went over with carbs and always go over on protien

Options
2»

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    First off...what works for me may not work for you.

I like to keep things simple. I'm not concerned about ANYTHING but net calories for the week. I don't care how much carbohydrate, sugar, fat, or salt food has.....JUST CALORIES. It's a simple mathematical formula. If you burn more than you take in...YOU'LL LOSE WEIGHT. That way I can eat ANYTHING I want.

Next....this is a SLOW LOSS PLAN. One MUST be patient. If you go by MFP's recommendation one pound/week loss is EXCELLENT!

Just keep thinking that a year from now you'll weigh 52 POUNDS LESS!!!! You didn't gain all the weight overnight....you shouldn't try to lose it all overnight.

Good luck!

Pretty much this. Also, if you're going to go "over" on any given macro, protein is the best.
  • brendahanson
    Options
    slim fast only works the first time around. june 2012 i had a certain food and workout system with slimfast. lost 15lbs that month then stopped slimfast and got on a bad track again.
    jan 2013 do the EXACT same workout and eating routine (minus walking because of the snow) and i did not lose ANYTHING for 3 weeks. NOT ONE SINGLE POUND.

so be careful,
  • kinkyvampire
    kinkyvampire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't for a second trust a diet that is based on drinking a can of processed God-knows-what...

I mean, really? I didn't even know they still MADE Slim-fast... Let's be honest - if that *kitten* really worked, we'd all know by now.

Eat REAL food, and eat it the right way, and then we can try and help.
    I can understand your point of view but I use only 1% fat milk as it is more healthy with the shakes I have and tbh it is the only diet that has worked for me. I know a few people think it is bad but I've tried heating healthy and exercises, slimming world, weight watchers and I have always fallen back on the lets eat loads of crap band wagon because I need a strict routine. I think the only other thing that would work for me would be a diet chef but I really can't afford that kind of money at the moment xx,

It's funny to see that people actually think I'm not getting enough protein haha xD.
  • kinkyvampire
    kinkyvampire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    slim fast only works the first time around. june 2012 i had a certain food and workout system with slimfast. lost 15lbs that month then stopped slimfast and got on a bad track again.
    jan 2013 do the EXACT same workout and eating routine (minus walking because of the snow) and i did not lose ANYTHING for 3 weeks. NOT ONE SINGLE POUND.

so be careful,

thank you for the tip xx This is the longest I've ever been on a diet scheme so I'm really hoping I keep on this. My OH is so supporting of me :3 I do gentle exercise (not loads I'll admit) mostly on the wii. I've lost 9lb in nearly 3 weeks :3.
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fitness guru Bob Harper has great advice in his skinny rules book! The one thing that I found super interesting is that most people don't eat enough protein, and that's often what gets cut out of diets. His advice was half your weight should be eaten in protein grams. So if a person weighs 200lbs then they should be having 100gm of protein/day to sustain their body.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how much do you weight?

you should get 1lb of protein per lb of body weight...do you work out much?

So I should get 103 pounds of protein a day?:wink:

I would say yes...
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Macros. Carbs. Protein. Fat. Pfft. :tongue:
    I'm a calorie watcher. That's it.
    Maybe I'll feel differently re maintenance, but for weight loss, it is all about net calories for me. Sometimes they're good healthy calories. Sometimes they're delicious cookies and cream shake calories. Whatever. It is working for me. Losing weight (three lbs. from my goal now). Just had physical, including blood work, and all my numbers are good -- which they were not before getting on the program.
    Anyway, I would not sweat it. If perfection is what you're looking for, I feel you're setting up for failure. If you do pretty well more often than not, you can, indeed, be a success story.
    Either way, I wish you lots of luck and much success. :drinker:
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't for a second trust a diet that is based on drinking a can of processed God-knows-what...

I mean, really? I didn't even know they still MADE Slim-fast... Let's be honest - if that *kitten* really worked, we'd all know by now.

I can understand your point of view but I use only 1% fat milk as it is more healthy with the shakes I have and tbh it is the only diet that has worked for me. I know a few people think it is bad but I've tried heating healthy and exercises, slimming world, weight watchers and I have always fallen back on the lets eat loads of crap band wagon because I need a strict routine. I think the only other thing that would work for me would be a diet chef but I really can't afford that kind of money at the moment xx,

Re-read what you just wrote...

"This is the only one that works.

I've tried other diets but eventually I quit.

I need a strict routine."

On the next post you said it's only been 3 weeks.

You haven't supported your "slim fast diet" case one bit. Those other diets didn't fail you - YOU failed you. YOU quit. YOU started "eating loads of bad crap" again. If you think Slim-Fast is more "strict" than Weight Watchers, then I might suggest you use the insanity plea...

