personal trainer screw up!?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    There is research showing that diets that start out with a large deficit to "jump start" the overall plan have lower rates of "recidivism" than if you start out without that little boost.
    Is this sarcasim lol

Not at all, there's a link to the research on Lyle's forum somewhere but I can't recall the link.

Think about it, losing 10lbs the first week and a half is going to give you a lot of motivation to continue, at which point you can transition to a more moderate diet.

But I really wouldn't say 1100 is extreme for you anyway. Just because it's below 1200 doesn't mean it's automatically terrible. I find it silly that people on here will say oh 1200 or less is so bad without taking into consideration anything about the individual, we are all different.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    There is research showing that diets that start out with a large deficit to "jump start" the overall plan have lower rates of "recidivism" than if you start out without that little boost.
    Is this sarcasim lol

Not at all, there's a link to the research on Lyle's forum somewhere but I can't recall the link.

Think about it, losing 10lbs the first week and a half is going to give you a lot of motivation to continue, at which point you can transition to a more moderate diet.

But I really wouldn't say 1100 is extreme for you anyway. Just because it's below 1200 doesn't mean it's automatically terrible. I find it silly that people on here will say oh 1200 or less is so bad without taking into consideration anything about the individual, we are all different.

No I agree the mental aspect of it would really work but to me I tried the 1200 cals a day before and it was hard. I think I'm over thinking this too much. I just need to use my knowledge of healthy and just listen to my body and really listen to it and not my cravings lol all while logging.
  • jgear13
    jgear13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also just started with a trainer and was put on a strict diet of 1000-1200 calories a day. I am 5'6" 170 and 37% BF. She says my BMR is about 939. I am supposed to start my day with a 350 calorie breakfast and make my meals 100cals smaller as the day goes on. Also eat 3 snacks. She gave me other restrictions as well such as no processed food, no carbs or fruit after lunch, and to watch my sodium, carbs, and keep my sugar under 29g a day. I fill up a lot on veggies. I feel like 1200 calories is very doable for me, I more so struggle with keeping the carbs and sugar down. I also think of it as this diet is short term to reach a specific goal (for me 30lbs in 3mos). Once I reach my goal, I plan to ease up a little on the strictness of my diet plan.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    I would ask your trainer, WHY? Why such a restrictive diet? What calculations did you use? Can you show me in scientific form how this is safe, helpful, logical.... Post him up a little bit and challenge him on it, especially if you're paying money for his services. If his answers don't seem reasonable based on what you've learned from mfp, may be a good idea to interview a new trainer. :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

10 lbs in a week? What is this, I don't even...
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    I also just started with a trainer and was put on a strict diet of 1000-1200 calories a day. I am 5'6" 170 and 37% BF. She says my BMR is about 939. I am supposed to start my day with a 350 calorie breakfast and make my meals 100cals smaller as the day goes on. Also eat 3 snacks. She gave me other restrictions as well such as no processed food, no carbs or fruit after lunch, and to watch my sodium, carbs, and keep my sugar under 29g a day. I fill up a lot on veggies. I feel like 1200 calories is very doable for me, I more so struggle with keeping the carbs and sugar down. I also think of it as this diet is short term to reach a specific goal (for me 30lbs in 3mos). Once I reach my goal, I plan to ease up a little on the strictness of my diet plan.

I highly doubt with your height and weight that your bmr is less than 1000. I would also recommend, for your own sake, to reevaluate what this trainer is telling you. At such a deficit, your likely to gain back any weight you loose, plus some, once you ease off this "diet" the trainer has put you on.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    It really seems like these trainers are trying to "wow" you with amazing, immediate results to get you to return for more sessions. Which to them is $$$$$. I'd think about that for a moment.....
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options

10 lbs in a week? What is this, I don't even...

Glycogen depletion will drop a pound a day off of a female. I've done it twice. I usually lose 2lbs/day though since I'm a decent sized male.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I highly doubt with your height and weight that your bmr is less than 1000. I would also recommend, for your own sake, to reevaluate what this trainer is telling you. At such a deficit, your likely to gain back any weight you loose, plus some, once you ease off this "diet" the trainer has put you on.

Agreed. At 5'6" and 170 lbs your BMR should be around 1500 or more. I'm 5'6 and 120lbs and my BMR is more than that!

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • jgear13
    jgear13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    At this point on the trainer's diet plan I have only lost 2 lbs in 1 week which I believe is a safe amount. I certainly don't plan to drop my calories lower than 1200 though even if the trainer says to.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

We are the same height, I am 163 and my BF% is about 30. My BMR is just over 1500, and my PT thinks eating 1500 calories a day is right for me.

After 18 months of having PT, he has only just started really looking at what I eat as he knows how good I am. He just wanted to change a few little things as I'm close to goal now.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I did what my trainer said to do for 6 months and I lost 4lbs on a 1200 diet. I followed her diet to the T and was working out 4-5 times a week! (I didnt cheat or lie about what I was eating in those 6 months!)
    I went to the doctor found out I have some medical problems my doctor suggested diets that work well with my condition. I have lost 65lbs on my own following a diet totally against my trainers advise :)!

I was working with my trainer a month ago she asked me how many calories I was eating I told her 1400 and she told me to cut my calories down to 1200 and not eat back my exercise calories. So after reading the road map by Dan on MFP I decided to go against her advise (LOL!) and again I continue to lose weight at a steady pace!

I have a calorie monitor and if I slept/sat all day/night I burn just under 1900 calories. I am 5'3 and 174lbs and my BMR is 1575. Sort term you will lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet, long term you will have to either up your intake to BMR or lower your calories below 1200 to lose weight. In my opinion, unless trainers are certified in nutrition they should not be giving advise on diets because they usually are way low in calories and long term cause more problems then they solve.

Either way good luck with what you decide :)!