C25K

Options
Hi there... first, yes, get your docs ok before starting any exercise program....

looking to hear about your own experience.... anyone here have any experience/success with being very overweight (I'm down 9 lbs but still have 70-90 to go) not fit, not a runner, and doing the c25k ? Did you modify the plan... ? what worked for you? I'm keen to try but wondering if I should continue walking for now(I currently walk 10,000 steps a day, aprx 5 miles) and wait until I weigh a little less...? Ultimate goal is to 'compete' in duathlons (run/bike/run)... the distances are quite manageable but would love to compete by running rather than walking... would love to hear what you have to say... and how you approached the program.
thank you!

Replies

• ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just started on C25K.
    Week 2 day 1.
    I do all mine on a treadmill.
    At 24 degrees I am not going outside to run.
    I have over 100 pounds to loose and my knees are not the best.
    All that said I am doing it and so far so good.
    If it gets too difficult I will just slow down.
    I think it's a good program and I will stay with it.
    Try it and see how you do, you will probably be surprised.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program over a month ago and I weighed over 200 pounds (if that gives you some point of reference). The first time I did it was HELL it took me over 45 minutes to complete the program because I had to stop and rest. As I have been doing it my stamina has definitely improved as well as my time and overall distance. I run the program simultaneously with endomando, an app the can calculate distance and rate of speed, so that I could track those things. I went from a speed average of a little over 3 miles an hour to almost 4 miles an hour. Because the first week of the program was hard for me I redid the first week twice (the program is separated into weeks and each week you increase the jogging time and decrease the walking time, the first week its 60 sec of each the second is 90 sec jog and 3 min walk, etc.) I think I am going to do that same thing with the second week until I feel comfortable with the 90 seconds of consecutive jogging. Even though I means that it will take me longer to finish the program I dont mind all I care is that I FINISH it and I can jog a complete 5k.

I say definitively try it! If you find that you like jogging/ running then keep with it and I promise it will get easier. :happy:
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 5 last night. I am at the heaviest I've ever been (220) and I was able to complete it. I am so proud of myself. I was scared of running for 20 minutes last night, but once I got to 20, I felt like I could keep on running. It's a great program, and you can def do it at any point. It's designed for people who never ran before.

My only advice to you is to make sure to rest in between days. I tried this program 2 years ago, and got through week 4. I traveled often then, so I would run 3x during the week, and then not run at all during the weekends. I ended up hurting my hip to the point where it hurt to sit and walk, forget about running. The pain lasted for months. This time around, I gave myself enough rest days, and so far so good!
  • RawTriGal
    Options
    I just finished week 5 last night. I am at the heaviest I've ever been (220) and I was able to complete it. I am so proud of myself. I was scared of running for 20 minutes last night, but once I got to 20, I felt like I could keep on running. It's a great program, and you can def do it at any point. It's designed for people who never ran before.

My only advice to you is to make sure to rest in between days. I tried this program 2 years ago, and got through week 4. I traveled often then, so I would run 3x during the week, and then not run at all during the weekends. I ended up hurting my hip to the point where it hurt to sit and walk, forget about running. The pain lasted for months. This time around, I gave myself enough rest days, and so far so good!

Thanks for the insight and congratulations on completing this...! I'm definitely motivated by you and Lee (above) and am going to do this program.
  • sweetgrasswoman
    sweetgrasswoman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started this program after Halloween, took me awhile to get going. Today I can run 30mins without slowing down (less than 3k's). When I do slow down Ill run for a few minutes longer. Remember to drink lots of water, have a water bottle handy!

My first month was HELL! I wanted to throw up after 15 mins so healthy eating habits is a must, and never run if you feel like your going to strain yourself, or if you feel cramps coming on (sometimes I would slow down & walk fast paced). After awhile I would push myself to run extra more mins (3 mins here, 7 mins there). By Christmas I was running 20 minutes easy. After New Years was 27 mins no problem. Now Im proud to see the 30 min mark & cals burned these days :)

Im still tryna run for a longer period of time--- but it will take time & lots of work
  • RawTriGal
    Options
    I started this program after Halloween, took me awhile to get going. Today I can run 30mins without slowing down (less than 3k's). When I do slow down Ill run for a few minutes longer. Remember to drink lots of water, have a water bottle handy!

