Cant even last 5 mins

Options
So i decided to try out the gym. Im 5ft 1 and around 190lbs. I suffer asthma and am very unfit. I have been swimming twice a week for a few weeks but nothing major in the way of exercise.

I started off on the treadmill for a warm up and could barely last 5 mins. The back of my calves were killing me!
I moved onto the elliptical and same... could barely last

Is this normal? Im so embarassed thats its completely put me off going to the gym! :(

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Running is one of those things that looks simple, and hey everyone does it - but it's actually quite tricky.

Start slowly. Just walk on the treadmill for a minute. Then gradually increase the speed. Try to do a minute at each slightly higher speed, until you find a level you can maintain. Take it back down for a minute or 2 every time you feel it's too much.
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere. You'll get better.

Doing something is better than doing nothing as thesaying goes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it - slowly ease into it. If you have not exercised before, especially if you have asthma, it is expected. Make sure you have your inhaler with you, if you have one, just in case.

No-one will pay attention to how long you do - they will assume you are warming up for something else or have already done some exercise. I jump on for a few minutes before lifting and for only about 10 - 15 minutes after.
  • akgirl88
    akgirl88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    dont worry! when i started, i found i could also only do about 5 min on the elliptical. i just made sure not to let it discourage me, and made a goal to do more the following day (i did about 12 min). it went on like that for about a week, until i found myself being able to do a half hr and now i can do an hour. :)

im sure you'll improve a lot too, just stick with it! :D
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Oh I was the same way! I was standing on the treadmill next to this little old lady who was jogging and I could barely walk with it set at 2. Then I realized....no one was paying attention to me so it didn't matter how fast I was going or for how long. I started out slow and slowly worked my way up. Even now when I start to hurt...I don't feel too badly about backing it down a bit. I have really bad knees and ankles (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis) so I'll probably never run....or jog, but I know I'm moving more than I ever did before! Do what you can do...and slowly you'll realize its getting easier. I love my treadmill now :)
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5k, someone here suggested it a couple months ago and it's been great for me.
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    was that your first time? my calves also hurt when I first ran on the treadmill (approx. 10 min) but it went away after three days, it's normal and it only happens on your first and second run.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    When I first started to exercise beyond walking, I was almost 300 lbs and it was simple pilates. That 15 minute routine left me drenched and panting. Now I do an hour on the elliptical at almost full resistance, feet and hips stationary for half of it. Do what you're capable of, and in no time you'll find you're capable of a helluva lot more than you used to be.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Not sure I could even manage 2 minutes on the elliptical when I started! And don't stress about the treadmill either, walking up a slight gradient is a good way of easing into it as well. But in answer to your question, yes, it will get easier, promise. Little and often and you'll soon be noticing a difference.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    Yes it was my first time since i was about 14 lol.

I started on treadmill flat and gradually increased speed to about 4 then increased the incline. I think i lasted about 7 mins in total... and the calorie burn didnt look significant either!

I moved onto the elliptical but didnt register the speed was probably more like a job but i did feel i could longer / faster when going backwards????

I thought my calves may be due to footwear. I wear heels everyday and only occasionally trainers / flat footwear so i have been wearing flat shoes at weekends / out of work to try ease my calves back into a stretch, maybe this will help...?
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i lost 25 kg a few years back and only ran on a netball court or in interval training. to start with a minute or two was like i was being stabbed repeatedly so I ran one, walked 4 to fill up 30 mins one day. Then I just played with those numbers. Some days it was half and half, some was run four walk 1, but always up and down. One day I did run continuously for 25 mins, but it just made my boobs hurt.

One minute running is better than no minutes running :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    So i decided to try out the gym. Im 5ft 1 and around 190lbs. I suffer asthma and am very unfit. I have been swimming twice a week for a few weeks but nothing major in the way of exercise.

I started off on the treadmill for a warm up and could barely last 5 mins. The back of my calves were killing me!
    I moved onto the elliptical and same... could barely last

Is this normal? Im so embarassed thats its completely put me off going to the gym! :(

When starting a new exercise you're bound to get achy afterwards as you're working muscles in a way they are not used to. Be sure to allow them time to recover before working them again until they get more used to it, which they will. Add on a small amount of distance and/or speed to your workout each week. You could also try intervals (e.g. the C25K plan) where you run for a minute then walk for a minute, gradually building up the running time and decreasing walking time.

Don't be put off, everyone had to start somewhere and no one will be paying any attention to what you are doing. If they are, then they're not concentrating on their own workouts hard enough.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch a long while before starting a new workout. Your muscles may not be fatigued they may just be overly tight. Also, dont be hard on your self for starting slow. you will get there. Can you do 5 mins then get off and do weights, then back to 5 mins. Like circuit training?
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    About 8 years ago when I started working out, I was the same way. I was VERY out of shape, and could only last about 5 minutes on the treadmill. I just kept at it. I went almost every day, and I alternated between the elliptical and the treadmill. I would use the weight machines every other day. Before I knew it, I was off the treadmill and could run 5k easily. I would say it took about 4 months total. I have been fit ever since.

Just keep going, do what you can do. I feel like we put to much pressure on ourselves and feel as if we have to run a 5k or a 10k or a marathon. You just have to do what you can.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch a long while before starting a new workout. Your muscles may not be fatigued they may just be overly tight. Also, dont be hard on your self for starting slow. you will get there. Can you do 5 mins then get off and do weights, then back to 5 mins. Like circuit training?

You should stretch AFTER working out, not before. You need to have warm muscles before you stretch (think pulling on a cold rubber band versus a warm one). If you enjoy stretching pre-workout, you should still warm up first.
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    I just saw you wear heals alot, that may totally be it! Stretch those gals out! Can you wear heals less often? Your achilles tendon and gastrocnemius (calve) muscles are probably way tight.
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    Do you think wearing heals all day may be her warm up though? When I take of heals I stretch my legs so they dont stay tight?
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says start slowly. I personally would try and build up to 30 minutes walking on the treadmill before even starting to run. I would probably put a small incline on (say 1%) but that is only because I find it more uncomfortable on the flat!

I have exactly the same issue with my calves, so I understand how horrid it is. (I changed to flats and found a very small improvement). The biggest improvement has come from a strict stretching routine - after my warm up, after my workout, and I have invested in a foam roller which I use after a warm bath. Its taking a long time. but tight calves that have not been challenged for years don't go away over night. Good Luck
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    5 will become 10 minutes before you know it. You don't have to run a mile right away. Good for you for caring about your body enough to begin this process. Being patient is the key!! Keep up the good work. It will get easier and you will begin to love it. Those endorphins are pretty powerful.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Oh and make sure you have a really good pair of shoes. I have plantars fasciitis due to running in bad shoes.