Pregger no meat ? ( woman only please)

Options
ok so i dont eat alot of meat and i am finding myself loading up on noodles cause i am still hungry after salad after dalad.. is this bad . its not that i hate meat it just makes me sick what can i do to get the proper protein and vitamins for the baby?? is this typical has any one else ever had this in pregnancy the smell of meat cookin makes u nautious ???

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    How far along are you? I couldn't stand the smell of meat cooking early in my first pregnancy. I got over it after a few months. If meat is a turnoff right now, you could try eating some yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts or peanut butter or beans for protein.
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Eggs are also an amazing source of protein, and you can have it in so many ways (scrambled, hardboiled, omelet...)
  • SarbeeFigg
    SarbeeFigg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Beans are a great source of protein, Hummous and Peanut butter were great for me when I was preggers.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What they all said. When I was pregnant, I had no cravings in that I did not send my husband out at 3:00 am for ice cream and pickles, but a huge mainstay of my diet was beans, cheese, and eggs (sometimes all at once). I walked daily, and stayed away from salt (carrots replaced chips). You want to watch the pre-eclampsia and salt is horrible for your blood pressure. I gained 25 lbs during my pregnancy and lost them and about 20 more through breastfeeding. Then gained it all (and more) back. *Sigh*
  • carey1986
    carey1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also eat your pulses- Chickpeas, lentils, beans ect ect.... you could make up a good well balanced vegetable stew add int he pulses and you will hardly notice them! Can you handle fish? Nice oily fish is something baby will benefit from... and lots of eggs... how about scrambled eggs fried with spinach?
  • LauraKR77
    Options
    Yes I was very similar my little one is nearly 5 months and when I was pregnant with him upto about 5 months I could face meat. If my husband wanted it he had to prepare it etc.... as the smell made me even worse than the taste. I Had a lot of eggs instead. Hope the pregnancy is going well apart from the aversions X
  • asaunders1981
    Options
    Many women are vegetarian and have completely healthy pregnancies and babies. I am pescetarian, so I eat fish but no meat and have 2 kids. Do eat fish? If not, there are still great non-meat protein sources and you and your baby will be just fine. But you cant live on salads and noodles! Baby needs more than that! Iron is very important during pregnancy, as well as your B vitamins. The posters above gave good suggestions so I wont repeat, but you should google vegetarian protein sources; hopefully your taste for meat comes back but if not, youll be fine as long as you supplement.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I was turned off of meat for my first trimester. Your aversion might only be temporary, or it might last a lot longer. Each woman is different.

The good thing is that there are many non meat protein sources. Vegetarian women have healthy pregnancies, so don't feel like you are hurting your baby if you don't chow down on steak.

Try: nuts, cheese, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, eggs, and beans.

You could also pick up a protein powder and make yourself smoothies. Those saved me during the first trimester.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm actually craving meat this time. I want beef like no one's business and I hardly eat red meat. It's hard for me to stomach the smell of most anything right now though. I have been wanting steak and burgers like crazy... yum. Anyway, if you're hungry, eat.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just want to put this out there... The midwives I work with see a much higher incidence of hemorrhage after birth in vegetarian mothers than in omnivorous mothers. Unfortunately there have not been official studies, but numerous midwives that I have spoken with have noticed that trend. Your baby is still being "built" and needs those essential amino acids that are only found in animal protein. If you can't tolerate "real" meat, at least use some chicken or beef stock to cook your rice, or in a bean soup.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've had three or four friends recently who have mentioned not being able to stand meat during the first and third trimesters. Another friend is about to leave her first trimester and is just now back to being able to stomach red meat but still can't handle chicken or fish for some reason.

One thing to remember is that you do get more from meat than just protein but as long as you are getting your RDA or vitamins and minerals you should be ok. Talk with your OB and he/she will let you know if your normal prenatal is enough or if maybe you need to be taking an additional supplement to make up for the other things you are missing out on by not eating meat.
  • 2204givme
    Options
    Many women are vegetarian and have completely healthy pregnancies and babies. I am pescetarian, so I eat fish but no meat and have 2 kids. Do eat fish? If not, there are still great non-meat protein sources and you and your baby will be just fine. But you cant live on salads and noodles! Baby needs more than that! Iron is very important during pregnancy, as well as your B vitamins. The posters above gave good suggestions so I wont repeat, but you should google vegetarian protein sources; hopefully your taste for meat comes back but if not, youll be fine as long as you supplement.

i love fish lol but am cluless about preperation i think ive only had it at resteraunts ( shame shame )
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options

i love fish lol but am cluless about preperation i think ive only had it at resteraunts ( shame shame )

Fish can be SUPER easy to make! Just get some salmon (wild--it has less mercury), top spread on some butter, drizzle with lemon, dash on a few of your favorite spices (I like basil, thyme, and garlic with my fish), and bake for about 20 minutes (for 2-4 servings). Try to flake with a fork; if it flakes, it's ready!

