Is organic milk really better?

Options

Replies

• Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    perhaps "fattening" was a poor choice in words. you are correct no single food is fattenting but if whole milk is drank in abundance then yes that is fattening. Perhaps a better choice in words would be "cholesterol filled"

Dietary cholesterol has no impact on serum cholesterol for most people.

This is correct.

As to the topic at hand, normal milk tastes rotten to me. We have some local grass fed non-homogenized milk that I get sometimes, or I will drink organic valley pasture raised. Anything else literally tastes sour or rotten.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Organic milk is not full of rBGH, also known as BGH (recombinant bovine somatotropin). Farmers often give rBGH to dairy cows to make them more productive.

Also it is much higher in conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs), which is a healthy fat that some research shows might have health benefits.

The best milk of all is RAW organic milk - full of beneficial digestive enzymes, no hormones - straight from the uddder of a healthy cow, just like nature had intended!

Did I mention it TASTES amazing!!!!! :-)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Let the milk hating begin.

The milk debate rather.

Milk seems to be a soar topic around here.

I drink organicwhole milk.

I like the taste
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Organic milk is not full of rBGH, also known as BGH (recombinant bovine somatotropin). Farmers often give rBGH to dairy cows to make them more productive.

Also it is much higher in conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs), which is a healthy fat that some research shows might have health benefits.

The best milk of all is RAW organic milk - full of beneficial digestive enzymes, no hormones - straight from the uddder of a healthy cow, just like nature had intended!

Even dairy farmers don't usually drink their milk raw. Except for the occasional impatience, it is normally boiled before being consumed.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    You mean North Montana?

LOL.........spoken like a true American. I'm not sure about south of the border but in Ontario farmers used to use Jersey cows for production but the gov't saw fit to subsidize the use of Holsteins to increase milk production, doubling it. The quality is no where near as good and why some Scandinavian Countries produce some of the best milk in the world. It's nice to know that gov'ts are out to look after our health.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Even dairy farmers don't usually drink their milk raw. Except for the occasional impatience, it is normally boiled before being consumed.

The ones I know do, maybe it is a southern thing..... I used to get raw milk but I got tired of having to drive 45 minutes out of the way to get it.....
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options

All milk has hormones.....cows naturally produce hormones
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    FFS! Drink whatever you want to drink for whatever reasoning you want to give your choice, fit it into your calories/macros/whatever, and be done with it!
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I say let's let the baby calves have the milk from their mothers as nature intended. The whole thing is just so strange to me. Taking a baby away from it's mother and stealing it's life support. However, if you are going to go this route, I think the most important thing you can look for is that the cows are not treated with growth hormones etc.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

All milk has hormones.....cows naturally produce hormones

And some of them are very helpful for growing children or people trying to add muscle mass. Like, say, IGF-1.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them drinking milk then why "must" they? Milk is really no better a source of calcium than spinach or other leafy greens. Why do you think cows milk is so full of calcium? Because they eat greens. And these days most dairy cows DON'T eat greens so their milk is refortified with calcium in which case you might as well skip that fattening cows milk and give them almond milk as well.

Well I agree, that's the whole problem tho. My kids don't exactly love veggies. My middle son will eat salads with ranch and he will eat other veggies but it concerns me that I'm not giving them enough protein/calcium. My oldest son will ONLY eat carrots, corn, & sometimes green beans. He will eat broccoli if there's cheese involved. It's difficult to know I'm doing the best thing for them. I'm vegetarian and went vegan for awhile (it was hard to maintain as a very busy single mother) so I have done a lot of research which almost makes it harder!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    You mean North Montana?

LOL.........spoken like a true American. I'm not sure about south of the border but in Ontario farmers used to use Jersey cows for production but the gov't saw fit to subsidize the use of Holsteins to increase milk production, doubling it. The quality is no where near as good and why some Scandinavian Countries produce some of the best milk in the world. It's nice to know that gov'ts are out to look after our health.

Hey, we did bring the world Coke and McDonald's. You can thank us later.

OlympicCurling.png
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them drinking milk then why "must" they? Milk is really no better a source of calcium than spinach or other leafy greens. Why do you think cows milk is so full of calcium? Because they eat greens. And these days most dairy cows DON'T eat greens so their milk is refortified with calcium in which case you might as well skip that fattening cows milk and give them almond milk as well.

Well I agree, that's the whole problem tho. My kids don't exactly love veggies. My middle son will eat salads with ranch and he will eat other veggies but it concerns me that I'm not giving them enough protein/calcium. My oldest son will ONLY eat carrots, corn, & sometimes green beans. He will eat broccoli if there's cheese involved. It's difficult to know I'm doing the best thing for them. I'm vegetarian and went vegan for awhile (it was hard to maintain as a very busy single mother) so I have done a lot of research which almost makes it harder!

That certainly makes things tough, I was mostly vegan...then I got pregnant and this baby likes animal products LOL. Will they drink OJ? Lots of OJ is fortified with calcium but that doesn't do anything for the protein. Also, I'd compare your almond milk to cow milk it may have similar amounts of calcium (it all depends on the brand). I, personally, tend to agree with the people that say organic milk is worth the price difference because there are less additives, that being said, if it's too hard on your pocketbook get what you can afford. I know there are those that would argue "it's worth it to give your kids the best" but I think that organic fruits and veggies are a better thing to spend the extra money on (or organic meat if they are eating meat). Do what you gotta do mama! ;)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    You mean North Montana?

