I'm Considering Getting a Perm

Options
SJax7192
SJax7192 Posts: 46 Member
I am considering getting a perm…

I have naturally curly hair, which is thick that is straight from my scalp to about the bottom of my hair and at the bottom it’s just limp curl.

I want my hair to be curly ALL THE TIME without having to style it and make it not natural. I’ve never had bouncy, product induced, curls and I want that REALLY BAD.

But I’ve heard getting a perm isn’t good, so I need opinions! Now that I’m losing weight, I want to completely transform myself from head to toe.

Please help! Thank you!

Replies

• Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    ^^BUMP^^
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    lol I don't have any hair to perm bro, been shaving it the last 4 months. I'll keep that in mind tho
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting more of a wave?
  • SJax7192
    Options
    No I want bouncy curls without having to sacrifice being natural because of product
  • weightedfootsteps
    Options
    It might be best to talk to someone who works at a salon and knows how your hair would take to it...but I think you would look good with bouncy curls.
  • SJax7192
    Options
    Thank you dear! I'll definitely do that! You've most certainly calmed some of my fears! :)
  • weightedfootsteps
    Options
    your welcome :)
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    The wand makes beautiful curls.
    And you wouldn't have to get a permanent wave.

Or if you wash your hair.
    Braid it while it's wet (tightly) sleep in it get up in the morning blow dry the braid
    and then press it with a flat iron then let the braid down you get pretty curls!

But if you do decide to get a permanent wave go talk to someone in the salon.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i did a perm in 8th grade OH THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!! lol.. i got it done at the mall and i walked out looking like a poodle... my hair was sooooooo curly it looked like a 70's afro!! lol..... and when it grew out omg it was straight at the top and curly at the bottom... it damaged my hair sooooooooooo bad!!! ahhh never ever again.... lol..... if u have thick thivk hair than it may work for u but i have medium thin hair soooo idk..
  • whierd
    Options
    I think you hair is lovely as it is.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Me Too.

iStock_000002723859XSmall.jpg
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!! I did one once... I had hair clowns would have been embarrassed by. It can go so wrong. Your hair is beautiful don't wreck it.
  • gmille2
    Options
    Have you tried the curly girl method? It helps you get your curly hair so healthy that it gets a better curl. You pretty much have to stop blow drying and using heat tools. I tried it and my hair has silkier, bouncier curl...it is for all curly hair. I have the book and I think from your picture you could get the type of hair you want without a perm, which I have seen go all wrong. Good Luck!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    If you decide to get one, make sure you find someone who specializes in perms, not just someone who knows how to do them, but someone who specializes in them. they aren't as common as they once were so you may have to search around a bit, but its worth it.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Do you want kind of wavy, loose curls? Like her: http://www.hairpediaclub.com/wp-content/uploads/This-Fall’s-Best-Hairstyle-Trends-For-Curly-Hair.jpg

Or do you want tighter curls, like her: http://cooleasyhairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/vintage-curly-hairstyles-4.jpg

It may be helpful to take some pics to the salon when you go to ask a stylist about it, so they know exactly what you mean.

Also, sorry about the urls, I don't really know how to do pics in the forum :embarassed:
  • Electricls
    Electricls Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I recently (August 2012) did what is tenderly known as the "big chop" a process of cutting off all the "relaxed" hair to allow my natural hair to grow out. I had been getting relaxers (the opposite of a perm but the same kind of chemical treatment) since I was like 8 or 9. I'm very glad I decided to stop the checmical treatments and it's been great. I love my hair and am getting to know it better and become better at styling and caring for it how it should be cared for. I said all that to say, NO NEED TO GET A PERM. There's a bunch of different product lines out there for naturally curly hair. Plus the suggestion to go to the salon and get thier opinion is key, but also check out some youtube videos. I bet there will be plenty others giving tutuorials on how to achieve the look you are going for without chemical treatments. Good luck #teamnatural
  • lscruella
    Options
    Don't do it.... if you already have curly hair the perm will turn it frizzy and then you will have a total disaster! I would suggest getting some steam rollers. They are easy to use and because they infuse your hair with steam, it will keep your hair from getting dried out. They create soft natual looking curls. Also think of investing in some good hair products from a salon, my personal favorite is Biolage made by Matrix, they have some great products out there designed to help with curls. I don't know your hair style but getting some layers might also help add some bounce by taking the weight out. Overall getting a consultation from a hairstylist is the best way to go. This is just my opinion so it really is up to you. Good luck!!
  • SJax7192
    Options
    Ok so I've gone against the perm and decided to fix what I'm using as shampoo instead because I looked up the Curly Girl Method which says to watch out for sulfates and all that stuff and I really need a good conditioner...

So I've narrowed it down to two shampoos and conditioners: Pantene or Tresemme

Any ideas?
  • whierd
    Options
    I personally like the smell of Pantene a lot more, but you may find that it dries your hair out more than Tresseme.

(says the bald guy)