Natural Peanut Butter

Options
2»

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Peanut oil is known as groundnut oil in the shops.

So yes, it comes out of the nuts.

I can't decide whether this thread is a joke or not....
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ....oh, and peanuts don't grow on trees.
    So says you. It makes no difference. It does not make you better than me.

I have a peanut tree. In the spring, you drill a hole into it, stick a jar underneath and it fills up with peanut butter. Where the h3ll did you guys grow up with no peanut trees? Enjoy your factory "fake" PB.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

If peanut butter is not from nature, then I would not call it nature. It is no more natural than a sandwich. People make it, not nature. This is really disappointed.

No, peanuts are natural. The peanuts are inside the shells that grow at the base of the plants. Under the soil. Those are dried and then ground to make peanut butter. The store bought jiffy junk is processed and not natural, but real peanut butter sure is.

Your confusion about the trees may be because peanuts aren't a nut. They are a legume.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I have a peanut tree. In the spring, you drill a hole into it, stick a jar underneath and it fills up with peanut butter. Where the h3ll did you guys grow up with no peanut trees? Enjoy your factory "fake" PB.
    Now I don't know what to believe.
  • suzukideb
    Options
    I love natural peanut butter. When I get a new jar I dump it in a clean bowel and mix the oil in. Then put it all back in the jar and store in the fridge. Works great. I also will sometimes take 1 tablespoon honey and add a half tablespoon peanut butter to make a topping for banana pancakes.
  • suzukideb
    Options
    You can also make your own peanut butter. I have a vita mix and have ground the peanuts myself. I had very good results. I am not sure all blenders can do this like a vita mix.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    I love natural peanut butter. When I get a new jar I dump it in a clean bowel and mix the oil in.
    Is that like a cleanse, when you put it in your bowel? Is it healthier that way? I'm getting more confused by the minute.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I love natural peanut butter. When I get a new jar I dump it in a clean bowel and mix the oil in.
    Is that like a cleanse, when you put it in your bowel? Is it healthier that way? I'm getting more confused by the minute.

Hahahaha! The peanut bowel cleanse. VERY healthy. I suggest trying this.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yum, just stir it in!! It's a great healthy fat. I keep mine in the fridge to keep it from separating again. :)
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Turn it the other way around after using.

This just changed my life. No more oil spills when stirring maybe? wow! LOL. Seriously, it's little things like this that should be obvious- but I see one and go "oh my gosh, why didn't I think of that?!"
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    Turn it the other way around after using.

This just changed my life. No more oil spills when stirring maybe? wow! LOL. Seriously, it's little things like this that should be obvious- but I see one and go "oh my gosh, why didn't I think of that?!"
    I know. I love this community!
  • suzukideb
    Options
    Putting it in a bowel makes it way easier to mix then the small jar. I found mixing the oil in the jar is messy and hard.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Putting it in a bowel makes it way easier to mix then the small jar. I found mixing the oil in the jar is messy and hard.

You're thinking of a bowl. Putting it into your bowel would make it very awkward to mix indeed.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Peanuts actually don't grow on trees..... that's why you haven't heard of "peanut tree oil". They are a bushy plant and the peanuts (you've seen them in the shells I'm sure) grow underground.

It won't hurt to mix that oil in, PB isn't 'bad' fat. If it worries you, make your own PB. It's not hard. Buy bulk unsalted peanuts and put them through the food processor until smooth (I usually end up adding about 1tbsp of peanut oil per batch to make it smooth).
    Well, I'm sorry. We never learned about peanuts in school. I thought nuts were from trees. I'm sorry. Why does everybody have to keep bringing this up. I thought the butter was a natural product from the tree. I guess if they have to make it, it's not as "natural" as I thought. No peanut butter is natural then.

Natural peanut butter is just peanuts, ground up. Provided there are no other additives, it is completely natural. Peanuts grow underground, there is a leafy peanut plant that grows out the top. Like a carrot, kinda.

The oil is a by-product from the peanuts being ground up (most nuts, when you start to grind them, release an oil). It gets mixed into the peanut butter during the grinding, but when it sits for awhile, the oil separates.

You should stir the oil in, or you can pour it off the top (though if you don't stir it in, your peanut butter will likely be quite hard to spread so I don't recommend it).