Stopped losing weight?

Options
Has anyone hit a brick wall and stopped losing weight? How did you over come it? I'm starting to feel very disheartened :(

Replies

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating now? Have you thought about eating more? That's what worked for me.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you have lost weight?

You will most likely not lose weight each week no matter what you do... it is just how it all works.

How much are you eating? HOw much water do you drink? How much sodium do you consume? How long has it been since you have changed your exercise routine?
  • ellycotton
    ellycotton Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat 1,300
  • SOOZIE429
    Options
    What is your height? What is your BMR? I don't think you are eating enough. Go here to figure out what you should be eating:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • sarahpeacock84
    Options
    I am going through the same thing! I am working out even more than I was; It's frustrating! Please let me know what you find out.
  • SOOZIE429
    Options
    I am going through the same thing! I am working out even more than I was; It's frustrating! Please let me know what you find out.

Please go to the link I posted above and see how much you should be eating. If you're working out more you need to eat more.

Also, this thread is amazing. Great information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • ellycotton
    ellycotton Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4' drink about 1l of water a day and exercise everyday, haven't lost weight for about 2 weeks :( x
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4' drink about 1l of water a day and exercise everyday, haven't lost weight for about 2 weeks :( x

Wow, I drink nearly a liter of water with my workout. Are you drinking tea or eating lots of high water content foods? When our bodies get dehydrated, they don't function properly, so this might be part of your problem.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you are underfed and underwatered, your body may well be fighting you and just going into survival mode, rather than performing at its best.

However, I am thinking patience might be your biggest issue, since most don't even consider two weeks to be a plateau, just normal frustrations of weight loss.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The hot topic lately has been if your not losing weight your not eating enough. It's interesting that was the first thing suggested in this thread and then suggested several more times. You may not be eating enough but lots of questions need to be asked before you jump to that conclusion. None of us got to being overweight by not eating enough.

It is possible that if you are eating low calorie long enough your body will adapt to it. 2 weeks without loss is not necessarily a stall or a plateau. In that 2 weeks were you consistently hitting your calorie goal? Were you consistently doing your workouts? How close are you getting to your goal? The closer you get to goal the harder it is to lose. Are you weighing and measuring your foods.

Before the EMTWL fan boys break my legs let me say that I agree you need to eat enough to fuel your workouts to lose weight in a healthy way. I just think eat more isn't the first response that you should offer when somebody says they aren't losing weight.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've hit a brick wall, and am having a hard time losing more weight too. I've tried everything in my power to get in the 140s this week after about 5 months stuck in the 150s but am having no luck. It hasn't slowed down my motivation though! I've upped my calories from 1400 to 1500 and even went a little higher on certain days but nothing is working. Sorry I don't have any advice to give.
  • SOOZIE429
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your BMR is more than 1300. If that is the case, you are clearly not eating enough. Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    The hot topic lately has been if your not losing weight your not eating enough. It's interesting that was the first thing suggested in this thread and then suggested several more times. You may not be eating enough but lots of questions need to be asked before you jump to that conclusion. None of us got to being overweight by not eating enough.

It is possible that if you are eating low calorie long enough your body will adapt to it. 2 weeks without loss is not necessarily a stall or a plateau. In that 2 weeks were you consistently hitting your calorie goal? Were you consistently doing your workouts? How close are you getting to your goal? The closer you get to goal the harder it is to lose. Are you weighing and measuring your foods.

Before the EMTWL fan boys break my legs let me say that I agree you need to eat enough to fuel your workouts to lose weight in a healthy way. I just think eat more isn't the first response that you should offer when somebody says they aren't losing weight.

Very true! I stalled for 6 weeks. I'm pretty close to my goal and it is getting harder. I did NOT increase my calories but just switched around my exercise routine and the weight is coming off again. AND i might add that I do not exercise a lot. I"m disabled so I don't have the strength or stamina to do these long hard workouts many people here do. So If I can lose weight just doing 20 minutes of light exercise every other day and doing some walking now and than, upping my calories would not have been the key. So I don't necessarily agree with increasing your calories. 2 weeks is nothing. Keep at it. I would suggest just switching up your exercise a little bit before adding calories. Try it for a couple of weeks and see if the scale starts to move again. I'm back to my 1.5 lbs loss per week without increasing calories. By the way, most weeks I don't do any other exercise besides walking to class and around the house.
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been in the stall since May. I went to the dr on Friday and she said there may be an issue because I lack sleep. Like I function off of 4-5 hours and do it all over again. She also told me no more than 3 days of working out. It will be hard but I will give it a month or two to see any results. I just want to meet my goal of 170lbs.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Relax. Weight loss is not linear. You will drop a few then stop...maybe gain 1 or 2, then drop. I have had consistent loss up until Jan.

Jan 1 I was at 239#, Jan 7 - 238#, Jan 14,- 240#, Jan. 21 at 238#, & Jan 28 at 237#.....this month, I only dropped 2#. No biggie.

My eating hadnt changed during this time though I did start running again. I suspect the 2# weight gain was a result of fluid retention due to the running.

Be cool, it will come if you stay within your numbers. Dont lose sight that this will be an on going dynamic & every day your weight will fluctuate due to basically fluid retention, gut volume & whatever the fat gods decide to torment you with today. (they get bored too ya know) LOL

Chill.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Another thing to watch is your sodium intake....been eating within your numbers but got an extra load of salty food? Sodium will affect fluid retention.