My first month was HELL! I wanted to throw up after 15 mins so healthy eating habits is a must, and never run if you feel like your going to strain yourself, or if you feel cramps coming on (sometimes I would slow down & walk fast paced). After awhile I would push myself to run extra more mins (3 mins here, 7 mins there). By Christmas I was running 20 minutes easy. After New Years was 27 mins no problem. Now Im proud to see the 30 min mark & cals burned these days :)

Im still tryna run for a longer period of time--- but it will take time & lots of work

well done, you! thanks so much for sharing your journey!
  • Tymeshia
    Tymeshia Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 192 lbs. I'm doing the C25k and tomorrow I will complete week 4. I started off walking 3. something and now I brisk walk at 4.2 and jog between 5.6 to 6.0, I up my speed each time it makes me jog. When I started I was walking a mile in 17 or 18 minutes, now I'm completing 2 miles in 24 minutes.
  • RawTriGal
    Options
    Thanks for the input... I'm definitely going to start the program and am very excited about it.

:glasses: A question for those of you doing or having done the c25k program... what method(s) do you use to help you keep track of the time and when it's ready to move from walking to running, etc? I've never really worked out in a way that requires me to change what I'm doing every 90 sec + ... so your input/advice thoughts on what's worked for you greatly appreciated!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I didn't do it for long... maybe the first level three times.. so never finished it but always think about starting it again.
  • PinevilleGirl
    PinevilleGirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is my 4th round with C25K, I do it every time I stop running for a while as it helps to get me back into it. I'm not a runner but I like to do a 5K every year and this helps with that. I'm at 200 and I have found through past experiences, if you don't feel good about completing a week and moving forward then just do that week again and again until you feel ready, that way you aren't pushing too hard too fast. I'm pushing for a 10K in April so I'm back at it again, I hope to continue this go around and not stop once the race is done, that's what I have found myself doing in the past. So I have planned other races all through the year to keep me in training mode and help me stick with it and have goals to reach. I think it's a great stress reliever.

There are several apps if you have a smart phone that will track your progress and tell you when to change from one to the other. You can download the podcast and just listen threw and mp3 player also.

I myself use Runstar lite to track it and I have the C25K podcast downloaded to my music so I choose that to listen too.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am a complete non runner and started it last summer. I was amazed at how quickly my stamina improved and I actually became really excited that i would end up being able to just 'go for a run' like millions of others. However, my knees started really playing up (I weigh around 175) and so sadly I stopped doing it....:(

I would be interested to know if others had this problem and ran through it...?

It's a great programme though so would highly recommend it x
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in November and then quit at Week 3 because I was intimidated by it. Last August I couldn't even walk down the driveway to the mailbox without being out of breath. I kept walking and running some on my own, but wasn't improving so I went back to it at the beginning of this month. I started again on Week 3 and just completed Week 6, Day 1 this morning. Two 10 minutes runs. I have never been a runner. I never played sports in high school or anything. I never imagined I would make it this far and now I think I might be able to complete it.

I am a 37 yo female and still have 90 pounds to lose. I run on a shock absorbing treadmill and wear good shoes. I have run outside a couple of times and notices my knees hurt a little when running on the road so keep that in mind. I am hoping that will get better as I lose more weight. Do good stretches for shin splints and hamstrings and make sure you use your rest days. I just walk on the off days, no running.

The hardest part for me is getting out of my head and believing I can actually do this. I keep sabatoging myself into trying to stop or re-do a week because I am intimidated by the next day. But so far I will just keep going until I can't complete a day and then I will do that day until I can do it and move on.

