Mexican Food

Options
So for lunch today I'm going to eat Mexican...what are some smart choices to eat?

Replies

• skinnyjess00
    skinnyjess00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    fajitas without the tortillas! :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burrito is my favorite. Smart choices really depends on where you go. Mexican food can be made to be low calorie just most resteraunts don't bother. Stay away from Deep fried.

Taco salad with chicken can be low calories but the guacamole can kill you on calories so put it on the side or avoid it. It is healthy fats though.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    There are some great suggestions here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/87991-mexcian-food

Bon appetit! :bigsmile:
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Google the restautrant and look for nutrional info on theri website. You can also check MFP database prior to going so you have options, and do not have to guess the menu. FWIW - stay away from the chips, guacamole and tortillas!
  • ChavezCurse
    ChavezCurse Posts: 29
    Options
    Mexican rice is fried and the refried beans usually have chorizo or fried in lard and are served as a side with your entree. Ask for corn tortillas instead of flour.

Coctel de Camaron (shrimp cocktail)
    Shrimp or fish ceviche
    Camarones en aguachile
    Grilled fish any style
    Siete Mares (seafood stew)
    Griled chicken or steak with pico de gallo, cactus salad, and salsa
    Chicken soup
  • toribug
    toribug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I get mexican, I order a side of lettuce, and 1 chicken taco. I dump the taco and make a salad, and toss the shell. Its much cheaper than ordering the reg chicken salad.
  • bxdarby
    bxdarby Posts: 17
    Options
    The other day I had Mexican and I was concerned about what to order because honestly, it's not the healthiest food. I ended up ordering a Spinach and Asparagus Enchilada. It had no cheese in it, just fresh veggies, a little cheese on top, light on the red sauce and very easy cheese. If you have a problem finding something, just ask the server if they can put in a special order for you, after all, you are the paying customer. Have fun!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Skip the rice and ask for black beans instead of refried. If you can look at the places web site before you go if they have one.