Cant even last 5 mins

Options

Replies

• I started off on the treadmill for a warm up and could barely last 5 mins. The back of my calves were killing me!
    I moved onto the elliptical and same... could barely last

Is this normal? Im so embarassed thats its completely put me off going to the gym! :(

Trust me, it's normal!! I have astma too and could only walk for 15 minutes on the treadmill (and still would feel my calves burning!). STICK TO IT.

Today, I can easily run for 50 minutes and do some more elliptical and weightlifing and I'm still ok. Went from 'below average' fitness to 'above average' fitness.

KEEP GOING BABE! But always remember to push yourself a bit harder everytime. I didn't do that the first two years and I kept walking on the treadmill. One day I just got so angry with myself that I started running and I've never stopped. YOU'LL LOVE IT!

:flowerforyou:
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Go with c25k (or couch to 5 km) a programme for total novice runners

Link
    >http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Worked wonders for me, although i did get fitted for running shoes as i pronate when running and this cured my shin pain

after the 5 min warm up walk i always stretch before running

Happy running :drinker:
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Walking fast may be a better way for you to start out the first week or so. Then maybe add a 30 second run at the beginning, middle, and end of your walk for a few days. Then up those runs to a minute each for a few. The little run every few minutes does a couple things, it raises your heart rate so that when you are 'just' walking so that you burn more calories, and as you up how long you do the running part every few days you are increasing your resistance. A.t some point you'll want to reassess and start a running program, but this is a good way to start.

You just might not like a treadmill. Maybe outside is better, or even a mall if you are just walking for now. Attitude has a lot to do with 'stamina' when it comes to jogging. I can play 2 soccer games back to back but I have a hard time running one mile, and if there are hills during that mile, forget it! The battle at this point is more in your head than anything else.
  • badmojo108
    Options
    I have asthma which is one of the reasons I picked up running when I was in junior high. It helped me go from from not being allowed to participate in gym to playing two varsity sports. I stopped running after high school, just didn't make time for it, work, GF, the usual excuses, and over the last few years I really packed on a lot of weight. With those two things combined, my asthma came back with a vengeance. When I tried to start running again 8 months ago I couldn't even do 5 minutes before I had to use my inhaler.

How I started running was I would set a goal for a distance then time myself for that distance. So maybe the first day it takes you 20 minutes to walk a mile, how long doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but you want a pace that lets you complete the mile with having an asthma attack. Each day you try to finish your mile faster, and eventually you get to a point where you can maintain a brisk walking pace for the entire mile. Once you are walking at steady brisk pace for the entire mile, then I would start incorporating short periods of running, light jogging, or just walking even faster. Something as small as 10 seconds run, then back to walking at a brisk pace for 2 minutes. Gradually increase the duration of running and/or shorten the "rest periods" of just walking at a brisk pace. Eventually you will get to where you can run the entire mile.

That's the method that worked for me both when I was kid and then recently as a older out of shape fat guy. The standard advice I got of "just go run as long as you can, then do it again the next day and eventually you'll be able to run a mile" just didn't work for me. Doing it this way let me get the calorie burn of a mile (the caloric difference between walking a mile and running it isn't huge) and it let my lungs get a really low impact cardio workout without an asthma attack stopping me dead in my tracks. Running makes a world of difference with my asthma, I used to always have my inhaler on me at all times, now I just leave one in my car and one in my bedroom for emergencies, but I haven't had to use it few months. Best of luck to you, I have complete faith that you can do it.
  • BendySpartan
    BendySpartan Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeah start slow and build up do what you can and before you know it you'll be looking back at how far you've come. Yep alternate footwear. I know my legs are used to heels and being in flats etc does make my calves tight.
    Good luck, keep at it xx
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You don't *have* to run. I haven't been able to run since I was in Jr. High, but I still was active.
    When I would go on the treadmill at the gym, I normally don't go above 4.0-4.5.
    Start out walking at 2.0, after minute go to 2.5. In a couple minutes go to 3.0, then 2 more minutes go to 3.5.
    There is your 5 minute warm up to 3.5. In 5 minutes (at your 10:00mark) go to 4.0.
    Do 4.0 for 5-10 minutes, then back down to 3.5 for 5 minutes, then cool down for 5 minutes.
    I used to do that when I was starting out at the gym. Doing it this way I'd be on for about 20-30 minutes, then I'd do weights for about 20 minutes. Was a pretty good workout for myself/ abilities at the time.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    Judging by the replies i have tried to do too much too soon. I have speed quite high quite soon and incline quite high.

