Just had oral surgery and I need help

Options
So I just had my two bottom wisdom teeth removed. They were impacted and the dentist need to remove bone and everything :sad:
Now I have to eat a "soft" food diet. the first day my face hurt so I couldn't eat much of anything so I wasnt too upset when I ended with a low calorie count... its been about four days and I've come to realize that I am inadvertently STARVING myself :frown: Yesterday I only consumed 400 calories. I know this is not good. Does anyone know soft foods with a decent calorie number that I could possibly eat? My smaller friends are all saying things like " when I had my Oral Surgery I ate ice cream and pudding it was great" :grumble: Not so good when I'm trying to eat right and do better for me. PLEASE HELP!!! :cry:

Replies

• lstatler1
    lstatler1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you can do warm foods, there are plenty of healthy soups. Otherwise, there is always yogurt (frozen yogurt if you need something cold), smoothies (homemade), and cottage cheese, etc. Hope that helps.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in September, I essentially ate a lot of yogurt and mashed potatoes, but I also took a lot of veggies, etc, left over from family dinners, and "mashed" them with some beef broth or chicken broth. I got dry sockets, so I lived off soup, yogurt, sherbert, frozen yogurt, mashed potatoes, and other mashed veggies for about a month. I lost 15 pounds, even eating as much of these things as I could. Gained it all back already though! lol
  • holdingon2faith793
    Options
    I ate over easy eggs, ALOT of them. You can also whip up some protein shakes.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Shakes!
  • Kwpenguin
    Kwpenguin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    if you do shakes (milkshake or protein), don't drink them through a straw- don't want to get dry socket!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    When I had my wisdom teeth removed I drank Atkins shakes because they were easy and full of protein. I ate a lot of greek yogurt, too.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Honestly, ice cream and pudding sounds like a good idea right now. It has lots of protein, but it also has lots of calories, and you don't seem at risk of overdoing it.
  • katemarie4
    katemarie4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i got mine out in december. i mostly ate oatmeal, mashed potatoes, carnation instant breakfast, cottage cheese, applesauce, and bolthouse farms protein drinks. to me, all the icecream and pudding stuff just made me sick thinking about it. good luck! you'll feel better soon!
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just had all four of mine done on january 10th. you can look back through my food diary if you want for some ideas. I made alot of homemade soups after I would say day 5 when I was up for go ing to the grocery but up until the end of last week I was still eating a soft diet. I had to blend the canned soups I had the first 5 days. I found I could eat the stouffers frozen macaroni from the freezer section and it made me feel great since it was comfort food, heavy in calories (and I was having a hard time with getting enough) and I could swallow it whole easily! Puddings/jellos/apple sauce/yougurt for snacks. But lots of soups, some pastas that are smaller in shape and you can swallow with just chewing with your front teeth a time or two but not actual biting. I can't chew with my front teeth as they do not close I have an open bite due to my TMJ so I would just use my tongue to push soft stuff against my front teeth to cut it up. Protein shakes (I drank regular protein powder as well as shakeology, no I am not a beachbody coach but I do like their shakes). Someone had suggested to me to try eggs the first few days and I don't know what about it but nah ah couldn't eat them which was surprising. I found they were difficult to swallow without being chewed up well and choking me and making my throat hurt.
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh also things like ritz crackers can be dipped in soup and pretty much dissolve in your mouth.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had mine out last year and it took around 2 weeks before I was eating solid food again. I made a really yummy leek and potato soup and another beetroot soup and ate these cold for the first few days. You can also have things like smoothies, natural yoghurt (if you really need the calories add a little berry jam), stew, mashed banana, mash potato berries frozen in ice cubes (great for the swelling), soft noodles and even jello. As a treat and the end of one week I had apple crumble and cream, not healthy but after a week of living off soup and smoothies I needed it!
  • melthedog
    Options
    My daughter had orthognathic surgery at Christmas (!). She had both jaws broken and reset with screws and plates to correct her bite. At the start of her recovery she was on a totally liquid diet (through a straw) and we made red lentil soup with tomatoes and coriander topped with youghurt (lovely and very nutritious); banana milkshake- 1 banana, 1 tbsp vanilla ice cream, couple of slices of tinned mango, peach or pear, apple juice and topped up with milk.

Also, Milo is a very good and filling drink, fortified with B vitamins (for energy).

Ratatouille is good (made from roasted peppers, courgette and aubergine then sauteed onions & garlic, add the roasted veg and tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs, simmer around 20 mins- half an hour) and can be blended and add extra stock to make it into a roasted vegetable & tomato soup.

:smile: Baked or mashed potatoes also work well, and you can mash a bit of grated cheese into this as well as some milk to soften it up.

I think it's hard to over eat on a soft/liquid diet, and you need the nutrition to speed up the recovery! Good luck.
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just had 2 of mine out last week, plus some other dental work. For me the key was to have something soft that was easy to chew, and not hot (at least for the first couple of days), as I didn't have stitches and hot food/drink could cause issues with wound site clotting properly. I survived on peanut butter sandwiches on white bread (crusts removed) - which was tough because I don't think I've eaten white bread for years! It was easy to chew though ;) I also had a lot of lukewarm scrambled eggs, which sounds grosser than it actually was. It was quite filling, and it at least had some good stuff in it after a few days of barely eating.

Take good care of yourself! I hope you feel better soon.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth removed in 2007, and then i got a horrible infection, so I had 3 weeks of not being able to eat much!

I had lots of yoghurt and soup. You could do any soup you like and just blend it. Mashed potato/sweet potato would be good.

I guess just purée anything really, like casserole. That's what I did when I was weaning my kids :smile:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 our and impacted, same thing. BUT ALL 4. Yuck... I ate baby food and drank slim fast shakes to get something in my system. I also had a bad reaction to the anesthetic and was having seizures from it, so it was adding to the pain of my teeth and not being able to eat. Worst experience ever.
  • kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Celariac makes a nice mash. pea and mint pure' with fish or scalops?
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    shakes
    smoothies
    eggs
    oatmeal
    fruit
    steamed veggies
    soup
    avocado (HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
    yogurt
    cottage cheese
    pasta
    apple sauce
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yikes they make it sound like a ball in the park when you have the consult! Yeah but I'd try what everyone else is saying. Soup, yogurt, rice cereal, and if Ur calorie input is that low, some pudding shouldn't hurt u at all
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Mashed avacado
    Smoothies made with yoghurt
    Mashed potatoes