Foods to assist in nicotine withdrawal?

Options
I plan to quit smoking within the next few weeks. Does anyone know of foods that help reduce the cravings? I know I want a cigarette with my coffee...so I'm switching to herbal teas now in prep for that. (Can't withdraw on too many things at once!)

Any recommendations are very welcome.

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I always see ex-smokers chew on ridiculous amounts of gum (not nicotine gum)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I always see ex-smokers chew on ridiculous amounts of gum (not nicotine gum)

Yeah, I'm doing this. 3-5 pieces at a time. I use Dentyne because it's softer than most gums (easier on the jaw).

I think switch up your morning routine somehow, so you're not having a hot drink where you usually do - a different room, something.
  • PaulineKK
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe try to hop on a treadmill or go for a fast walk too. I don't want a cigarette after hopping off that.

I just didn't know if there were any particular vitamins or minerals in a particular fruit or vegetable that might help with the craving.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Ex-smoker popping in here (I quit in June 2012)...there are no foods that will help. Breaking the addiction sucks but really, you just have to let your body go through the withdrawal process. The first 3 days were awful, the first week sucked, and it got progressively easier after that. I quit cold turkey, since I wanted to rip the bad aid off quickly as opposed to prolonging the addiction with nicotine replacement gums, lozenges, etc. but any path you choose is better than smoking!

I am part of a group on MFP called "Quitting Smoking." It helps to have some support, so consider joining us over there!
  • silverainn
    Options
    My boyfriend swears by raw ginger. He sliced it thinly and chewed a piece whenever he had cravings (with occasional help from an e-cigarette). The smell (and I'm assuming taste) is a bit overwhelming.. he said it was the strong taste that kept him distracted, but he managed to quit completely within a couple of months.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Chew on cinnamon sticks
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I remember reading that foods that are slow to digest help with withdrawal and to avoid foods like orange juice which are fast to digest. The theory being that slower foods keep the nicotine reduction on a more even keel, while fast digesting foods lead to too high a drop, causing more severe withdrawal symptoms. This was 10 years ago so maybe the wisdom has changed.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Oh, and fireballs are great for this, too. When I was locked up and couldn't smoke I would eat fireballs until my mouth was numb.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend chewed toothpicks for a few months to quit. Hasn't smoked in over 5 years now.
    I've heard of people dipping them in certain things to get a flavor, and some are sold flavored as well. You'll find something that works for you.
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've heard there are herbs that you can take via tincture or tea to help with the cravings. I know that lobelia and licorice root are two. May want to check out your local health food store and see. There are probably some homeopathics that would help too... Good luck!!!
  • PaulineKK
    Options
    Thanks, I think there are some really good things to try! I have been drinking a ginger tea each day that's supposed to be good as and anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory, helps digestion, improves circulation and blood flow, etc. etc.

It would never have occurred to me to chew a cinnamon stick.

When I tried to quit before, I used coffee stirrers to gnash my teeth on and mimic the smoking behavior...deep inhales.

@melsinct...I'm fairly new on here. How do I get to that group?

Again, thank you all for your input.

P.S. I love fireballs.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
  • Mary1NYS
    Mary1NYS Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I so agree with the fireballs! i don't know why but they really helped me when I quit! Also good idea to increase your fiber intake and drink more water to help prevent constipation!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Smoking increases your blood sugar. It takes a couple of days (3) for your body to figure out how to regulated blood sugar on it's own again. You will experience low blood sugar along with your acute withdrawl (fun eh). That low blood sugar is what causes the moodiness, headaches, and extreeme fatigue of the first few days.
    Sipping on orange juice (sipping a glass or 2 through out the day, not a whole glass every few min), or eating fruit regularily will help alleviate that. Orange juice or citrus fruit also has the added benefit of high doses of vit C, which will help your body kick nicotine faster.

A site that is awsome for information on smoking, and mechanisms re addiction is www.whyquit.org .

The info there really helped me kick my 20 year addiction to smoking (and I'm only 34.... ick).
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Might be a little out-there, but if you have access to a sauna or steam room, or a hot tub, or sufficiently hot water in your shower, spending some time in there every day for 3-4 days can help you by sweating out some of the nicotine in your system. Or so I've heard; I've never smoked so I can't speak to how effective this might be for you. I have studied mechanisms of addiction and of nicotine addiction in particular, though, and I can tell you that a huge part of getting over nicotine addiction is psychological. Needing something to do with your hands or mouth is also a problem that people run into, hence gum, toothpicks, sunflower seeds, etc being so popular among people trying to quit.

Changing up your routine will definitely help, though; the effect of the environment on addiction to any substance is significant. You've heard stories of celebrities who OD on preposterously large quantities of drugs, and it wasn't the first time they had done that much - 9 times out of 10, they OD because they were doing their drugs of choice somewhere other than where they normally did them (like a hotel room). The body becomes accustomed to a routine of drug use so that, when you're in the situation and environment where you normally use a substance (e.g., with your morning coffee), the body compensates by inducing withdrawal symptoms, so using the drug brings you back to normal. Switching to tea and perhaps drinking the tea in a different room will help to dispel morning cravings.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Besides the patch and nicotine losenges, I sucked on those DumDum suckers. ESPECIALLY when driving, the suckers were a great replacement. 7 years quit for good (after smoking for 10 and "quitting" of and on for 5 years)
  • PaulineKK
    Options

Thanks, I've joined!

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I know besides the addictiveness of the tars and nicotine, there are over 100 other addicting substances in a cigarette, but those are the toughest to get over. I also know a lot of it is psychological/behavior. One of my mantra's now is that I've started eating healthier and exercising, this will help my body through the withdrawal. It also helps that the other smoker in the house has now successfully quit for over a month...less temptation!
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congrats on your decision to quit smoking! I quit cold turkey October 1, 2011. Haven't smoked since.

As for ways to curb your cravings--It's really easy.

Stay away from smokers all together until you're confident you can resist the urge to smoke.

Cinnamon Sticks are great, they're the same shape as a cigarette. If I really wanted to smoke I would chew on one of them and the spicy sweetness was perfect for helping me get through the craving (Carrots, celery, and pretty much any other low sugar veggie works too).

Try to incorporate NEW healthy habits to occupy your time. Start running, weight lifting, or anything that gets your heart pumping and your blood flowing--become addicted to something healthy and fun. It works.

The trick is keeping up motivation. Smoking is a habit coupled with a physical addiction, you have to WANT to quit. Make it your greatest accomplishment, tell yourself how strong you are and how you can overcome anything--especially a stupid addiction. They say it takes 30 days to break/make a habit, so I say incorporate a new routine to replace smoking for 30 days, by the time you have established a new habit you’ve eliminated your worst.

You CAN do this. Anyone can, you just have to find the strength and the will.
  • PaulineKK
    Options
    Prettylittlel, thanks for the encouraging words.

So, cinnamon sticks...spice isle of the grocery store? What a difference my breath will be!

My son quite about a month ago and he was the only one constantly around me that smoked...so now I'm the only one. He's a good source of encouragement as are my daughters.

I think I'm going to be walking my dog a lot and it may be time to break out the Tai Chi DVD again.
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    I have been there. I will say this. Plan to eat a lot. Plan to gain about 15-20 lbs and know it is okay. Eat whatever satisfies your craving, but for you to stay healthy while quitting smoking is damn near impossible.

I am still gaining back the weight that I lost (I have yoyoed twice), but let me say this: I feel better than I have in my whole life.

Git-r-Done!