Is organic milk really better?

Options
I currently buy organic milk for my kids (I use almond for my cereal & cooking, but I don't really drink it). I'm just really wondering if it's actually better. I don't really like my kids drinking milk at all but if they must, I serve them organic. My oldest son who's in school drinks regular at school when he buys and he also has regular at daycare after school and at his grandparents but I hope to at least serve him what I think is best at home. But as of right now, I spend so much on milks because i buy organic fat free for my oldest two and organic D for my littlest who's under 2, then I buy almond for myself. It's kind of annoying, haha. It's about $10 in milk each time I buy all three.

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes better, so when I can buy it, that's why I buy it. I don't know if it's actually healthier.....
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It lasts a whole heck longer also...I don't drink milk quickly, so the fact that it lasts literally a month+ is great for me.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    ^ My mother in law swears by this, that it lasts so much longer. That's great but we drink our reg milk quickly enough that the longer lasting characteristic is moot. Tastes different but not enough to justify the extra $$, for me.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It lasts a whole heck longer also...I don't drink milk quickly, so the fact that it lasts literally a month+ is great for me.

i thought that date was only good until opened, then it lasts about the same as regular milk. perhaps i am wrong.

i only buy organic milk but not for any particular reason, i guess.
    years ago i read it was better for you. i have since read otherwise, but never broke the habit.

i don't buy it often, so i don't mind spending the extra buck or two for organic.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them drinking milk then why "must" they? Milk is really no better a source of calcium than spinach or other leafy greens. Why do you think cows milk is so full of calcium? Because they eat greens. And these days most dairy cows DON'T eat greens so their milk is refortified with calcium in which case you might as well skip that fattening cows milk and give them almond milk as well.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Are any potential benefits worth the extra cost?

As far as I'm concerned, no.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't but that's me. I would just go for regular milk.

Depending on where you are organic doesn't always mean something. Some places have very little requirements to allow a farmer to label something as organic. It's not worth the money in my opinion.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Organic anything is better than the non-organic equivalent -- it's not necessarily better *nutritionally* but better for the body due to the care taken to avoid pesticides, unnecessary antibiotics, and so on. We are exposed to so much pollution and toxic substances as it is, so any opportunity to limit exposure is a big benefit in my mind.

It's also much better for the environment. I made sure the last bedsheets I bought were organic cotton, and not because I thought regular cotton sheets would be toxic to me in anyway. But the more we buy organic, the more pesticides we're keeping out of our air and water.

As you can tell, I'm pretty biased in this regard. :-)
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    i personally like the taste btr AND it lasts longer
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    If you don't like them drinking milk then why "must" they? Milk is really no better a source of calcium than spinach or other leafy greens. Why do you think cows milk is so full of calcium? Because they eat greens. And these days most dairy cows DON'T eat greens so their milk is refortified with calcium in which case you might as well skip that fattening cows milk and give them almond milk as well.

How is cows milk "fattening"... no single food is fattening. Fats are actually good for your body in moderation.

Personally I would go for regular milk over almond milk. More protein and good fats.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Organic anything is better than the non-organic equivalent -- it's not necessarily better *nutritionally* but better for the body due to the care taken to avoid pesticides, unnecessary antibiotics, and so on. We are exposed to so much pollution and toxic substances as it is, so any opportunity to limit exposure is a big benefit in my mind.

It's also much better for the environment. I made sure the last bedsheets I bought were organic cotton, and not because I thought regular cotton sheets would be toxic to me in anyway. But the more we buy organic, the more pesticides we're keeping out of our air and water.

what she said! :)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Honestly, some people worry about the hormones and stuff that can be given to cows when you buy "regular" milk. We go through a lot of milk in our house and I don't buy organic. I do buy a local brand that uses no growth hormones on their cattle, though. It's much cheaper than buying organic.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Canada doesn't use antibiotics, or bovine growth hormone's in milk production and for a milk up here to be called organic milk must be obtained from cows given access to pasture as often as possible, actually most of the time, providing them with organic feed that does not consist of any harmful pesticides, chemicals, fertilizers, or genetically modified ingredients, and removing any cow treated by antibiotics from the herd for an extended period. Shelf life for organic can be shorter as well because of the pasteurization method, which is usually shorter in time, trying to preserve taste and nutrients. Basically in Canada people could see a benefit. If your in the USA, I have no idea.

I posted this in another post you created
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

How is cows milk "fattening"... no single food is fattening. Fats are actually good for your body in moderation.

Personally I would go for regular milk over almond milk. More protein and good fats.

It has fat. Duh.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

Requirements for organic labelling vary from area to area... some stricter than others.

Should you decide to spend the extra money on organic ensure it is "certified organic" ... labelling something as "organic" doesn't always mean anything is different. Certified organic requires the farm to have periodic inspections.

Also, at least in Canada... having a product labelled as organic doesn't mean it is 100% organic. Within Canada a product can be labelled organic as long as it contains 95% organic ingredients.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think it is if you must purchase milk at all.
    IMO Milk is socially accepted inter species breast feeding. We're the only species that drinks milk after we have weened ourselves off milk from our mothers. There are plenty places to calcium that isn't milk.
    Organic is better IMO, it lasts a lot longer and you don't have the hormones or antibiotics pumping into your system.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I use RAW milk...either cattle or goat...

I don't like the extra hormones and things if I can get away from it...
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options

perhaps "fattening" was a poor choice in words. you are correct no single food is fattenting but if whole milk is drank in abundance then yes that is fattening. Perhaps a better choice in words would be "cholesterol filled"
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't see any benefit worth the cost.
  • changejen2013
    Options
    Quite frankly all the moms I've seen who have fed their kids ANYTHIING organic seem to be spoiled brats with behavioral problems. Now, whether this is related or not I don't know but I just don't think the food tastes different so I buy regular food to save my family money!