Personal Trainer Question?

Options
srpm
srpm Posts: 275 Member
So I joined a new gym because the one I have a free membership to does not have personal trainers and I tend to avoid weights because I don't really know what I am doing but I want to tone up and know that the best way to start is with weights. I like every aspect of the new gym, it is about 10 blocks from my house so when the weather is nice I can walk/run/bike there and it is on my way to/from work so I have no reason not to stop. They also have great facilities including a pool, dry sauna, steam room, hot tub, and even a eucalyptus infused room that really opens up the sinuses and I am sure I will use next time I feel a cold coming on if not just in general after workouts to relax.
Here's the problem. I have my first personal training session this week and when I spoke with the trainer over the weekend about my goals etc she said "just remember women want to do low weight and lots of repetition so we don't bulk up." I know that this idea has been dis-proven and is outdated, and I don't want to lift heavy from day one because I know that wouldn't be safe since I don't know what I am doing, however I do want the freedom to add weight as I get stronger without feeling like my PT is going to disagree with me.
Should I discuss this with the trainer I was assigned based on availability when I signed up or should I maybe ask to try another trainer until I find one who has a philosophy closer to mine? Would it be rude to ask for a different trainer? The women who I am assigned to is twice my age and looks amazing but she also said that because of her age she doesn't lift outside of demonstrating for her clients proper technique any more so I really don't know the best way to approach the situation. Is there an acceptable protocol for changing trainers withing the same gym? Any advice would be great.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So I joined a new gym because the one I have a free membership to does not have personal trainers and I tend to avoid weights because I don't really know what I am doing but I want to tone up and know that the best way to start is with weights. I like every aspect of the new gym, it is about 10 blocks from my house so when the weather is nice I can walk/run/bike there and it is on my way to/from work so I have no reason not to stop. They also have great facilities including a pool, dry sauna, steam room, hot tub, and even a eucalyptus infused room that really opens up the sinuses and I am sure I will use next time I feel a cold coming on if not just in general after workouts to relax.
    Here's the problem. I have my first personal training session this week and when I spoke with the trainer over the weekend about my goals etc she said "just remember women want to do low weight and lots of repetition so we don't bulk up." I know that this idea has been dis-proven and is outdated, and I don't want to lift heavy from day one because I know that wouldn't be safe since I don't know what I am doing, however I do want the freedom to add weight as I get stronger without feeling like my PT is going to disagree with me.
    Should I discuss this with the trainer I was assigned based on availability when I signed up or should I maybe ask to try another trainer until I find one who has a philosophy closer to mine? Would it be rude to ask for a different trainer? The women who I am assigned to is twice my age and looks amazing but she also said that because of her age she doesn't lift outside of demonstrating for her clients proper technique any more so I really don't know the best way to approach the situation. Is there an acceptable protocol for changing trainers withing the same gym? Any advice would be great.

I don't have that problem at my gym--the male trainers are NOT of that mindset.

I would go ahead and have the one session you already have scheduled...then talk to whoever assigns the PTs. Explain to him/her that you do not feel the trainer assigned to you is a good fit. You would like someone a little more in line with your philosophy and goals.

Personally, there are several female trainers at the YMCA where I work out, but I am planning on training with a 20-something guy. I have seen some of the sessions he has had with other women, and I like what he has them doing. Also, for me personally, I feel more secure having a male trainer--if I get into trouble with the weights, they would be able to help me.
  • srpm
    Options
    I should probably add this is a women's only gym, so all of the trainers are women. (I joined not because it is women's only but because it is the best gym that is close enough to make it realistic for me to go that also offers classes I enjoy at times I can attend). Also the trainer I was assigned is the person in charge of making the assignments. I'm not sure if she is the actual gym owner or if she is just a manager of some sort but she has been there the longest (27 years) of all the trainers they have on staff.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I think low weights with high repetitions is mostly used for toning. Women aren't designed to 'bulk up' like men. By that I mean, you can lift weights all you want, you'll look toned, tight, and fit. It's not a bad thing. You're not going to turn into the incredible Hulk..hehe. Just tell her you're interested in higher weights as well to increase strength.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    read this article on www.leangains.com - train like a man look like a goddess...

there is no reason that you can't be doing deadlifts, squats, pullups/chinups, overhead preses etc...

