The "Pringle Effect". Cheating Your Diet.

Options
I had a cheat day, and unfortunately suffered the "Pringle Effect".. You know, "Once You Pop, You Just Can't Stop"..
It dragged out into a 2 day cheat.. However, I luckily came back to my senses and I'm back into the game..
I refuse to let that happen again.
Has this happened to any of you?

Replies

• akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This happened to me this weekend, lol.
    back on the horse now, but it's seriously a slippery slope!

I gotcha!
    good luck!!
  • TheUnthinkingMajority
    Options
    This happened to me this weekend, lol.
    back on the horse now, but it's seriously a slippery slope!

I gotcha!
    good luck!!
    [/quote

Ain't that the truth.. Started with a bag of chips & a dr. pepper.. then the next day it was fajitas, chips & queso, a coke, and a few other things.. At the end of the day I looked at what I had done and it was like I murdered somebody. lol
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    OH yes! This has happened to me and especially over the holidays this happens to me!
    I get back on here though and start fresh!! I can go for long periods of time eating healthy. Its just those holidays and parties that get me ;)
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    At least you recognized you were doing it before it got too out of hand! I had a cheat moment the other day, had a small glass of vodka, then a few spoonfuls of full sugar ice cream and some popcorn... non of that is allowed on my diet... thank God I got extremely sick, kept me from trying that one again!
  • kway610
    kway610 Posts: 162
    Options
    Fortunately, not this time. I have treats built into my regimen that keeps me focused and have been going strong since October. However, in the past that was always an issue but it would take me weeks, maybe even months to get back on track. Good luck with everything!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    On occasion one high calorie day tends to blend into two. I just make a note of it and work on working it down over the next couple of days. I can't say "Never Again!" because yes, it will happen again because yes, I'm human, and I like food. But as long as I stay honest and work on damage control once I realize what's going on, it's all still positive effort going towards the goal.
  • sc0418
    sc0418 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm blaming it on the weather!! lol For some reason I can't say no to the chips and salsa and larger than normal amounts of carbs lately. I need to get my butt in gear and move away from all the comfort food!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    no
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Curse you Pringles!!!!!!!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't take cheat days. I do a structured refeed every few months but I try to keep it pretty bland, primarily rice, bread, and oatmeal. The next day I eat about halfway back down to my "diet" calorie level, then get back on track with a modified protein fast.
  • NEGU0128
    Options
    We went to Red Loster yesterday for our anniversary. Told my husband I was taking the day off and eating what I wanted not what I needed, just to get over a few cravings.

Today is one of the hardest days for me. I keep thinking that since my scale went up, what's one more day. I am working hard on holding this together though cause I know if I give in I will go rolling down that hill so fast I won't ever get back up!!
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    New day today. New day every day.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you are going to have a cheat day make sure to stay away from ANYTHING with MSG. It is the ingredient that makes it hard to stop eating, it also makes you hungry later. Almost anyplace you eat out is going to be loaded with it, as well as almost all premade meals and soups.

Look up some of the MANY names it goes by. I was surprised to see that some foods had two-three different forms of MSG in it. Once I eliminated it from my diet completely I found that I did not get any of the cravings that I used to, as well as foods that were high in calories were actually satisfying a long time later.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

^ Not according to your body.

If you constantly just 'forgive yourself' for your bad decisions yesterday, it wont make them not count.

If you eat god awful today, and start new tomorrow, your body aint starting new along with your mind, just saying, you better fix it not forgive it.

You ate bad yesterday? Why are you not at the gym today? Why is that bad food still in your house? You going to buy it again at the grocery store too?
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

^ Not according to your body.

If you constantly just 'forgive yourself' for your bad decisions yesterday, it wont make them not count.

If you eat god awful today, and start new tomorrow, your body aint starting new along with your mind, just saying, you better fix it not forgive it.

You ate bad yesterday? Why are you not at the gym today? Why is that bad food still in your house? You going to buy it again at the grocery store too?

youre-awesome.gif
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day, and unfortunately suffered the "Pringle Effect".. You know, "Once You Pop, You Just Can't Stop"..
    It dragged out into a 2 day cheat.. However, I luckily came back to my senses and I'm back into the game..
    I refuse to let that happen again.
    Has this happened to any of you?

That happened to me over the weekend; I was out drinking and eating with friends Thursday/Friday/Saturday. That said, my Thursdays (our social EAT ALL THE SNACKS gaming night) is getting better; I'm going over by less each time, and learning to curb the urge to snack the whole time.
  • Kkhadar06
    Options
    I used to have that problem a lot, where I would be on a tough diet then go crazy and binge on my day(s) off. But since I've been a part of Weight-Watchers, I haven't had that problem at all! I have simply learned to eat the foods I love in moderation, not to cut them out from my diet completely because those cravings will build up and lead to a day where I just eat everything and gain back what I lost. To control/ prevent "The Pringle Effect" I would say to eat the foods you love in moderation and small portion sizes so you don't feel like your depriving yourself.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    It happens to all of us! My birthday became a 4 day weekend and a gain.... This week I behaved and made sure to drink a LOT of water to assist in flushing the retained water out of my body. When I weighted in yesterday, I had lost 6 lbs this week... Don't fret, you must be able to balance your new lifestyle with still allowing yourself to enjoy life. As long as you aren't giving in to the pringle effect every week, or you are being more cautious with it in the future as to not over indulge, you will do great! :happy:
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No. In the year that I have been here, I have learned a lot of very valuable things. One of them being this; just because you say "it's just one day", doesn't mean your body interprets it as such. Now, I do have days where I do not eat as healthfully as I would like. I am steadily improving though, and finding alternatives that I slowly work into my lifestyle to take the place of the chips and pop. And, if I have a day that was just pure waste, I hit it harder for the next few days than I typically would, to remind me of why I don't need those things any more. Tonight, my dinner will not be very healthy. I have made it fit, but the quality is not great. So, tonight, I am running extra and sticking with my portions.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, I do however have days where I eat a lot more than the days preceeding and following. I do a longer or even a double workout that day. Generally, it's not out of left field and I know the extra consumption is coming and I plan for it. It helps that the only ONLY thing I've completely deprived myself of in the last year is potato chips IN my tunafish sandwiches. Anything else I may have really cut down on portion size but I'm in this for life I will eat the food I like I just wont eat it all at once or too much of it.

Because of all this, I haven't binged and I don't suspect I will as binges have been a response to deprivation.