It's a great program. There is also a C25K discussion group on here as well, so check that out. Good for it and good luck.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    got this off the C25K program that i found online
    "C25K which is perfect for use on a treadmill. I am often asked how fast you should run and walk on the treadmill. The answer is that you should run as slowly as possible. In fact, if you can run more slowly, you are probably running too fast. Speed will come over time (after you have finished the program). With the walking, just walk at a nice brisk pace."
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've done it. It's a great program. Stick to the schedule (meaning you really only need to do it 3X/week, do your regular walking workout on other days), repeat days when you need to (if you feel you weren't quite ready when you did a given day for example), and just do your best. It's a great program. Get outside when you can. That's where I found I was most successful and where I fell in love with running.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I started c25k back in October I believe. I weighed around 230 when I started. I got to week 7 before the holidays hit (I quit between Thanksgiving and Christmas). I did the program as it was, no modifications. I didnt repeat weeks but I know for some that helps. I will say that I can run a full 5k with no problems and can probably put in a full 5 miles without any issue right now. I started running again a couple weeks ago but not with a program. You can do it! If you find you have feet, hip, or knee issues I do recommend getting fitted for proper running shoes. Replacing my shoes was the difference between quiting and success!! (btw, I have 2 5k's coming up in the next couple months and a 7 mile mud run in March).
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I started C25k already at my goal weight. Still, I was a complete non-runner. I'd spent 42 years saying the only reason to run is if you're being chased by zombies. That being said ... I started the program Labor Day weekend 2012 and finished hte last weekend of December 2012. I took a week off here and there for illness, Disney vacation, etc. Thinking back, I remember those 60 second jogs during week 1 being the new definition of my own personal hell. I would count backwards from 60 to keep the end in sight. But each week, as the jog times got longer, they also got a little easier. Now, I enjoy running. I have moved onto the 5k to 10k program.

For both C25k and now 5k to 10k I use the active.com mobile app. There are audio prompts for each interval. The "trainer" I use is an encouraging cheerleader type. "keep going", "you've got this" etc. My preference is to run outside. Now that it is winter in New England, it isn't always possible. AS long as the sidewalks are clear enough to be safe, I will run outside down to about 30F. I tried once in the 20'sand that was just a little too cold.

You can do this. Just listen to your body. There is nothing wrong with adding in an extra walk break to catch your breath. I never repeated a week just because the next week looked hard. It is supposed to get harder, but you are also getting stronger. My best advice if it seems too hard is to slow down. Speed will come with time. You need to build your endurance first.

Once I hit week six and longer runs, I started using my iPod. I made a running mix with upbeat songs I loved and knew all the words to. It helps to keep me out of my head.

Good luck!!
  • aulisse
    aulisse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2, Day 1. I haven't been able to run outside because the weather has sucked. It's definitely easier on the treadmill. I use the App RunDouble, it's free and easy to use. Good luck!!!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Hi there. Congrats for starting C25K!

I started the program at 200 pounds. I was fitted professionally at a running store and they put me in a shoe that fit my gait and body frame. At first, I started the first week on the treadmill but quickly switched to running outside. Yes, I was intimated by people seeing a 200+lb woman run/walking for 30 minutes. But the fact is, I am lapping everyone sitting on the couch eating bon bons! So who gives a rats @ss what they think! Plus, races are ran outside (not on the treadmill!) And when you run outside and beat all of the elements, you will be ready on race day for ANY kind of weather!

I fell off program at week 6 because I did a 5K before I graduated the actual program. I eventually just ran until I needed to take a walk break and repeated that until I could run for 30 minutes without stopping. Eventually 30 minutes turned into 3 miles... 3 miles turned into 4.... 4 turned into 5 (so on a so forth).

C25K makes an app that takes you through the program for the 9 weeks. Once you've graduated, you can switch to another app like Nike+ (my favorite!)

I'd advise you run outside also! I see some people saying it's cold out. They make some awesome cold running gear guys! :wink:

Feel free to add if you want a running friend!