Any female snowboarders out there?

Options
<
Sadly this pic is from last season since I haven't had a chance to get up and ride this season (thats what having kids will do that to you, they take all your free time!). But should be getting up there soon! Just curious if there are any females out there who love riding as much as me! None of my girlfriends snowboard so I figured if I can't have any real life snowboard girlfriends then virtual ones will have to do lol! Its usually just me and the boys (i.e. husband. brother, friends etc).

And to keep in line with the whole fitness and exercise topic, are there any great exercises that anyone would reccomend that you felt really helped you step up your game on the mountain?

Planning on going up soon, just waiting for a powder day so I can really burn some calories, not my main motivation of course but definitely a nice bonus! As we all know, riding in powder is it's own reward! :)

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup.

Haven't been up this year yet. The snow in CO has sucked the last 2 years. We are going Presidents Day though (to south-west CO).

Heavy lifting. When I got back into it after I think my 2nd kid by quads, feet and calves couldn't handle a full down. Now I do heavy squats and could stay on my heels all day. And yeah, just general cardio to keep that aspect up. I also mountain bike which I find is more of a cardio drain than boarding.
  • malperels
    malperels Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here here! Just went yesterday for the first time since last year, and it was amazing! I'm also looking for strengthening exercises for my calves/ankles; things hurt pretty quick once I strapped in. Those heavy squats sound good for the quads!
  • aliciaje
    Options
    Hi everyone I ski and snowboard, but mainly ski now due to past injuries. My advice is squats, wallsits and lunges! When I snowboarded competitively I did weights at the gym but also did Ashtanga yoga 3 or more times a week for all-over strength and balance. Now I am doing Insanity which feels like its getting all my ski/snowboard muscles, plus it's a killer workout for the calves!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me jealous. I live in Arizona and while there are mountains I just havent been able to get to them. Due to life been a while since I've been able to go. I miss it a lot.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    12 year snowboarder here! Love it love it LOVE IT!! Finally got some pow about 3 weeks ago at Snowshoe, West Virginia...loooove tearing it up and the great calorie burn!
  • tinanana7
    tinanana7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I definitely need to work out my legs more before I head up. The snow is back so hopefully ill get up there soon!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    LOVE snowboarding! I've done 5 days so far this season, and headed up again next weekend.

Where I live, there are 7 mountains within a 3 hour drive (one of which is Whistler!) and 3 of those are within a 1 hour drive so I have it pretty good!
  • tressieazbill
    tressieazbill Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My husband goes to Park City Utah every so often..I would if I had the time and the money but being a mother of 4 its hard. I would like to go at least once this year though..Where do you go?
  • tinanana7
    tinanana7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    LOVE snowboarding! I've done 5 days so far this season, and headed up again next weekend.

Where I live, there are 7 mountains within a 3 hour drive (one of which is Whistler!) and 3 of those are within a 1 hour drive so I have it pretty good!

Lucky! I am about 5 hours from Whistler but the exchange rates are killing me right now and haven't been up for a couple years. I used to go annually though, love it up there. I will have to stick to my local mountains for now, which to be honest are still pretty fun! :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Tinanana7, whistler is on my TO DO for the next month!!!!!

I have been hitting Stevens Pass a bit this year and Whiteface Mountain in NY as well. KILLING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    OH YEAH!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    <
    Sadly this pic is from last season since I haven't had a chance to get up and ride this season (thats what having kids will do that to you, they take all your free time!). But should be getting up there soon! Just curious if there are any females out there who love riding as much as me! None of my girlfriends snowboard so I figured if I can't have any real life snowboard girlfriends then virtual ones will have to do lol! Its usually just me and the boys (i.e. husband. brother, friends etc).

And to keep in line with the whole fitness and exercise topic, are there any great exercises that anyone would reccomend that you felt really helped you step up your game on the mountain?

Planning on going up soon, just waiting for a powder day so I can really burn some calories, not my main motivation of course but definitely a nice bonus! As we all know, riding in powder is it's own reward! :)

I just have two things to say:

(1) I dunno how old your kids are but most of the places around here have schools you can put the kids into while you tear it up. Or you can arrange with other parents to take turns boarding and with kiddos. I take my son with me. He's pretty darn good, but he's also 11.

(2) I think squats have helped with my game.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Love snowboarding, and picked up skiing this year as well to mix it up a bit.

For snowboarding, I recommend LOTS of squats / lunges and core. The best snowboarding shape I was ever in was when I was going to Les Mills Bodypump class regularly - 5 min of squats and 5 min of lunges (both with weights) 2-3 times a week will give you a ton of endurance on the mountain!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I get so jealous when my mfp friends post about snowboarding! I did a week in Andorra once and a few days here and there when I lived in Japan. We tend to go back to Japan in the winter, so I really hope to get the chance to do it there again someday. My 5 year old loves speed, so I think he'd love it too!

When I was in Andorra I'd just had 12 sessions of physio for a sprained ankle (thanks to the French health service) and the boarding completely cured it!