What foods have you embraced?

Options
I just responded to a thread about what foods people have given up. It inspired me to start a new topic on what foods people have embraced - kind of the positive side of changing the way you eat, rather than focusing on the losses.

Having removed grains from my menus, I find that my sense of taste and smell seems to have gotten keener. I find that I'm enjoying several vegetables that I did not previously like.

Guy Lan (Chinese Broccoli) is one of them. I especially like the dark leafy green portion of these. Bok Choy and Baby Bok Choy are great as well.

Almonds. Never really did it for me before, but now I love Wheat Free Tamari Almonds.

Cauliflower. The scent of it cooking used to make me heave. Now I mash it, use it in soups, rice it. We're going through 3 heads of it a week in our house.

Coconut oil. Used to be too coconutty. Not a flavour I liked before. I've since discovered how great it is to cook with and that the scent and taste work with the things I like to eat.

Dark Chocolate. 85% or higher. I used to be a milk chocolate guy - but what I was really getting from it was the texture and sugar. I actually know what chocolate tastes like now.

Salads in general. When you make your own dressings with really good oils and white balsamic/cider/rice vinegars, you really start to realize how great salad can be.

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    raw baby spinach. I use it on sandwiches instead of lettuce dip in vinagarette. I love raw unsalted almonds. I know what you mean, I used to be milk chocolate person only. Now I enjoy 70 percent or higher chocolate. I prefer it now! Go figure. There is a great recipe online where you rice cauliflower squeeze it dry add some grated cheese form into a pizza crust that everyone raves about!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i used to hate beans with a passion. but once I realized how good they are for you, I just started eating them even though I didn't like them. After a while, guess what happened?

I started enjoying them.

in other words eat your damn veggies and they'll grow on you - promise! :tongue:
  • Rachyroopoo
    Rachyroopoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oats! They make a great pre-workout snack and I now make my own cereal concoction, predominately using oats.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Shrimp. Everything else I have always liked.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Fish! i still dont eat much seafood, but I used to dislike Salmon, tuna steaks, tilapia, etc. now I enjoy them and have learned to cook them myself, in ways I really enjoy. EVERYONE I know was surprised when I started eating fish because I used to complain about the smell, but now fish is one of my favorite foods.

Still too scared to try shellfish, though LOL!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Tuna, and coconut oil. And dark chocolate. I HATED it before, but after not eating overly sugary candy/choclate bars for so long, it suddenly tasted a lot better.
  • natalienora
    natalienora Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Kale!

I've been making kale chips almost every day for over a week now. I love how many flavors you can put together. Lately it's been parmesan and garlic. So good.

I've also been putting it in my post-workout protein shakes. :)
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt. Never ate it before. Now I have some everyday, and get anxious if I start running low.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    water
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Beets. Tried them at Mac Grill sent food back, explained that it tasted to me like "dirt jello". Mgr. laughed. Then awhile later I found beet chips on my salad at Nordstrom Bistro. Asked if they were beets, waiter said yes, I think I hate beets, I do too he says, but those I like, okay leave the plate I'll try it....yummy delicious crouton alternative!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on barley for breakfast. Who knew?
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt. Never ate it before. Now I have some everyday, and get anxious if I start running low.

The only way I liked yoghurt before was flavored and sweet. Now I eat full fat plain Balkan style yog.
  • browneyes97
    Options
    Kale!

I've been making kale chips almost every day for over a week now. I love how many flavors you can put together. Lately it's been parmesan and garlic. So good.

I've also been putting it in my post-workout protein shakes. :)

Me too! Love kale chips! Plus, pears and mango's are my new favorite fruits.
  • donaines
    donaines Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms! I used to hate them as a kid, but now I add 'em to lots of things (homemade english muffin pizzas, eggs in the mornings, salads).
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Foods I've embraced that I didn't really care for before:

coconut oil and milk
    avocado/guacamole
    different types of greens besides romaine and spinach
    pork
    mushrooms (but they have to be sauteed)
  • SaraJanePOWER
    SaraJanePOWER Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fish, cod, talapia, tuna. never did eat it before. Now at least one time per week if not 2. Love the low fat /high protein. Turns out my taste buds have changed.I acutally like fish... 6 months ago this would have seemed like punishement. weird.
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    I like the positive spin!

Any types of beans or legumes - most of the time when I cook now I use half the amount of meat I used to and bulk it up with them.

Boiled eggs - they r an amazing snack!
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower. The scent of it cooking used to make me heave. Now I mash it, use it in soups, rice it. We're going through 3 heads of it a week in our house.

I'm trying *so hard* to like cauliflower, because it's a handy substitution for things like rice, but...:sick: Any particular recipe or way of cooking it that won you over?
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I'm trying *so hard* to like cauliflower, because it's a handy substitution for things like rice, but...:sick: Any particular recipe or way of cooking it that won you over?

I steam for about 20 minutes and throw it in the food processor with at least 2 oz of cream cheese and a couple of tablespoons of butter.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a big one for me.

Fruit/protein smoothies.

Yam/Sweet potatoes

whole grain breads (especially if I have peanut butter or nutella around)

Green Beans

Pineapple

Just fruit in general

I also like gai lan and bok choy. I love chinese food. The one thing I cannot seem to give up is fried rice. My mother's recipe is the best. I eat it at least twice, even 3 times a week.