Age is no excuse.

Options
2»

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You are your own worst enemy, when you exercise just to eat badly.
    Great post and all, but there's nothing wrong with doing this. Nobody needs to be perfect for success and people should not be discouraged from working out. If it gets them moving to have a small treat after they EARN it, it doesn't really matter.

Read the last line again, Sis. I am referring to the act of exercising just for an excuse to eat 'badly'. I know that a good workout needs some fuel, but working out...just to eat more calories is pointless...an excuse for going nowhere.
    Working out to eat additional calories is how MFP works. People who are already eating at a deficit can absolutely eat back their exercise calories, as it could potentially put them further into an 'unsafe' deficit.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational and very true - thank you!
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You are an incredible lady, on an incredible journey. I am sure you will reach your goal and you will stand again. You are very determined and you understand what you need to do.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Aye!

42291683972584393_rLnvdY3v.jpg

117093659032987695_rSSr2Uaw_c.jpg

128704501821584085_hYg8Wsuf_c.jpg
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    bada** (bad · a**) n., pl -es 1. Someone who lives life free of any excuses they could make, no matter how legitimate those excuses may appear to be. 2. A person who doesn't say "I can't" even if everyone else is saying it. 3. A person who defines him- or herself by accomplishments, not limitations. 4. A person who realizes that there is always another way, and that almost nothing is impossible.

[from: thebadas**project.com]

Thanks, Disasterman.

I am actually overcoming some of my own excuses for a lack of exercise. Since coming to MFP, I am now working out at home to Sit and Fit DVDs to help with my upper body, especially my fat arms and spare tire.

My doctor and my surgeon have both insisted that I not work out my legs...at this time. I have multiple problems with both of my knees and ankles due to severe, degenerative arthritis in the knees, tendonitis from repeated abuse of my knees and 3 ankle fractures related to several bad falls. They want me sitting...not standing and walking for a while. I think that they are afraid that I will do some permanent damage. With 20 pounds gone, I am already noticing less pain when using my walker. That's kind of what has my doctor worried.

I tend to push myself to do things...that might not always be safe with my knees. So, I had to promise to be good and only work the upper body. Later...with new knees...I will gain some freedom. :happy:
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That is what it all boils down to... excuses.
    I have told myself I don't want to start an exercise at my age, that I can't keep up for a long time. So what happens? Nothing.
    I don't exercise.
    You are right.... we can all have an excuse for not sticking with a commitment.

I also had an ex. One who never "tortured" me or abused or left me for another. He was never there. When he was physically there, he wasn't emotionally or mentally there. For 22 years, I never heard I was pretty. I was never told I looked nice. So for 22 years, I never felt good enough, never felt attractive. After my children was born, my weight slowly crept up and now I need to lose at least 60 pounds. I know it isn't hundreds, but still enough extra weight to keep me surrendered to failure and ugliness.

Your story has hit a "good" nerve with me... thanks for sharing your inner thoughts and motivating US to stop making excuses and JUST DO IT!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I loved your wonderful photos, especially Granny on the weights. You made me laugh. :laugh:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Oh, Sis. More than anyone here, I can relate to you immediately.
    That is what it all boils down to... excuses.
    I have told myself I don't want to start an exercise at my age, that I can't keep up for a long time. So what happens? Nothing.
    I don't exercise.
    You are right.... we can all have an excuse for not sticking with a commitment.

It doesn't have to be at a gym. It doesn't even have to be something sweaty. You can start with something gentle in the beginning. That is what I just learn with my new DVDs. You might want to do some senior citizen exercises in the beginning that teach you how to stretch and work out with less weight.

30 minutes per day for even 3 or 4 days per week is not hard. Then, you will find that you are able to do some of these simple exercises, while watching TV or during a few 'founds moments' in the day.

The trick is to just TRY IT. Exercise is like broccoli. Some folks love it...some don't, and some just need to try it first. Exercise is an acquired taste. :happy:
    I also had an ex. One who never "tortured" me or abused or left me for another. He was never there. When he was physically there, he wasn't emotionally or mentally there. For 22 years, I never heard I was pretty. I was never told I looked nice. So for 22 years, I never felt good enough, never felt attractive.

22 years...yep...a life time without really feeling loved. My ex had no trouble making me feel ugly, worthless and unloveable. Both of those men never realized what they had.

I am blessed to now have the greatest hubbie in the world...the love of my life. He thinks that I am the most beautiful woman on the planet. Remind me to never let him see an optometrist. Glasses could ruin my marriage. :laugh:
    After my children was born, my weight slowly crept up and now I need to lose at least 60 pounds. I know it isn't hundreds, but still enough extra weight to keep me surrendered to failure and ugliness.

Your story has hit a "good" nerve with me... thanks for sharing your inner thoughts and motivating US to stop making excuses and JUST DO IT!!

