milk: what do you drink?

Options
cbnorris
cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
So I've recently switched from 2% to almond milk. I was reading an article on webMD and came across this:

“Protein contains leucine, an amino acid that seems to protect you from muscle loss during a diet,” says Stuart M. Phillips, Ph.D., associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario. Skim milk can help even more: Phillips and his team tracked 56 men who pumped iron five days a week for three months and found that those who downed two cups of fat-free milk soon after their workout built more muscle — and lost more flab — than those who drank soy milk or a flavored-carbohydrate drink. “We have evidence that the benefit is very similar for women,” Phillips notes. “They don’t put on as much muscle as men, but they lose more fat.”

I'm now debating switching back to milk, maybe 1% or skim instead.

What are your thoughts? What do you drink and why?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    2%. Because I think it tastes the best. 1% is a little too "thin" for my tastebuds, and skim tastes like chalky water. I've heard a lot about drinking lowfat chocolate milk after a workout...both here on MFP and my son's football coach also told the boys to do it. Something about the protein+sugars is a great combo apparently. I don't work out hard enough to feel like I need this, though :blushing:
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Skim. and I switched my kids over too.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    2% in order to absorb the vitamin D in order to absorb the calcium. You need 2% to do this.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    1 % when I do drink milk. I usually will drink either soy/almond/hemp milk and I really like kefir.
    Forgot to mention- I only drink organic.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I will always have regular milk in my diet, probably because I"m from the Midwest, but because for me it is the best way I can get calcium into my diet on a regular basis. Calcium is a key component for losing weight and for building lean muscle, milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese- all important in moderation. I switched from 2% to 1% for the calories but I am thinking of going back up to 2% because while 2% has more fat and calories, 1% and skim have more sugar and carbs- so it depends on how it fits with your diet and needs.
  • kltobin2010
    kltobin2010 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In general, I'm not a HUGE milk drinker, but I know its very good for your body, so I drink Skim. My kids are young so they drink Whole. Sometimes I mix my milk with Skim and Whole because the Saturated Fat in milk is good for you. It's the same kind if fat found in avocados and coconut milk!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    In general, I'm not a HUGE milk drinker, but I know its very good for your body, so I drink Skim. My kids are young so they drink Whole. Sometimes I mix my milk with Skim and Whole because the Saturated Fat in milk is good for you. It's the same kind if fat found in avocados and coconut milk!

Actually saturated fat needs to be avoided when possible (it's the unsaturated fats that are good for you).
  • cbnorris
    Options
    I wonder what it would taste like if I mixed almond milk with 2%

I originally switched to almond milk for the lower calories. Plus, I had seen a thread on here where people were talking about how good it was. I actually quite like the taste but I'm starting to realize that fewer calories often times does not mean better for you.
  • BetterSexy
    BetterSexy Posts: 81
    Options
    Maybe you should try a combination... I prefer rice milk in my cereal, chocolate soy as a treat, and skim cows milk any other time... I am phasing animal milks out of my diet due to other reasons. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I drink a variety of Milk and milk substitutes. Mostly 1% milk, with some vanilla soy milk, and even less almond milk.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have to drink soy milk... I'm lactose intolerance and I can't stand the taste of milk since I haven't really drank it for the past 23 years. I choose it over almond milk because it does have a higher amount of protein per glass (6g for 8z instead of just 1g for almond). I take a multivitamin to make sure I'm getting enough nutrients since I can't have milk. I'm a little envious of all the benefits you can get drinking milk. It would make me too ill thought.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I originally switched to almond milk for the lower calories. Plus, I had seen a thread on here where people were talking about how good it was. I actually quite like the taste but I'm starting to realize that fewer calories often times does not mean better for you.

It tastes great, I mix vanilla soy or almond milk with 1% at about 2 to one with milk being the 2. I do this on cereal too, and I don't need to add any sugar.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I prefer light soy milk, rice milk, or almond milk. Aside from being lactose intolerant (it took me til I was 21 to figure that out! :tongue: ), I've read a lot of research that makes me personally want to stay away from/cut down on dairy. One book if you're interested in reading anything about it (and eating animal products in general) by a famous nutrition researcher is "The China Study," by T. Colin Campbell. It's based on the biggest epidemiological study ever done in nutrition, and the findings are astounding! :noway: :smile: . Btw, I've cut out dairy and meat (still eat fish though), and by incorporating more plant sources of calcium and protein have been able to put on more muscle than I ever did before on a meat/dairy diet. :drinker:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

Almond milk does lack the protein content of milk (but for those of us of the vegetarian persuasion almond milk is great)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Skim....all the way. I've grown up drinking it so I've acquired a taste for it and even 1% tastes weird. But, I like that you get the benefit of the protein without all the extra calories and fat.
  • cbnorris
    Options
    I feel as if I'm slightly lactose intolerant as well. Milk always upsets my stomach if I drink too much, but I'm fine if I drink just a little bit.
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I choose skim milk. I have some in my cereal each morning and then use it to make my chocolate milk recovery drinks. I like the flavor, the no fat and the protein.
  • cbnorris
    Options
    I prefer light soy milk, rice milk, or almond milk. Aside from being lactose intolerant (it took me til I was 21 to figure that out! :tongue: ), I've read a lot of research that makes me personally want to stay away from/cut down on dairy. One book if you're interested in reading anything about it (and eating animal products in general) by a famous nutrition researcher is "The China Study," by T. Colin Campbell. It's based on the biggest epidemiological study ever done in nutrition, and the findings are astounding! :noway: :smile: . Btw, I've cut out dairy and meat (still eat fish though), and by incorporating more plant sources of calcium and protein have been able to put on more muscle than I ever did before on a meat/dairy diet. :drinker:

What are good plant sources of calcium?
  • Naniflora
    Naniflora Posts: 7
    Options
    Very little milk anymore. I am one of those who loves milk in any form. I have to limit my intake as I would drink the whole half gallon. I drink Crystal lite, and Walmart's brand which is pretty good. I like my tea unsweetened so there is no problem there. I drink a lot of water. Spend lots of time in the bathroom. LOL
  • newbierun14
    newbierun14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a milk drinker. I drink at least a glass a day, mostly because I just love the taste so much. I usually have my glass right after my run. Milk has a great source of easy to break down carbohydrates and protein. The carbohydrates go right into refueling the body and the protein goes to help repair the muscle fiber that was broken down while exercising. Also the myths about whole milk being better for you are mostly false. If you are a toddler, than whole milk is great because it's a great way for kids to get calories for growth. However as an adult, you can get all of the benefits from milk by drinking skim.