Thinking about CHIA SEEDS.. what do you think?

Options

Replies

• samlankford
    Options
    i got them for the health of them... i put them on my cottage cheese or on my yogurt along with almonds and fruit... :bigsmile:
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've seen them in the "Natural Foods" section in the grocery store. I'll pass on them due to having images of plastering them on a wet clay animal when my boys were little! lol :laugh: :wink:
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Water them and make a groovy plant-pet.

LOL just what I was thinking!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    And if you don't want to buy online, you can find them fairly cheap at Trader Joe's and Costco.

If you have a Sprouts or Whole Foods store they should have them as well. They're typically cheaper if you buy them in the bulk bins instead of prepackaged.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I eat chia as a source of nutrition. Chia is no more a super food then is oatmeal or blueberries, and it's not a weight loss silver bullet. Chia contains 500 cals per 1/2 cup.

If you want a food source to fill you up try melons, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat chia as a source of nutrition. Chia is no more a super food then is oatmeal or blueberries, and it's not a weight loss silver bullet. Chia contains 500 cals per 1/2 cup.

Uhh... not sure which ones you're using, but definitely try another brand. Mine are white, and are 50 calories for 2TB. Since there are only 16TB in a cup, that would be 200 cals in a 1/2 C and 400 cals in a whole. Anyhow... you need very little... maybe about 2TB for 8-10C of water.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Uhh... not sure which ones you're using, but definitely try another brand. Mine are white, and are 50 calories for 2TB. Since there are only 16TB in a cup, that would be 200 cals in a 1/2 C and 400 cals in a whole. Anyhow... you need very little... maybe about 2TB for 8-10C of water.

Duh....would you believe I made the same mistake just the other day regarding this? LOL Thanks for lookin out for me!

BTW I had about 1/2 cup of low sodium pinto beans with a lot of juice left over. I added some chia and let it thicken....very good!
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think they are a great and nutritious food. Chia seeds form a gellous coating when exposed to water so if you eat they expend in your stomach and can help control hunger. They have a good amount of fiber, antioxidants, Omega 3 and 6, and protein. I like them much better than flaxseeds because they don't require grinding to release their nutrients and they have a milder taste and texture. I throw them in my smoothies, but I'm going to try some Chia pudding recipes soon.
  • paljosey
    Options
    I've just started eating chia seeds, because of all the touted health benefits (omega 3s, etc), but I also feel they help make me feel fuller ... so for me a natural appetite suppressant. I have a big sweet tooth, so anything that helps curb my sweet cravings is a lifesaver. I was introduced to chia pudding at a Whole Foods demo. Wow. Here's the recipe and I try having it on hand all the time now.
    2 tablespoons chia seeds
    1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 tablespoon honey (or agave or maple syrup)
    1 cup coconut milk (can also use almond, soy or cashew, but I found almond milk did not thicken up as well as coconut milk - besides coconut milk made it very yummy)

Makes 1 serving, so I triple the recipe at least. Lasts 2 weeks in frig. Mix all together, chill for 4 hours (allows chia seeds to absorb liquids and thicken). Stir every hour during those 4 hours to prevent clumping. You can also top with fruit, coconut flakes and/or nuts, but I eat mine plain. Enjoy!
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating chia seeds, because of all the touted health benefits (omega 3s, etc), but I also feel they help make me feel fuller ... so for me a natural appetite suppressant. I have a big sweet tooth, so anything that helps curb my sweet cravings is a lifesaver. I was introduced to chia pudding at a Whole Foods demo. Wow. Here's the recipe and I try having it on hand all the time now.
    2 tablespoons chia seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 cup coconut milk (can also use almond, soy or cashew, but I found almond milk did not thicken up as well as coconut milk - besides coconut milk made it very yummy)

Makes 1 serving, so I triple the recipe at least. Lasts 2 weeks in frig. Mix all together, chill for 4 hours (allows chia seeds to absorb liquids and thicken). Stir every hour during those 4 hours to prevent clumping. You can also top with fruit, coconut flakes and/or nuts, but I eat mine plain. Enjoy!

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I use milled Chia as a thickener in sauces (Being Gluten free and a super food).

I sprinkle it on porridge sometimes too. I do't really use it to fill me up, just for the nutritional benefits.

I've gotta say though, if your hubby is going into a diet with the frame of mind he has, it's not going to give him the best results. You can't cheat your body into thinking it's full, it's not a way to loose weight effectively in my opinion.

Tell him to eat protein, cut fats and sugar and to lift heavy. :)
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use milled Chia as a thickener in sauces (Being Gluten free and a super food).

I sprinkle it on porridge sometimes too. I do't really use it to fill me up, just for the nutritional benefits.

I've gotta say though, if your hubby is going into a diet with the frame of mind he has, it's not going to give him the best results. You can't cheat your body into thinking it's full, it's not a way to loose weight effectively in my opinion.

Tell him to eat protein, cut fats and sugar and to lift heavy. :)

Yea... I know he is going into it with the wrong mind set, but at least he is going into it!!!! I can't change him. He has to come to his own conclusions. I've tried to talk to him just about eating right and exercising, gradual weight loss and a healthier life style, but he doesn't want to wait. I tell him he will "have trouble" (aka it will not work!) if he uses weight loss supplements because as soon as he comes off he might gain the weight back.

I imagine he will fail a few times and come around to it. He's kind of stubborn.
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYBODY!!!

I will look into these things!!!:happy:
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Duh....would you believe I made the same mistake just the other day regarding this? LOL Thanks for lookin out for me!

BTW I had about 1/2 cup of low sodium pinto beans with a lot of juice left over. I added some chia and let it thicken....very good!

Anytime... no worries. :smile: I LIKE your bean idea. So far I've only used them in Refrigerator Oats, but since the chia seeds don't really have a taste, they may be my new "go to" solution for a thickener. I was thinking of this yesterday while eating some soup that was too thin. I prefer it chunky. :wink:
  • nje444
    nje444 Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm new to Chia seeds too. Do they really keep you fuller longer? How many servings do you recommend per day? I made vegetable stuffed eggplant with dinner tonight and tossed 2 servings into the vegetables while they sauteed. They didn't change the taste and my husband didn't even notice (he fears change:tongue: ) so I thought I may have a win.
    Is that even the proper way to use them? I see a lot of porridge recipes, which seems like a good idea too, but I don't know if I am a porridge or pudding for breakfast kind of gal.

I'm open to all tips, suggestions, recipes, etc!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like them. I add them to my smoothies and they really do work. They keep you full and are a great source of protein and healthy fats.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have them in my oatmeal every morning, love them!
  • mistyislosingit
    mistyislosingit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons chia seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Sounds really good, I'll have to try it!
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Remember Chia Pets? Those things were cool. Anyway.

I put chia seeds in my smoothies; at first I thought they were slimy and freaky little things but I don't mind them now. I have a feeling they are keeping me feeling "full" longer after those smoothies but I'm not sure. It's not a huge difference but still noticeable.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just started chia seeds today. But they're actually making me bloat really bad. And I didn't use that much. I only did a tbsp. Plus, I haven't quite decided if they're really worth it. I am taking an Omega 3-6-9 so I don't know that I can really get any appropriate benefits from the chia seeds except for the fiber. Has anyone else found this to be a problem?