Question about sugar intake

Options
According to my diary I had 115 grams of sugar today. This was mostly natural in my fruits, nothing I added. Some was in the instant oatmeal and low fat milk. My question is how much should the average woman's sugar intake be daily? I read somewhere 40 grams but was wondering if that just applies to added sugar. It doesn't seam feasible to have 40 grams of sugar a day when you eat large portions of fruit. Any input would be appreciated!

Replies

• careycm616
    Options
    I have that problem too. My "goal" is 24 grams, but one cup of cantaloupe has 14 g of sugar, and a whole apple has 16. Really can't stay below 24g if I'm eating fruit and some dairy like you said. I don't add sugar, processed or raw.

I also had a similar version of this question about fat. I'm trying to do 40/40/20 and all my fat comes from good fats like walnuts, avocado, peanut butter and olive oil dressings. If it's healthy fat, is it ok to go over?
  • jgear13
    jgear13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this as well! I just started sessions with a trainer and she wants me at 29g of sugar per day, so far in the last week I have been at nearly double that every day. I have been eating very clean so this is primarily all from fruit. This morning I had an apple thinking I was being healthy only to find out it had 17g of sugar!!! AHHH.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I typically stay below 10g of sugar a day but limit carbs. Fat is fine to go over on. Fat and protein are really minimums. You should eat at least 1g protein/kg of body weight and at least .35g fat/lb of body weight. Carbs are flexible because it's not necceaafy to eat them. Sugar isn't a big deal if you don't have a need or reason to limit them. I limit them because sugar (even from fruit) causes me to have sugar/carb cravings. When I don't eat it I stop craving it.

You might want to stop using oatmeal packets because they typically have a good amount of added sugar. It's better (and cheaper) to just buy a container of plain quick oats and add fruit, splenda, cinnamon, or whatever else you like to it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Also, grapefruits and berries are lower in sugar than most fruits.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sugars from fruits are appropriate and desirable. "Sugars" is a metric called for on the standard ingredient disclosure on all packaged food items for sale in the U.S.

Because of this, MFP replicates this disclosure in its tracking mechanism. Its easy to track published nutrition information.

Don't get wrapped up in the sugar issue if the source is whole fruit.