:flowerforyou:

Sis, I started at 270 with instructions from my surgeon to lose 70 pounds or no surgery. That 70 pounds won't put me at what folks call an 'acceptable weight' for a 5' 4" woman. It is just one of my goals. I have mini goals along the way. They help me to swallow the idea of that BIG NUMBER.

Don't let that big number (60 pounds) scare you. Set a mini goal of 20 or even 10. Remember a weight that you were 5 or 10 years ago and make that a mini goal. Tuesday, I weigh in again. I want to be in the 240's, some place that I haven't been in 15 years. That is a mini goal. 235 will put me to the half way point for new knees. That is a mini goal. See how it works.

Pick a mini goal for yourself today. Aim for that first, and the 60 pounds will follow later. You can do it, Sis. Look at me. 20 pounds since Thanksgiving! I only had to be willing to make a commitment.

If you are a Christian lady, ask God to make you willing. He is with you and will support you in your commitment.

By the way, become my friend on MFP. I think that you and I were meant to be MFP sisters.
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ;)
    I am a Christian lady. I might add, that I too, was sent the love of my life, that adores me and worships the ground I walk on. I still find it hard to believe him, with his loads of compliments, but I am trying!!
    I would LOVE to be your MFP friend!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    ;)
    I am a Christian lady. I might add, that I too, was sent the love of my life, that adores me and worships the ground I walk on. I still find it hard to believe him, with his loads of compliments, but I am trying!!
    I would LOVE to be your MFP friend!

Somehow...I just knew it. We have a whole lot in common. I also find it hard to accept compliments. 22 years of abuse...that's what we both had. It makes you feel unworthy and ugly. Now, we have hubbies that love us, like God loves us. They have that 'agape love' that is more than we could ever imagine... or feel that we deserve. About all that we can do is love 'em back and thank God for His gift of real loving men in our lives.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Hanford, I so love this post.
  • mmfitandhealthy
    Options
    Great job!! I actually have a judo sensei that is 77 years old and is in better shape than I am!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Age is my excuse and so is womanhood. If, before I reach goal, I run into my ex who I know also got fat thanks to FB. I will say "wow, I had a kid, 3 surgeries and am 7 years older than you....what's your excuse?"

That's my fantasy involving my ex.

I have an exhusband of 22 tortured years, who I hated for 30 years. Yep, I hated him even during our marriage. I wasn't until I became a Christian that I realized that 'the weight' of that hatred was a burden on me...not on himself. On the day that I let that anger go, I feel lighter. Now, all I can do is pity him. His life is more miserable that I would have wished on him, and he put it on him.

What will do you the most good is to change you fantasy. Think of him approaching you and saying, "You look great." Then, you say, "Thanks. So do you." Then, you walk away, while he realizes that he lost the best thing that he ever had.

He'd never say that, he'd slink away in shame because he knows he did some terrible things to me, and that my hubby can annihilate him in a hot second and legally come out smelling like a rose.:flowerforyou: Sorry he did unforgivable things and I actually get a little pleasure out of hating him, and I'm not uncomfortable with that at all. Some people in this world deserve wrath and he is one of them. I already did the forgive thing with other people in my life, but this one is in a class by himself.

On a side note I love your profile pic! I was scheming to get a photographer to surprise my hubby in our home to take pic's of us here since he's kind of private and I want him in his uniform which I know he won't put on at any studio or wear in public. Now I'm gonna ask her to make sure one of the pics is a shot of me holding his face against my chest.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Sorry he did unforgivable things and I actually get a little pleasure out of hating him, and I'm not uncomfortable with that at all. Some people in this world deserve wrath and he is one of them. I already did the forgive thing with other people in my life, but this one is in a class by himself.

Unforgiveable? Some folks (including myself at one time) would have said that my ex was unforgivable. I can only imagine what you went through, and I won't list the horrible things that my ex did. Let's just say that several people wanted to kill him. One person even volunteered to kill him for me, because they thought the world would be better off without him. I even thought about killing him myself. I considered a life time in prison worth it...at the time.

Yeah. I know how bad it can be. That why it took me so long to surrender the anger...the wrath. I spent 30 years fantasizing about his death in a fiery car wreck...that was a daily thing. After our divorce, I managed to tell everyone I met how much I hated my exhusband...and I mean everyone...and with all the details of his sins against me and our children. 10 years after our divorce, he was still my favorite topic. He was STILL a part of my life, by my own choice.

When I was finally able to forgive him, I could finally get my life back.
    On a side note I love your profile pic! I was scheming to get a photographer to surprise my hubby in our home to take pic's of us here since he's kind of private and I want him in his uniform which I know he won't put on at any studio or wear in public. Now I'm gonna ask her to make sure one of the pics is a shot of me holding his face against my chest.

We were sitting for a portrait on our honeymoon cruise to Alaska, when Ed turned suddenly and grabbed me, which made me laugh. The photographer caught the impromptu shot, and it became my favorite photo of us both.