Hey, we did bring the world Coke and McDonald's. You can thank us later.

OlympicCurling.png

We redeemed ourselves with hockey.
    WUZwE.gif
  • icmuse
    Options

The ones I know do, maybe it is a southern thing..... I used to get raw milk but I got tired of having to drive 45 minutes out of the way to get it.....
    I have to drive an hour each way to get raw milk, that is why I don't have it that often, unfortunately.

And dairy farmers I grew up around in Europe all drank their milk raw, and so did we.

When I moved to America in 1997, I drank "regular" milk and got violently sick (GI) every time I had it!
    When I made a switch to organic, I digest it perfectly, and I drink whole milk and eat whole fat dairy..... go figure!
  • icmuse
    Options
    """""""[/quote]Canada doesn't use antibiotics or growth hormones in any milk production, regular or organic, and organic has a shorter life up here....just to let people know not everyone lives in the USA.:smile:
    [/quote]

So true, applies to EU as well, growth hormones, plus GM foods are banned
    [/quote]""""""""""

You are so lucky! USA's conventional food is a chuck full of chemicals, hormones and GMO.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Canada doesn't use antibiotics or growth hormones in any milk production, regular or organic, and organic has a shorter life up here....just to let people know not everyone lives in the USA.:smile:

""""""""""

You are so lucky! USA's conventional food is a chuck full of chemicals, hormones and GMO.

Oh, yes. You're so much better off in the EU . . .

Oh wait. You're where again?
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    I can't speak for anywhere but the UK but we have stronger laws on growth hormones and so on. Mainly in the UK organic milk is saying that the cow has eaten grass in a field that hasn't had an pesticides used on it in x years. I don't know what x is.
    Although I myself didn't grow up on a farm my aunt 1 mile down the road for me had a dairy farm and I don't bother buying organic milk as I think it's a load of tosh. It's a lot more expensive too. However if it cost the same I would buy the organic one as I don't have any reason not to. However as a child I often drank raw, non organic milk on my aunts farm.

Agan I can't speak for the rest of the world but Organic milk does not last or stay fresh longer than non organic milk in the UK. It's simply not possible.

I do buy filtered milk on occasion which does last longer and that's useful for me as I don't drink much of it or have cereal etc and I live alone so I tend to throw a lot of it away if I don't buy the filtered stuff. But I have protein shakes a couple of times a week now so I am back on the cheaper non filtered stuff.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Agan I can't speak for the rest of the world but Organic milk does not last or stay fresh longer than non organic milk in the UK. It's simply not possible.

In the US, mass marketed organic milk is UHT treated, also known as ultra-pasteurized - just like Parmalat. It is basically sterilized in order to have a longer shelf life.
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    """""""
    Canada doesn't use antibiotics or growth hormones in any milk production, regular or organic, and organic has a shorter life up here....just to let people know not everyone lives in the USA.:smile:
    [/quote]

[/quote]""""""""""

[/quote]

The statement about antibiotics for Canadian farmers is false...the following applies to most dairy animals .....if the farmer can access antibiotics...third world countires and their farmers dont have the same kind of access to veterinary medicine as the UK, Canada, and US.

Milk and antibiotics don't mix
    Antibiotics are only given to a cow when she is sick. When a cow receives antibiotics, she must be clearly identified and her milk properly discarded for a mandatory withdrawal period until the medication has cleared the cow’s system. A producer who violates these rules would be subjected to severe fines. - Igot this statement from here http://www.dairygoodness.ca/good-health/dairy-facts-fallacies/the-facts-on-antibiotics - a Canadian website about dairy farming....

So while they are not allowed to have it in the milk...they still use antibiotics on sick animals.....even the cleanest dairy operations have animals that can get sick....farmers world wide invest a lot of money into raising a baby cow into a milk producing adult...if that adult cow gets sick they will treat the animal....if they dont they will see a lot hard work and money go down the drain if the animal dies. The antibiotic standards of no medication in the system getting into the milk supplies applies to all dairy animals in the US & Canada. When the milk is picked up from a farm samples are taken. These samples are tested....if there iare anitibiotics in the milk from your farm you pay a fine...if the milk from your farm is mixed into a truck of milk from several farms you pay for all the milk in that truck....plus decontaimination of not only the truck but your enitre milking operation plus not only does the famrer lose money but the distributors that pick up the milk can stop providing the service...BASICALLY it is not in any farmers interest to add the milk of a sick animal in with healthy ones.

Again I can not stress enough that there is no scientific way to test aniamals for the use of rBST. This is because rBST mimicks a naturally occurring hormone in the animals system...so even in a control group an animal who has been given the hormone injection (thats right its a shot) can not through blood work or through study if the milk produced be told apart....this is one of the reasons why the hormones are so controversial because people want to know what they are consuming but with this hormone scientists can even tell!!