I sometimes watch the personal trainers at my gym training people and it makes me shake my head..they are never deadlifting, squating, doing pullups etc..just doing plyo or low weight stuff...ughh..that stuff will work for a while but you will not get strong...

I would use the PT to show you proper form on certain moves I.e squats, deads etc..and then strike out on your own...You should be training so that you are consistenly increasing weights and reps...that is what I do...and i have one from deadlfiting 150# three months to 300# last week...

thats my two cents...:)
  • srpm
    Options
    read this article on www.leangains.com - train like a man look like a goddess...

there is no reason that you can't be doing deadlifts, squats, pullups/chinups, overhead preses etc...

I sometimes watch the personal trainers at my gym training people and it makes me shake my head..they are never deadlifting, squating, doing pullups etc..just doing plyo or low weight stuff...ughh..that stuff will work for a while but you will not get strong...

I would use the PT to show you proper form on certain moves I.e squats, deads etc..and then strike out on your own...You should be training so that you are consistenly increasing weights and reps...that is what I do...and i have one from deadlfiting 150# three months to 300# last week...

This is exactly what I want to do because I have seen results faster in the women who do this over the ones who stick with low weight/high rep and never increase. I'm just not sure what the best way to go about telling the trainer that this is what i want to do is, if I should just say "I know you're the pro and all but I know more than you" which sounds kind of snotty, or if there is a good way to ask for a different trainer until I find one I like.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Once you learn the basics, then ditch the trainer and do what you darn well please.

I've used a trainer for 2 years, and recently got rid of him due to the fact that I switched gyms. While he had me squat, deadlift, etc, it wasn't enough I felt like.

Now that i'm on my own, I plan on doing strong lifts 5X5 for a bit to see what happens.
  • lisawmi
    lisawmi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would see that as a red flag myself. Trainers should know better. I would look for another trainer.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I want to do because I have seen results faster in the women who do this over the ones who stick with low weight/high rep and never increase. I'm just not sure what the best way to go about telling the trainer that this is what i want to do is, if I should just say "I know you're the pro and all but I know more than you" which sounds kind of snotty, or if there is a good way to ask for a different trainer until I find one I like.

tell the trainer that you want to learn proper form for squats, deadlifts, etc...once you have the form down ditch him/her...if they keep trying to turn you away from them get a new PT...
  • srpm
    Options

tell the trainer that you want to learn proper form for squats, deadlifts, etc...once you have the form down ditch him/her...if they keep trying to turn you away from them get a new PT...

Thanks for the help. I guess as long as I'm sticking with it I don't have to keep having the sessions even though they are included in my membership.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer at a well known Athletic club. There are 19 other trainers there. There will always be clients that I would not be the best fit for as another trainer may be for them. Do not feel bad if you do not feel like it is a good fit for you and ask for another trainer. It has to be what is best for you and your needs not the trainer.
  • srpm
    Options
    In case anyone is following along/cares my session was last night and actually was with a different trainer, the one I was scheduled with was sick. I think no matter what trainer I am with though everything is going to work out the way I want. The gym uses a team approach to the training so that if something happens like yesterday with a sick trainer it doesn't completely throw the client for a loop having someone else. They discuss each client, their needs and keep records of goals and what is being worked on and what is done (weight/reps/etc) so that it is easily accessible by everyone. Since I am learning how to use the equipment we are going to focus on one body area per week so that I can learn all of the machines etc. and work on my one. Yesterday I did arm machines, next week we will do leg machines and then free weights, etc. with a goal of learning how to properly use 5-7 things per session. Once I have learned all of the equipment we will start mixing things up a bit based on my goals and that is when I will probably start scheduling consistently with a single trainer. I'm excited because while I am learning the machines I will get to work with a handful of different trainers which means I should be able to pick someone who I mesh well with for the majority of my sessions. They do preach the low weight high rep thing but once I know what I am doing no matter when trainer I pick they will discuss what I want to work on in more depth than was done during my initial consultation and I should be able to switch things up from there without too much push-back.

As for how I feel after last night--I definitely had an effective workout, I didn't realize how out of shape I really am. It's probably a good thing I am starting at such a low weight because I don't know if I would have been able to walk today if I had worked with anything heavier even with less reps!
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Good to hear. :-)