sugar free

Options
Today is day 1 without sugar!! It is very hard.

Replies

• blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Give it a week then you won't even miss it.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my sister and brother-in-law have decided to go sugar and wheat free. I'm beginning to see how people can do it and why they would do it. I'm at the home stretch of a cleanse which suggests that I eat mostly fruits and vegetables. Only some grains, like quinoa. But I do still put sugar in my tea. Even though it's organic and as raw as it comes, it's still sugar.

Good luck with your journey!

Shirley
  • Pylebeverly1
    Pylebeverly1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Day 2 without sugar!!
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Going wheat free makes the sugar free thing easier.
  • robertm79
    Options
    been sugar free for a yr now. Use to drink sweet tea by the gallon. Now cant handle it with real sugar...
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    sugar free so no fruit? no bread no carrots no peanut butter? f that
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    More than likely this is processed white and brown sugar. Since all food changes to blood sugar to be metabolized it would be hard to stop eating foods
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    sugar free so no fruit? no bread no carrots no peanut butter? f that

Most of us take "sugar free" to mean no ADDED sugars.

I eat fruit (not much of it), no bread (I'm wheat free, but even when I did, there was no sugar in it).

My peanut butter doesn't have sugar. It's just peanuts.
  • JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just started the sugar free thing on friday and have already lost 2.2 lbs!! It is so hard but today I didnt miss it. Not having sugar in my coffee was a tough one but Im doing fine. Its all mental......get through the first couple days and DO not give in and you will be there! I already feel so much better too...my energy and attitude are up. Crazy how much sugar affects you.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...long term I've found totally sugar-free to be nearly unattainable.

Certainly managed to cut it right back to under MFP's recommendations but it practically eliminates fruit, milk, cereals, etc.

Stick with it as long as you can, then try to reach a balance point.
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    im fourteen weeks into a no added sugar diet, i do eat stone fruit and berries in moderation but in anything packaged after lots of research i stay below 6 grams of sugar per 100gm in anything other than dairy and under 8gms per 100gms for dairy. I found in the beginning this was extremely hard but im used to it now and no what i can and cant have. Its made a huge difference in my body fat percentage and my health in general. Stick with it its worth it!!!
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Most of us take "sugar free" to mean no ADDED sugars.

I eat fruit (not much of it), no bread (I'm wheat free, but even when I did, there was no sugar in it).

My peanut butter doesn't have sugar. It's just peanuts.

Respectfully disagree...my view: MFP doesn't distinguish between added and naturally-occurring sugars in its measurements; neither does food packaging (ie it's not broken down into 'naturally occurring sugars' and 'added sugars' as percentages in the carb / sugar contents. Therefore they should be grouped roughly together. The test is sugarbeet / sugar cane which are like 50% naturally-occurring sucrose, right, so shouldn't be counted towards sugar totals...where do I get me some :-)

There is a recommended threshold for total sugars consumed, so...I mentally group natural and added as being roughly the same, as they are processed in roughly the same way and have roughly the same effect on the body. Managing both keeps me under the sugar % for the day and gives me the flex to have some added sugars, ie coffee with sugar.

Peanuts = 4% sugar. Better than commercial peanut butter, which is like 18%, though.
  • 66MaryTatum
    Options
    I remember the day I decided to cut out sugar, so I say, "go for it." Now, I wouldn't add sugar to a thing, but it took some adjustment. I like to sprinkle a little cinnamon on cereal, fruit, etc. which helps. Good luck! It is worth the effort to your health! Keep us posted!:flowerforyou: