Sweaty workouts!

Options
When I work out I usually wear a long-sleeved shirt with a sweatshirt on top of it so that I sweat more. But, I always see other women just wearing a tank tops. I know I'm just losing water weight and I will gain it back as soon as I drink water. Are there any benefits from sweating more or will I burn the same amount of calories in a tank top without killing myself?

Replies

• CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Well I don't personally know the answer to that one. But I'd say if you're interested in losing and gaining water weight then yes keep at it. Lol!! I wear a tank top or tee shirt when I work out and sweat plenty...more than enough actually. Today in Georgia, it's only 87 degrees so no way would I be out there in long sleeves and sweats...I might have a stroke! I'd say wear something comfortable forget about sweating more. :flowerforyou:
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    When I work out I usually wear a long-sleeved shirt with a sweatshirt on top of it so that I sweat more. But, I always see other women just wearing a tank tops. I know I'm just losing water weight and I will gain it back as soon as I drink water. Are there any benefits from sweating more or will I burn the same amount of calories in a tank top without killing myself?

Wow, I would DIE with that much on while I work out!! I sweat a lot naturally (ugh), but I would think it wouldn't be beneficial in the long run.
  • Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    That is such a good question...I can't wait to see the responses!!!!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Good question. I do Bikram yoga and I sweat like crazy because we are in a room that is 105 degrees! While I don't know the benefits of sweating with regard to burning calories, however, it does help with getting toxins out of your body. I too lose weight when I sweat so much. I weigh a pound less after class then I did immediately before class, but as you said, it is water weight and comes back once I rehydrate.
    Risa
  • sdraughan
    sdraughan Posts: 6
    Options
    Sounds nuts but I like to sweat a lot during workouts too so I usually dress warmer. Must be something left over from my childhood about "sweat it out, it will be good for you." Sadly, I feel like the more I sweat, the more purification I go through. I enjoy the tingling feeling on my skin when I finish a run.
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Those of you who also sweat a lot while exercising make me feel so much better. I do too, I'll soak a shirt and my cap. I'm just glad it isn't like smelly guy sweat though. I've had a close girlfriend check just to be sure!!! LOL It does feel good to cleanse the pores too.
  • Prov_31mom
    Prov_31mom Posts: 5
    Options
    I sweat more than enough in shorts and a T...MORE than enough. I have been "blessed" with an extra sweaty gene, unfortunately...I sweat when I'm sitting in a cold room, with a t-shirt on, :-/
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    This is the way I remember it from wrestling back in high school. We would try to make weight of course by sweating the water weight out. This was only temporary weight loss. Sweating is just to help your body cool off. Burning cals. is what helps you loose fat and is not as temporary as sweating which will sponge back into your body as soon as you drink up water.
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am sweaty no matter what.... one day I was on the treadmill with a sweatshirt on and thought I was gonna die. When I got off, I was really overheated and didn't feel well at all for the rest of the night. Don't overheat your body! Get one of those rubber type material bands to wear around your waist. I use mine occasionally, it seems to help get rid of the bloating.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    If sweating it off works, then I wouldn't have to work out at all. I sweat just LOOKING at the inside of the gym.

I doubt it does more than tire you out faster but if you like it like that, then do it.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    One more thing. The benefit from "Hot Yoga" is not the sweating (once again that is only water weight). The benefit for doing it "Hot" is for the ability of your body to stretch better in the heat and hold that stretch, thus the burning more calories.