Healthy Cookies - I am about to give up!!!

Options
meshamoo
meshamoo Posts: 200 Member
I am creating my first post in the recipes section. I have really enjoyed my health and fitness journey. I have used many recipes posted here to enjoy food and continue to reach my goals. But the area I haven't found a healthy supplement for is cookies. I have tried numerous healthy cookie recipes, the batter tastes wonderful but when I bake them they are horrible. I am at the point where I am thinking there are NO Healthy alternatives to cookies. I just want a good recipe for my husband who loves Oatmeal Raisin, my favorites are chocolate chip and peanut butter. This is my last ditch effort to see if I can find a simple recipe that will work. So if you guys have something YOU HAVE TRIED and no its good than please share. I don't want to just assume that there is no such thing as a healthier cookie with flavor and great taste.

Replies

• suzukideb
    Options
    I'm trying the oatmeal banana ones that was just posted. I just took them out of the oven. Look wonderful. I did cook for 20 minutes on a stone.
  • Sarajo71
    Sarajo71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm trying the oatmeal banana ones that was just posted. I just took them out of the oven. Look wonderful. I did cook for 20 minutes on a stone.
    Yes I tried these tonight also, smell and look great, will try in the morning :-)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is necessarily a 'healthy' cookie variety out there, just lower calories?

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Cookies
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would try something in the way of macaroon. But that's just me. =) Oh I loooove coconut!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    No bake chocolate oatmeal cookies are decent... but really if you want it healthier you almost have to play with recipes yourself to see what you like and what works to keep the calories and fat down.

Looney Spoons and Eat, Shrink and Be Merry might be good resources. The ladies who made these cook books are committed to finding healthy alternatives to many recipes.
  • Itzli
    Itzli Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I saw this site and thought I'd share. I can't vouch for the cookies, but there's plenty of recipes to try out at least.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/healthy-cookies-00412000073008/

This one looks GOOD!

Toasted Almond Coconut Meringues

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/toasted-almond-coconut-meringues-recipe-5952

Nutritional Information
    (per serving)

Calories 14
    Total Fat 1g
    Saturated Fat 0
    Cholesterol 0
    Sodium 2mg
    Total Carbohydrate 2g
    Dietary Fiber --
    Sugars --
    Protein 0
    Calcium 0
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think what makes cookies so awesome is the naughtiness factor. My opinion- don't substitute. Just make room in your diary for one righteous cookie. Ultimately I use less calories just satisfying my cravings with a portion-controlled amount of what I actually want than messing around with a bunch of mediocre, unsatisfying pretend cookies.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Maybe this site will help you. I agree that there is really not much you can do but make them a bit low cal. Personally I think a home made 'full on' cookie is much more healthy than some other things that get eaten in the name of good health. They use simple, natural ingredients for the most part. One just has to limit how many are eaten to stay within their calorie goal.

http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101_basics_techniques/kitchen_tips_techniques/5_secrets_for_baking_healthier_cookies
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I made a batch of banana oatmeal cookies last week, incorporated them into MFP and was able to take off three pounds. They are like little lovely banana breads. Keeper.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me to fit some double stuf oreos in my diet today.
  • meshamoo
    meshamoo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone and MoreBean your response was priceless. I think I am going to try the Chocolate Chip Sundae with the White Beans. I will also check out the other sites, sorry I am not down with the Macaroon.
  • bglisson
    bglisson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found a healthy recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Cookes in a Paleo Cookbook, and I think they are excellent -- considering there's no oatmeal in them. Maybe your husband would like these:

Paleo N'Oatmeal Cookes - makes 36 cookes

2 cups Almond Flour
    1/2 c. flax seed meal
    1/2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
    1/2 c. raw sunflower seeds
    1/2 c. raw pumpkin seeds
    2 large eggs
    1/2 c. maple syrup
    1/2 c. coconut oil
    1 c. raisins
    1 T. cinnamon
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients and bake tablespoonfuls (I use a cookie scoop) on parchment paper at 350 degrees until lightly brown on bottom and cookies are set.

Per Serving: 129 Cal; 9g Carb; 11 Fat; 3g Prot; 2g. Fiber; 6g. Sugar

They are not overly sweet; they are gluten free and low carb and have a texture very much like an oatmeal raisin cookie. I found myself eating too many at one time, so I'm going to save them for a special treat or maybe I'll freeze them next time to limit my portions.
  • debbymccready
    debbymccready Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I made the banana/oatmeal ones today, I added 2 T mini chips, absolutely delish, satisfied sweet craving and was filling! 39 calories per cookie. the batch made 20 cookies.