525 Days With MFP...Have Lost All Motivation

Options
I reached my adjusted goal back in July 2012...only because no matter what I did, my body wasn't budging (5'6" 141 lbs, 30 years old). I was not losing anymore weight. I accepted it, and simply continued counting calories and exercising (jogging/running about 3 to 4 times a week plus circuit training 3 times per week).

After hurricane sandy, my weight shot up. I thought it was because we had no power for over a week and couldn't really exercise. We were also eating a ton of carbs since all of our meat, fruit, and veggies went bad (and no, we couldn't buy any because no one else had power either).

However, once I got back into my routine....the weight didn't go away.

Since then, winter has come full blast and my usual work-out routine is out the window (I can run in 30 degrees, but not with the cold we have had lately). I have been trying to do exercise videos at home, but it's not helping. The weight is not coming off.

I'm kind of at a loss for words. I worked so hard to lose 20 lbs....it took me 8 months...and in a matter of a few weeks, I gained 10...and look and feel horrible.

I feel so discourage, depressed, and just sick of all this.

Replies

• mad417
    mad417 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hear the discouragement in your voice...I've been there. I am sick of it too! Up and down 30 pounds for the last 25 years. Don't beat yourself up. Take a look at the book The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. I am convinced she has discovered many answers to the problems of dieters and weight loss. You can read about her online. Her clinic is called Recovery Systems.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Let me share my story, hopefully it will help. I lost 171 lbs over 3 years and was within pounds of my goal weight when menopause, vitamin D deficiancy and depression set in. I gained 80 lbs back over the past 2 years. I couldn't take it anymore, my beautiful cute close staring at me in the closet every day. This year, I've been busting *kitten* to pull it together and joined MFP last week. I don't weigh until tomorrow but I feel so much better and I am back in control of what I put in my mouth.

The take away for me was to remember all that I once knew to be true about my weight loss, exercise, eat high protein, fruits and veg are a must at every meal are keys to my success. When I lost my first 100 lbs it was by loosing 5 lbs one week, gaining 2 the next, it was because of that process that I focused on what I was eating and doing not what I was weighing. The net affect is the same, the journey was just unconventional. Remember too as you build muscle, you gain weight initially but as you build more you burn more fat, so in the end you look and feel better.

I am sure you will pull it together and we are all here to support you!
  • invincible_summer
    Options
    Just think that if you hadn't lost that weight you'd have put on even more during Sandy. At least you have less to lose now.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have found the problem: you aren't eating enough.

Figure out your TDEE and subtract 15% from that, and eat that number of calories.

I have a friend here two was stuck in a plateau for a whole year. She upped her calories and immediately began losing again.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    im sorry to hear that. i live in MD and the weather here has been crazy. i have stopped losing weight as well :ohwell: and kinda feel like a disinflating baloon when it comes to my motivation. only thing that keeps me going is "well, if u give up...u will ONLY go UP" and we have worked sooooo hard. Dont give up. take it one day at a time. i hopw things get better for you.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    If you did decide to just give up, how are you going to feel about yourself in a month, or this summer? Besides weight, what would you gain in your life?

Perhaps you need to give it a mental break for a week or two and just eat at maintenance. I believe it's possible that stress and depression leads to stalled or even reversed weight loss. There is a hormone called cortisol that is elevated when we are stressed.
    I read this on fitness blog:
    "Cortisol, as you know, is one of the stress, fight-or-flight hormones. It kept us alive and our wits about us under short-term life-or-death situations for much of our evolution. Unfortunately, when cortisol is constantly elevated – as it often is in the sleep-deprived and chronically-stressed – testosterone is muted. Cortisol is catabolic (breaks tissue down), while testosterone is anabolic. Excessive levels of cortisol produce insulin resistance, fat gain, and muscle wasting, while testosterone promotes muscular hypertrophy and lean mass gains. Cortisol contributes to metabolic syndrome, while testosterone helps alleviate it."

