Running a half marathon

Options
My friend plans to run a half-marathon in 3 weeks. What is the best way to train?

Replies

• reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Depends if they're currently a runner or not. If not, then I'd say walk it, if they still want to do the half. If a runner, depends on the level. Did they just start running or are the seasoned? It takes a lot of training to run a half. Generally, the last week is a taper week, so all you're left with is 2 weeks to train. Not enough time in my opinion unless they're looking to walk it. Would need more info about this person to offer a more definitive opinion.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    start about 9 weeks ago
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just like Reggie said, all depends on current level of running and what the goals are. There is no single best way for everyone.
  • shosh413
    shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    she can run about a mile then walk it.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The training takes 12 weeks to go through. How long has your friend been running? Here is a link to a good training plan.http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    she can run about a mile then walk it.

She needs to find a different one to do. unless you think she can run walk it. That is still pushing it too soon.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I started runnin in Early October 2012. Last week I did 13.65 miles in three hours and nine minutes and was pretty thrilled with myself. I can't imagine what would have happened if I tried to do that three weeks in.
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Is she already an avid runner? Typically a half marathon training for beginners is 12 weeks. She can use the hh training plan. I just found and awesome one for 8 weeks at fitness. Good luck to her! I have my first in June!
  • shosh413
    shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!