My 3 month old at the gym?

Options
Is it ok to take my daughter to the gym? They have a kids room but I wouldn't put her in there I don't think.She's 3 months and no kids are ever in, its beside the tredmill and its glass so I could see her, but maybe she should be in her carrier beside me. What do you guys think?

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    To be completely blunt: she's going to be a distraction and keep you from getting a really good workout. You're better off putting her in the kid's room or finding a sitter.
  • Hvy61727
    Options
    my wife takes our kids to the ymca with her, and our littlest one is almost 3 months. I think it would be fine, anything to keep you in the gym
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Are children allowed in the gym? We are members of the YMCA and no little ones are allowed in the "wellness" section. They have to go to the kids room. There are 2 seperate rooms divided by age. I think if she is allowed to be there, then I would put her little carrier by me if she doesn't mind it too much. When my soon to be 8 year old was an infant, I would take her to step aerobics with me at the church. She enjoyed sitting in the carrier listening to the music. You need to do what is best and feels right for you! Good luck!
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible horror story in regards to my infant son in a gym daycare. I won't go into it, but he could have died, he nearly did. It was due to lack of supervision by the under qualified and absolutely oblivious worker in the day care room. So, my opinion would be NO, unless you can see her in the room the entire time, keep her with you. But people don't really like children on the floor, so it's kind of a catch 22. Maybe find an outside sitter until she is big enough to defend herself.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If the daycare takes children that young, she should be in there. That is why they have the daycare.

If they don't take children that young, then no she should not be going to the gym with you.
  • Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I would be nervous that someone would walk on her or drop a weight on her. I think it's just a potential danger. Also, how could you get a good workout? If you don't want to leave her in the daycare, maybe you could get a stroller and go walking with her.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Unsafe and a liability on the wellness floors.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    No.
    Please no.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

This. Also, other gym patrons shouldn't have to deal with a baby crying/pooping/generally being in the way when they are there to work out. Just my 2cents.
  • Wheyuphi
    Wheyuphi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio:
    -Def not a danger as long as she is in a stroller or napping.
    -Using the kids area, if you can see your child while you do cardio then no problem
    -Put her in a carrier in the kids room so no one can accidentally knock into her
    Weight training:
    -Prolly not a good idea

However, beggers can't be choosers. If you are serious about losing or gaining weight then nothing will stand in your way. I take my 15 month old son with me when I hit the cardio room, just because it's a lot easier. Doing weight training I'll rotate shifts with my husband. Cardio outside is also not a bad idea.

Good luck!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    We didn't take our Son to the gym with us until he was about a year old. He's 22-months-old now and I take him whenever I go. They love him there!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

This...

if you take her, she belongs in the daycare...

my gym doesn't even let kids younger than 8 in the wellness rooms...and those 8-13 have to be accompanied by a parent...

so she may not even be allowed in there.
  • mariahgetsskinny
    Options
    Honestly, I would never bring my daughter to the gym. Even if I left her somewhere where I could see her. I would find a sitter. Thats just my opinion.
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would never have my kid next to me while I'm working out. I'd be afraid someone would walk into her car seat or something. Put her in the kids room.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    50 pounds weights being slammed around + fast moving machines (like treadmills and elliptical) plus people pushing themselves and not particularly paying attention to the space around them + 3 month old = disaster waiting to happen.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    No. Put her in the kids' room. She'll be fine there.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I would not. Unless the gym has a staffed kids are that you could leave them in.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Do not take her to the gym area -- that is just an accident waiting to happen, plus what a distraction!

Our Y has a great daycare area. You should treat any daycare like you would your regular daycare. Do spot checks. If you sign that you will be back in an hour, stop in 20 minutes early. You can tell a lot about a daycare by these spot checks.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Ask your gym management if there is a policy in place.

My opinion, there isn't enough floor space in my gym for it to be safe to have a baby stroller or carrier on the floor. Also, it can be pretty noisy with all the cardio equipment and fans going. And I would find a crying baby a little bit distracting.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't blame you for not wanting to leave your baby in the kids' room; but I also think you have to consider being courteous to everyone else who's working out, too. They won't be looking for a baby on the equipment or on the floor, and could accidentally bump into the baby, step on her, or drop something on her. Even if that doesn't happen, your baby could begin to cry and give everyone a massive headache during what is likely some of the only time they get to relax and focus on themselves all day. I know you wouldn't *mean* to be inconsiderate, but taking an infant into a gym meant for grown-ups is no better than taking one to a movie theater or restaurant in that regard. Maybe you can work out at home in the meantime?