avocado on a sandwich
    avocado on salad
    avocado on baked chicken
    avocado on pan cooked fish
    avocado on crackers
    avocado on veggies
    avocado on rice
    avocado in a tortilla
    avocado with a side of avocado (and maybe a sprinkle of salt)

...mmmmmmm...
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a quarter of an avocado on my omlette than a side of toast or potatoes (not that either of those foods is inherently bad).

I travel for business frequently, eat out frequently. It is amazing how much better a salad is with a few slices of avocado than some yucky dressing. Avocados are a great replacement for rice and beans if my Houston clients want to eat fajitas at lunch. No one accuses me of depriving myself!

I am 54 years old, 5'8" post menopausal and I believe in eating "super foods" like salmon, avocados, almonds, tomatoes to maintain my 45 pound weight loss in 2012. I eat the same foods I ate to lose most of the weight and add back avocado or banana every day along with almonds or walnuts. I also try to remember to eat my one square of 72% cocoa dark chocolate as well. The lifestyle change has brought back glowing skin, more energy and overall just feeling good about myself.

Food is our friend. I heart avocados!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't believe calories are a bad thing, but I do believe I need to limit them by a certain amount if I want to lose weight.

And you know why they are so delicious? Because they are full of fat. Seriously.

Hey, I think they are ok too, when I can decent ones. There's just so much I would choose before avocado to make up my daily food allowance.

You are just chock full 'o 90s fad info, aren't you?? Fat does make things taste good, and fat is important. How many times are we going to have to say it, here? GOOD DIETARY FAT IS GOOD. Avocado provides *necessary* fat as well as delicious flavour. It's basically the worlds most perfect food.
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Im sorry I am really bad about reading all the replies before I post so sorry if this is duplicated. In addition to you NEEDING the kind of fat that avocados have, also equally important is that the other healthy food you eat that has great vitamins and nutrients are absored more effectively with the fat from things such as avocado, nuts, salmon etc. The vitamins and nutrients adhere to this fat and you basically "get more" than if you were to have lower doses of good fats. Blueberries are GREAT for you... eating these with healthy good fats makes them that much better for you!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Well, first off, you can't have guacamole without avocado, so I think it's kind of a big deal.

this

i like to put it on my tomato sammiches instead of mayo...YUM
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the avocado flavor, you might like the "slimcado." It's basically a larger Florida avocado but the taste is a lot milder. Nutritionally, it's the same fruit per fruit... but the Slimcado has more volume so it's a bigger fruit.

To me, both have a creamy texture that makes a very good substitute for mayonnaise in Chicken salad or tuna salad sandwiches.
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It tastes awesome. It's a good fat source.

And it tastes awesome. Have you ever TRIED chocolate avocado mousse with a flake bar crushed into it? If not... Do so.

As I am lactose intolerant - this has become my go to "chocolate pudding"!

2 ripe avocados
    2 medium bananas
    6-8 T unsweetened cocoa powder
    1t vanilla extract
    1t cinnamon

Process the avocados + bananas in a blender until smooth; add all other ingredients and process again until smooth. Refrigerate unril ready to serve.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    After quickly perusing this thread, I do not see the most important point in eating fats: fat soluble vitamins.
    Vitamins A D E & K are fat soluble and you need them for good health.
    Yes, there are other sources for these, but avocado contains A & E as well as C, B vitamins and minerals and mono-unsaturated fats which can help lower blood pressure.
    You are welcome.
    :drinker:
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just started to eat some half avocados...very nice flavor.

Not to hijack thread but store the uneaten portions in a container of diced onions and they won't spoil for many days.

You should never ever under ANY circumstances pre chop onions!! EVER!

why? o_O

there are studies that say once an onion is cut into, it can collect surrounding toxins. then in turn you eat those toxins. during the days of the plague, people would chop onions and place them in bowls on the floor in every room of their house to help collect the toxins before they could reach the people living in the home.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    The problem with avocados is that they are so addicting, and you can eat them with almost anything (veggies, cheese, eggs, sandwiches, meat, chocolate--okay, maybe not chocolate).

Honestly, if I cut half of one up on a salad, along with some grilled chicken, that holds me until dinner much better than if I'd used cheese instead.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    chocolate--okay, maybe not chocolate

Nope chocolate- post on page 2 shows how she makes pudding from them.,,
  • jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Mono fats are essential in muscle building and fat loss. the general rule is to eat 30% your weight in saturated fats, 30% in mono and 30% in polyunsaturated, daily. the myth of not eating any fats in a diet is just that, a myth. avacados also have lots of protein, blueberries are terrific for antioxidants, but you should def pay attention to your fat intake, not too much, not too little and you'll be suprised at the change in your bod.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1) yum
    2) excellent source of monounsaturated fats
    3) high in fiber, 10 grams of fiber in a 5oz avocado. That's more than half a day's requirement for me in 250 calories.
    4) It has 50 calories per ounce. It is not considered a high calorie food based on FDA guidelines. It is a mid-calorie food.
    5) it is filling.

I had half an avocado for lunch along with a veggie salad, and it filled me up. I'm having to wait a bit to eat more because my stomach is full. This always happens when I eat an avocado. I don't get enough calories in one sitting if I eat the avocado first because I get full.

Oh, yeah. And guacamole.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't believe calories are a bad thing, but I do believe I need to limit them by a certain amount if I want to lose weight.

And you know why they are so delicious? Because they are full of fat. Seriously.

Hey, I think they are ok too, when I can decent ones. There's just so much I would choose before avocado to make up my daily food allowance.

You are just chock full 'o 90s fad info, aren't you?? Fat does make things taste good, and fat is important. How many times are we going to have to say it, here? GOOD DIETARY FAT IS GOOD. Avocado provides *necessary* fat as well as delicious flavour. It's basically the worlds most perfect food.

You're just chock full of condescension, aren't you??

As for keeping avocados, I've always had luck just keeping the stone in the unused half, which seems to help prevent it browning.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    OP, you definitely should not be eating avocado. There's a limited supply and I want them. Give them up!
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Guacamole
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

You're just chock full of condescension, aren't you??

Yup.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather have a big cup of blueberries for a snack than half an avocado, for half the calories and none of the fat.

I understand it's better than eating straight lard, I just don't see the great value in it when added up against other foods.

1 big cup of blueberries has a HUGE amount of sugar and with spike your sugar levels....as for avocado does not
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    The Aztecs used avocado as a sex stimulant and the Aztec name for avocado was ahuacatl, which means "testicle."
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Different strokes, for different folks..and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo now.