Try to get some vitamin D-3, try to get some sunshine, try to make your next goal relaxation, inner strength and confidence. Hang in there! You are not alone in the winter doldrums.:flowerforyou:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I have found the problem: you aren't eating enough.

Figure out your TDEE and subtract 15% from that, and eat that number of calories.

I have a friend here two was stuck in a plateau for a whole year. She upped her calories and immediately began losing again.

QFT

listen to her please.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating at the low 1200 calorie level have you ever calculated your TDEE and just eaten at a 10-20% deficit? It worked for me after I began to gain eating at MFP's maintenance suggestion.

Our bodies really do learn to adapt at low calorie levels, just like in famine times, and it throws off the metabolism at that point.

In your profile you describe that you do alot of sitting, but I'd still bet you are eating below your BMR (basic coma survival calories) and your body has adapted.

Try figuring out your TDEE which will include your BMR and activity calories, then take off a small percentage and see if that gets you back on track. It may take some time, so be patient. You don't want to mess up your future being a yo-yo dieter like so may women (including myself) have done.

Good Luck!
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement.

Just a few notes for those who have commented on my food intake:

-- I have Crohn's disease and therefore have learned that I have to limit my intake of vegetables and dairy.

-- My calorie intake is so low because I basically don't move all day. I work from home, so I get out of bed, move to my living room...and work. That's it. I try to get up every hour and do at least 3 minutes of jumping jacks or running in place to keep my blood flowing, but I really don't burn anything at all during the day.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the people that are saying you aren't eating enough, your calorie intake looks reasonable.

Your problem appears to be consistency. The first thing you need to do is get back on track with your workout routine. You have to find something you can stick to.

Once you do that, keep your calories consistent. If you're not losing anything, cut back on the calories some and/or add a little more activity.

*Edit: I think the confusion here is that people are looking at only today. If you go back a few days, you'll see she's eat 1500-1600.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement.

Just a few notes for those who have commented on my food intake:

-- I have Crohn's disease and therefore have learned that I have to limit my intake of vegetables and dairy.

-- My calorie intake is so low because I basically don't move all day. I work from home, so I get out of bed, move to my living room...and work. That's it. I try to get up every hour and do at least 3 minutes of jumping jacks or running in place to keep my blood flowing, but I really don't burn anything at all during the day.

Even if you were literally lying in bed all day long, your body would require more than 1200 calories to function efficiently.

Figure out your TDEE and BMR with this calculator, setting your activity level at sedentary:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

BMR is literally the number of calories you would use in a coma. TDEE is that amount plus the amount that you burn making your bed and talking on the phone, so the number of calories you use in your regular life. Even if that isn't very much, it will be more than your BMR.

Now subtract 15% from your TDEE and eat that amount to lose weight. Give it a month and then come back.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't just about exercise, it's about your food too - actually, it's more about your food choices.

Why is your goal so low? Start there. Your goal isn't even your BMR - DO NOT EAT BELOW YOUR BMR. (Calculate your numbers here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/)

I was stuck for 9 months and finally found the combination of food and exercise that got my scale moving again, but it was more about the calories and types of foods I was eating then anything.

Check out these as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You can find that motivation again - reach out to your support here and don't give up!
  • jennsteinke06
    jennsteinke06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hang in there girl! Check out http://www.bodyrock.tv/ They have some awesome at home workouts. There is also a diet called the 17 day diet which I loved because it has three 17 day cycles. It helped me because I got to change my diet every two weeks. I get bored way to quickly so it was nice to have some wiggle room.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You rock SOCKS!! First you get through a nasty natural disaster like Sandy, where basic services and life in general is TOTALLY out the window, and then you gain ten pounds through just trying to get by.. Life honest to god isn't fair sometimes.

She's a cruel mistress, that one.

But you don't have to accept it, you DON'T have to come to understand that you are made to be a weight that you aren't comfortable with. You CAN do this, you just need to re-juice. Having a look through your food diary and there are several things you can do right now to help kick those last 15 pounds out the door FOREVER.