Hey - I get it. I did the same thing. I took the Atkins approach in 2009. I lost 15 pounds or so. Then I moved and gave it up pretty quickly and just quit thinking/worrying about it. That was MY fault. It wasn't Atkins.

Now I'm just eating better - I'm not trying low-carb, low-fat, low/high anything. I'm just counting calories - and even that I've only been doing for a few months. I've lost 52 pounds. I've been at it for 10 months now. I attribute my success to NOTHING but myself. It's all me. No fad dieting styles, no stupid gimmicks, and DEFINITELY no store-bought products with commercials that put "results not typical" on the screen in super-tiny font...

Now - you want to keep doing Slim Fast - FINE. You're losing weight with it - GREAT. Either way it frankly doesn't matter to me. But you come here and want us to try and fix your "diet" when two of your three meals are set in stone by a commercial product. We can't help you. Well, we can, and I did - my advice was "lose the slim-fast and eat real food." When you eat real food, you can control everything. With Slim Fast, you're putting 66% of your weight loss in the hands of Unilever. By the way, they also make hair-care products and bath-soap... How much research-and-development do you think they're putting into their weight-loss milk shakes?

My rant is over. Good luck.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Re-read what you just wrote...

"This is the only one that works.

I've tried other diets but eventually I quit.

I need a strict routine."

On the next post you said it's only been 3 weeks.

You haven't supported your "slim fast diet" case one bit. Those other diets didn't fail you - YOU failed you. YOU quit. YOU started "eating loads of bad crap" again. If you think Slim-Fast is more "strict" than Weight Watchers, then I might suggest you use the insanity plea...

Hey - I get it. I did the same thing. I took the Atkins approach in 2009. I lost 15 pounds or so. Then I moved and gave it up pretty quickly and just quit thinking/worrying about it. That was MY fault. It wasn't Atkins.

Now I'm just eating better - I'm not trying low-carb, low-fat, low/high anything. I'm just counting calories - and even that I've only been doing for a few months. I've lost 52 pounds. I've been at it for 10 months now. I attribute my success to NOTHING but myself. It's all me. No fad dieting styles, no stupid gimmicks, and DEFINITELY no store-bought products with commercials that put "results not typical" on the screen in super-tiny font...

Now - you want to keep doing Slim Fast - FINE. You're losing weight with it - GREAT. Either way it frankly doesn't matter to me. But you come here and want us to try and fix your "diet" when two of your three meals are set in stone by a commercial product. We can't help you. Well, we can, and I did - my advice was "lose the slim-fast and eat real food." When you eat real food, you can control everything. With Slim Fast, you're putting 66% of your weight loss in the hands of Unilever. By the way, they also make hair-care products and bath-soap... How much research-and-development do you think they're putting into their weight-loss milk shakes?

My rant is over. Good luck.

Your assertion that processed foods would make a bit of difference in weight loss isn't back by anything that approaches science.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yeah - you're right. I'm clearly making this *kitten* up...

BaKkZJl.png

Do some reading (it might help with your grammar) and I'll catch ya on the flip-side.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    Yeah - you're right. I'm clearly making this *kitten* up...

Do some reading (it might help with your grammar) and I'll catch ya on the flip-side.

You seriously used a random Google search result page to attempt to justify your claim when my objection related to scientific backing? You didn't even use Google scholar, not that it would have been that much better. If you had better reading skills yourself, you'd know my objection said nothing about you making anything up. I just think you're wrong : )

By all means, let the Google zeitgeist tell you what's healthy.

lol
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a stupid question and it's beating me up!! What does it mean when people say "burn more than you take in"???? So I'm supposed to burn 1300 calories per day? Theres no possible way for me to know how many calories I burn in an entire day (besides my workouts with my hrm)

Someone please put it in understandable terms. Be nice.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    I have a stupid question and it's beating me up!! What does it mean when people say "burn more than you take in"???? So I'm supposed to burn 1300 calories per day? Theres no possible way for me to know how many calories I burn in an entire day (besides my workouts with my hrm)

Someone please put it in understandable terms. Be nice.

They're referring to the single requirement for weight loss: a caloric deficit. Your body burns calories apart from what you do when you exercise. Breathing, digestion, all of it counts towards that "burning more than you take in" that people reference. "Burning" is what your body does to fuel itself, the 'taking in' part would be eating, or taking in fuel.

If MFP gave you a calorie goal of 1300, that means that given your activity settings, you're likely to burn more than 1300 by just doing your daily activities. This would create a caloric deficit.