily. Believe me, in NO WAY do I think I should be that size, but it is what it is. As we have gotten larger as a society, clothing manufacturers have found a way to make us feel smaller. I always wonder what this means for the models and celebrities that we see. What size are they??? A triple negative 0? I guess the bottom line is, it doesn't matter what size we can wear, but how we FEEL that's important, right??
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Good for business,people are going to shop at the place where they are smaller or bigger (bra wise). Stupid if you ask me. Feel bad for the person in charge of the dressing room when I bring them a pile of clothes that are too small or too big.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    my mom saw on tv a story about sizing. what they do in America is they add extra inches to the sizing you wear. America has gotten so obese. she wore a size 14 for a long time and thought I am doing good I haven't gained weight. when she found out how they did the sizing she was not happy.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Gap and Old Navy are gateway mom jeans, anyway. Read this: http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html this blogger does a side by side comparison of Gap vs other not terribly expensive brands. She definitely looks a lot frumpier in the gap jeans.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed it at the Gap, but LOL @ Old Navy's sizing.

Ugh Old Navy is the worst. I only get tank tops there now because I know the 2xs are 2x. I bought a couple tshirts there that were 2x a while ago, and knew they wouldn't fit so I left the tags on. I tried wearing on yesterday and the first comment from my husband "it doesn't look like it fits."
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I always thought ON sizes seemed smaller?! not Bigger..

For the LONGEST time I couldn't fit into any Old Navy jeans. I was too large, they seem to only go up to a size 20. But I could fit into a 20 in regular jeans anywhere else I went, but not at Old Navy.

Vanity? At Old Navy? I am sorry, maybe it's my body type.. but I don't see it. As a matter of fact, I am STILL a 16 in Old Navy jeans ( I have dropped 20 lbs and still can't fit into an Old Navy 14), but I fit into smaller sizes elsewhere...I feel like they are either TRUE to size, or smaller...not bigger.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    US Clothing sizes have definitely changed over the years. When I was in my 20's (40 years ago), I wore a size 10. At that time I weighed around 115 pounds. Now at age 60 I weigh 123 pounds and wear a size 4 or 6 easily. Believe me, in NO WAY do I think I should be that size, but it is what it is. As we have gotten larger as a society, clothing manufacturers have found a way to make us feel smaller. I always wonder what this means for the models and celebrities that we see. What size are they??? A triple negative 0? I guess the bottom line is, it doesn't matter what size we can wear, but how we FEEL that's important, right??

YES! This is exactly the way it is! In the 70s and 80s, the smallest size that juniors came in was a size 5 or 7. Today that is size 0 and 00. A size 10 fit me at 130. The other day I bought a size 12. at 195 lbs!! That is just crazy.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i just went to the US to do some shopping I am a size 7/8 over there and 9/10 in Canada. i liked the ego boost I got buying a pair of pant size 7.. lol
  • NHLeah
    NHLeah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Last week I was all excited that at Old Navy I bought a size 6 jeans, where a year ago I was wearing size 12 Lee Jeans. So being confident, I pulled out the one pair of jeans that I saved from the early 1990's and tried them on. I couldn't even get the button to within four inches together. So I took them off and looked at the size. They were a size 11. So before you go into that the old jeans were junior sized and the new jeans are misses sized, I also tried on my daughter's size 5 jeans. Those jeans also fit. I compared the old size 11 to my current size 6 and my size 6 is bigger at the hip than the size 11. I couldn't compare waist to waist since the old were high rise.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I can buy 3 in the vera wang brand and old navy but if I go to the "teen"section I'm luck if a 8 or 9 fits. I'm only 26 but I will stick to shoping in the "womens" so I can wear smaller sizes....lol.
  • Ebs75
    Ebs75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've learnt to take no notice of what size I am in a shop as it can vary hugely. For women there is no set standard to say a Size 14 is X inches, yet for a guy a 38 inch shirt/trousers is usually a 38. I've bought two EXACT pairs of trousers from a store before (Dorothy Perkins) and had one fit me and one pair that didn't, these aren't trousers that are similiar they are the exact same in style, colour and size. I had to double check that a smaller pair hadn't been put on my size hanger but no both labels showed the same size. The reason I was given is that one pair could have been made in a different factory to the other and they weren't so precise with their measurements (no kidding!)

This weekend I brought a lovely soft jersey dress and thought at a size 14 it would be too tight but no it fitted perfectly and when I looked in the lable it said 12/14, there is no way on this earth I am a UK size 12. In Marks and Spencers I'm a 16/18 depending on the fit and material and in Next I'm a size 20. Take my advice and ingore what the hanger says, if it fits well then get it and ignore the numbers.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Gap and Old Navy are gateway mom jeans, anyway. Read this: http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html this blogger does a side by side comparison of Gap vs other not terribly expensive brands. She definitely looks a lot frumpier in the gap jeans.

Not terribly expensive?

I always found GAP to be pretty pricey compared to most shops on the high street - I'll only buy from them in sale. I think mens jeans are like £40 or something which seems pretty damn expensive for some trousers.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I really wish womens clothing was like mens, Just inches and that's it. A 34/32 is always that no matter what brand.

Womens clothes I can be anything from a 5 to a an 11.

Vanity sizing happens for men, too. In Old Navy/Gap clothes, I can be a 30 for some of their clothes. Other brands I'm comfortably a 32.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am a size 8 in Gap jeans, although I reckon I could squeeze into a 6 in their skinny jeans (I had to purchase a belt this weekend to keep my current skinny jeans up). I like Gap jeans, as their skinny and bootleg long length fit me well (generally).

I am another women in my 40's, and can confirm that I would be a UK 14 (US 10) in clothes I have from 15+ years ago, but then my mother says that they used to be even smaller in the 60's & 70's. People are getting bigger generally, and I don't just mean weighing more, so it kind of makes sense that clothing sizes will change.

Doesn't bother me, I am happy to wear a size 16 if it fits. I just make sure that i try things on before I buy them.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when they use waist/leg measurements either sometimes. I have three pairs of Lucky Brand jeans -- all with a waist measurement of 25 -- that are sized 4, 2... and 0. Place them on top of each other, and they look *exactly* the same around the waist, but not the legs; one is "skinny", another is straight, and the third is boot cut. It may have something to do with the cut, but it's still frustrating because you never know what size to choose when you're shopping. :ohwell:

I couldn't care less about the size... I just want them to fit and look good!

ETA: Before the "size-bashing" commences, please note that I am 5'2" with a small frame.....
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing this! I'm ready to buy new jeans and would have tried Gap & Banana R. Most definitely do not want "GMJs."
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with body types too. The only predictable thing is that it is unpredictable. Regardless, as long as my sizes are getting bigger at home instead of smaller, it is all good. I let the size be my guide, not the scale. As soon as the clothes get too big, I donate them to charity so I never go backwards. :)
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Not terribly expensive?

I always found GAP to be pretty pricey compared to most shops on the high street - I'll only buy from them in sale. I think mens jeans are like £40 or something which seems pretty damn expensive for some trousers.

Compared to high end brands like 7 For All Mankind and such that can push $200, I'd call Gap midrangeish. I go for consignment, discount stores, Goodwill etc and just hunt for better brands because I don't even want to spend $30 on Walmart jeans, ha. I was pissed I spent that much on slacks at Target the other day because I needed a pair quick for work (and wouldn't you know, two wears and one wash later the hem came out). I have some high end brands of jeans and spent under $25 for most of them.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I can get Chico's pants where I take several pair into the dressing room and have 1 pair too big but another in the same size make me look like an overstuffed pillow.