calories

Options
I am so confused.. I am allowed 1290 calories a day.. i usually burn 700-900 a day working out.. i was told i have to eat my 1290 plus what i burn to have accurate weight loss.. they said if not im gonna start storing fat and it wont go away.. is this true or should i just eat my 1290 a day and not worry about it

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    1. Whose they?
    2. You burn 700-900 calories a day? What are you doing?!?!
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    MFP already has your calorie deficit built in to your allowance. You need to eat back what you're burning in exercise.
  • mstoneberger
    mstoneberger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    a trainer at the gym i go to said that.. i just workout at the gym.. i do one cardio machine and usually burn over 700 in an hr on that
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That sounds like alot, I would enter the amount of time in the cardio section of MFP and see if the calories burned match.
  • pamwhite712
    Options
    So you're calculating your calories burned by what a trainer at the gym said.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You've probably set your budget too low to start with and then if you are taking calorie burn numbers off a machine at the gym it's probably way too high. Most machines are horrible liars about what you burn.
  • pamwhite712
    Options
    That sounds like alot, I would enter the amount of time in the cardio section of MFP and see if the calories burned match.

Agree. Without using a heart rate monitor this would be your best bet.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think the general concensus on MFP is that if you are using the caloric goal they set for you automatically, then you should 'eat back' your exercise calories as there is already a deficit built in.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    700 calories in an hour on a cardio machine sounds really high - invest in an HRM.
  • mstoneberger
    Options
    i go by the calories on mfp.. but the trainer said i need to eat all those calories plus the calories i burn.. if i ate all that i would feel like a cow.. what mfp says and the machine is usually pretty close.. and on the machine i put in my weight and it is supposed to have a better reading.. i am just so confused about the weight loss thing.. i have lost 10 pounds but i dont wanna gain that back if my body is gonna start storing fat
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1500 calorie program and water jog 4 nights a week for 90 minutes-I burn in excess of 1200 calories each session but I never eat those calories back. I usually have a healthy protein with a little carb snack, that's all. I have been losing 2 pounds a week for the last three weeks even though my plan has me set for 1 a week. I consider my exercise calories as a "bonus" to make sure my weight continues to come off. My thought is --why kill yourself in the gym if you are just going to eat it all back?? I understand I do need that little additional snack on workout days but I continue to lose so I am pleased. Lots of different opinions out there but I' m sticking firm NOT to eat back my calories.:smile:
  • mstoneberger
    Options
    I am on a 1500 calorie program and water jog 4 nights a week for 90 minutes-I burn in excess of 1200 calories each session but I never eat those calories back. I usually have a healthy protein with a little carb snack, that's all. I have been losing 2 pounds a week for the last three weeks even though my plan has me set for 1 a week. I consider my exercise calories as a "bonus" to make sure my weight continues to come off. My thought is --why kill yourself in the gym if you are just going to eat it all back?? I understand I do need that little additional snack on workout days but I continue to lose so I am pleased. Lots of different opinions out there but I' m sticking firm NOT to eat back my calories.:smile:

this is what i have been doing.. i feel fine eating my 1290 a day and when i burn all the calories at the gym i will have a snack after but i feel like im not doing anything if i eat all those calories back and iv been loosing weight... i just dont want it all to come back
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of circuit and 45 minutes of walking/running intervals and thats only about 450
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with not eating your calories back as long as you stay hydrated, however, if you are only netting 500 for the day.....make sure you do at least eat some kind of snack like you are doing. If you body is too starved, it will begin to store whatever you eat. Protein is a good choice AFTER a workout, Carbs BEFORE.
  • kristinlc88
    kristinlc88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I work out on either the elliptical or bike for an hour a day on the "rolliing" program, so at a few different resistances. I go off of the MFP calories burned and elliptical is about 900 calories, bike is about 700, then I eat back AT LEAST enough of my exercise calories to get to a net of 1200. My base calorie goal is 1320.

I'm getting a HRM to be sure that I'm tracking calories burned correctly, but I've lost 8 pounds since 1/11, so it seems like what I'm doing is working.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    i go by the calories on mfp.. but the trainer said i need to eat all those calories plus the calories i burn.. if i ate all that i would feel like a cow.. what mfp says and the machine is usually pretty close.. and on the machine i put in my weight and it is supposed to have a better reading.. i am just so confused about the weight loss thing.. i have lost 10 pounds but i dont wanna gain that back if my body is gonna start storing fat
    I don't mean to sound rude, but my guess is you were eating more than 1290 calories when you put the weight on so I don't see why it's a problem for you to eat more now.