First, you need to realize that there is a metabolic cost associated with eating different foods. When we eat, there is a correlated energy expenditure by our bodies to assimilate the micro and macro nutrients in that food. Protein costs our bodies a LOT of energy to break down the long chain amino acids into smaller aminos that can travel throughout our bodies and pass through our cell walls.

Fats, on the other hand, have a very LOW metabolic cost associated with absorbing and assimilating them. Fats are essentially fatty acids attached to a glycerol molecule. They have to undergo very little change for our bodies to use them in hormone production, fat storage, and glycogen synthesis in our liver.

Carbs also have a low cost associated with them, but not as low as fat. And carbs that are eaten with fiber and vegetables take even more work to break down.

There are several ways that you can cut down on your fat intake, you don't have to say no to cheese ALL the time, but reduce the frequency of it's intake. Same with mayonaise. I'd even go out on a limb to say that simple sugars are more preferable to eating than fats, simply because it takes more energy to turn consumed sugars into fats.

There is also quite a bit of restaurant eating in your food diary. While it's not wrong, or even bad to eat out, You should be aware that there is no governing body who regulates and checks the calorie counts on a given restaurant's nutrition information. More often than not, they are caught serving food that is up to TWICE as high in calories as the menu listed. An extra dollop of sauce, an extra 30 seconds in a frier, or a slightly larger portion than what was used to calculate that meal's calorie content than what was tested in the lab means that you really should overestimate the caloric content of a restaurant meal by about 20%

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2012/08/wrong-calorie-counts.html

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/1497-calorie-counts-menus-accurate-inaccurate-restaurant-calorie-counts.html

http://news.yahoo.com/restaurants-calorie-counts-wrong-research-finds-204604334.html

So, in short, if you aren't seeing your body fat % dropping like you want, then you should add more protein to your diet, lower the amount of fat you consume whenever you can, and count restaurant calories as skeptically as possible.

The key to the body you want IS 85% diet and 15% exercise. You CAN do this, it just requires a little bit more vigilance.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options

I pretty much do the same as you, BUT to burn a bit more while "computering" I've moved my lap top to the kitchen counter...so now I work standing up. Better for my back and better for just overall moving around. It helps me boost my metabolism just living.....

Yeah, it wasn't as comfy as the couch and it took a few days to get used to it, but now I find it is easy.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't just about exercise, it's about your food too - actually, it's more about your food choices.

Why is your goal so low? Start there. Your goal isn't even your BMR - DO NOT EAT BELOW YOUR BMR. (Calculate your numbers here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/)

I was stuck for 9 months and finally found the combination of food and exercise that got my scale moving again, but it was more about the calories and types of foods I was eating then anything.

Check out these as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You can find that motivation again - reach out to your support here and don't give up!

Telling someone who is not losing weight at an average of 1500 calories to eat MORE is like telling a heroin addict that can't stop to take another hit. If you can eat more than her and lose, fine, but don't advise her to do as you do.

She should leave her calorie values ALONE, and change the composition of her diet to be MORE in favor of protein, and more biased against FATS.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im 33 and I live in Brooklyn. If you want a friend, that can like - i dunno, talk to you about this stuff and work out together or do an obstacle race or something.

Im cool too :( Im not like - an old lady 33 - im more like - um.... Peter Pan. at a rock concert.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ps - i also hit that same wall... AND CRUSHED IT!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    ps - i also hit that same wall... AND CRUSHED IT!

She's not kidding. I watched her do it.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Check out these as well:

Telling someone who is not losing weight at an average of 1500 calories to eat MORE is like telling a heroin addict that can't stop to take another hit. If you can eat more than her and lose, fine, but don't advise her to do as you do.

She should leave her calorie values ALONE, and change the composition of her diet to be MORE in favor of protein, and more biased against FATS.

Ohrlly?