Another one I really like is Greek salmon, drizzled with olive oil, and baked alongside red onion, grape tomatoes, fresh basil, and feta cheese. YUM!
  • jenjencase
    Options
    OP: You might want to try adding quinoa (pronounced 'keen-wah') to your salads, soups, and even as a sub for noodles or rice in other dishes. It's high in protein, has a ton of fiber, and tastes great! Just rinse the dry grains, put in a saucepan with double the water as grains (1 C. quinoa: 2 C. water), bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and COVER, simmer for 15 minutes, turn of the heat and let it sit for five minutes and you're done! You can also use broth instead of water, and I like to add a bit of butter and some salt, but that's up to you. You might try it as an accompaniment to the following very easy fish recipe:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/06/poached-salmon-with-avocado-sauce

This is a great recipe for someone who isn't used to cooking fish, as the boiling water does all the work for you. You could use any sauce you'd like, or just some nice whole grain mustard, but the avocado sauce in the recipe is wonderful. Good luck, and congratulations!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why not supplement with protein powder? Add it to your oatmeal, coffee, greek yogurt, make shakes with frozen fruits and vegetables or the obvious easiest method- just shake it up with milk. Peanuts are a marginal protein source, beans are OK, eggs are great, but protein powder is hands down the easiest way to get your protein where you need it. Don't listen to anyone who tells you it's not "real food" or "lab created"- whey is just dehydrated milk protein and the same exact protein that's in cheese...curds and whey anyone?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I went through months where meat was totally disgusting to me.

You can get protein via beans or a protein supplement like a shake or bar.

Food aversions are really common during pregnancy.

As for fish prep, there's a good list of the fish you should avoid and what is good here: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

You can get some recipes online too if you just google for them. An easy one for our family is tilapia with lemon and butter. You just put the fish in a greased glass pan, top with some lemon juice and melted butter and some black pepper, and bake at 350 for about 15-20 mins. It's really good like this.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had really bad food aversions and morning sickness with my first and all I could keep down was: White bread; NutriGrain (sugared Aussie cereal); icecream and peanut butter. I couldn;t even hold down plain water (soda water was OK, plus full-sugar cola!)

I lost 7kgs in the first trimester and was worried about the baby. OB told me it was me I should worry about - the baby gets all it needs by sucking the mum dry :)

My son was 9pd9 at birth, with apgars 8/10. So I think she was right. (he does have a peanut allergy which I must admit I feel responsible for with all the peanut butter I chugged when pregnant)

In other words, don't worry about not getting enough meat. Eat what you can. Also, if you own What to Expect While You're Expecting, throw it from a moving car. Most condescending, preachy piece of crap I have ever read! And all its dietary advice made me feel terribly guilty.

(Oh, and with my second baby, I craved red wine the entire pregnancy. So I don't trust the whole "listen to your body" thing !)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had two successful pregnancies and was vegetarian throughout. DO make sure you are getting enough protein from whatever sources you can manage. Cheese, Greek yogurt, beans, eggs, nuts and seeds, tempeh, tofu, seitan. . . there are a LOT of options.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian during my entire first pregnancy (and had been for years) and I still got 100 grams of protein a day. I did eat a lot of eggs and dairy and beans. Plus all the protein that added up from other sources.

I only eventually started eating meat again during my second pregnancy because of blood loss (it's a long story) and I already struggle with anemia.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you are early in your pregnancy, this may change.

I'm normally a big chicken eater....I eat TONS of chicken breast. But....for the first 14-16 weeks of all three of my pregnancies, I could NOT stand the look, smell, taste or idea of chicken or most other meats. I also had a big aversion to most cooked/hot foods. I literally lived on PB&J's with a tall glass of milk for months. I'm serious when I say, that's about all I ate. By my third child, I found the beauty of whey protein powder and drank a protein shake at least once a day....add some yummy frozen fruit and you've got great nutrition.

Your aversion to meat may be temporary.