So i should

a) Start at slow speed and every few minutes up the speed until i have done 10 minutes then work way back down which gives a 20 minute workout.
    b) Try the c25k workout. I have this on my ipod just not used it.

Can you do the C25k on the elliptical? I prefer the elliptical to the treadmill, i normally just use treadmill as a warm up tool .
  • stefosaurusrawrrrr
    Options
    Totally normal! When I first started going to the gym I was just like you :] but overtime I slowly increased the time taken to run, when I started getting tired from running I would walk on the treadmill until I thought I could run again. I pushed myself and now I can run decent distances without stopping :]

Also I would recommend running, then walking, then running. I found that after running for a while the elliptical was much easier. I guess it's personal preference. I've never done C25K.

It takes time to build up fitness so keep persevering and you will get there!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Keep at it - as has been said by others ; you'll build up slowly.

And since you wear mostly heels add leg stretches to your routine to avoid injury.
  • trudance4
    Options
    I was 181 and 5ft 1 when I started off, I have severe asthma and I cant run at all with out having an asthma attack. My calves still get sore when walking on the treadmill.

I barely lasted in the gym or classes but now I am alot stronger and fitter. I am finding it a lot easier a year and a half later.

Please stick at it, it is very tough but you have to start somewhere and I am glad I stuck at it as now, I feel healthier, I am not as tired but I still cant do an awful lot of cardio due to my asthma, so I tend to do light cardio and more weights and it still burns the calories.

I hope this helps.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere!

I regularly run 8k on the treadmill - when I first started, I could barely do ten minutes at walking pace. But keep at it - hard work pays off, and frankly people are too involved in their own workouts to give a damn about anyone else!
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think 5 minutes is really good considering you're not an active runner. Plus you have asthma, so double good. I use singulair before exercising, it helps ALOT. When I get back to exercising I doubt I'll be able to do 5 minutes either.
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch a long while before starting a new workout. Your muscles may not be fatigued they may just be overly tight. Also, dont be hard on your self for starting slow. you will get there. Can you do 5 mins then get off and do weights, then back to 5 mins. Like circuit training?

You should stretch AFTER working out, not before. You need to have warm muscles before you stretch (think pulling on a cold rubber band versus a warm one). If you enjoy stretching pre-workout, you should still warm up first.

You can do large fluid movements to limber up....think windmill arms, gentle neck rolls....shaking it out....just to kind of get your blood flowing....
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you want to up your oxygen intake in the most efficient way possible (for untrained people), this is a workout pattern which has been deveoped through research. You won't become a very strong runner, but it will help your heart and your circulation, and it's a good place to start if you have never tried before.

You do it biking, walking, running - any cardio exercise is fine.

4 minutes very easy and relaxed.
    2 minutes as high intensity as you can.
    3 minutes relaxed.
    2 minutes high intensity, want to be really fighting it.
    3 minutes relaxed.
    2 minutes very intense.
    3 minutes relaxed.
    2 minutes intense.
    3-5 minutes relaxed cooldown.

The clue to this is in the high intensity in the shorter periods. If you were able to do 8 minutes in one go, as hard as possible, full out, you could do that - but then you need to be fairly fit. This way you get to catch your breath.

It's the strain on your system by high intensity that helps your heart and your circulation.

This won't make you fit fast, so if you want to become a long distance runner, this is not the wrkout. But if you are very unfit and just want to do the quickest thing you can to take care of your heart, this is it.

Repeat 4-5 times a week.

And it's perfectly normal if you hurt 2-3 days after this, for the first 10 times. You are pushing yourself as much as you can, something you hardly ever have done up to now. You wil lbe sore.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am also an ashtma sufferer and I mostly either run (street running rather than at the gym) or do Zumba class as exercise. When I started my 'running' plan i set out on a 2.5 mile circuit, jogging about 200 yards and then walking for 3-4 mins and then jogging again. I just about made it round and was exhausted.

Last night I did a 5 mile jog, it took me 61mins so I'm not breaking any speed records but I jogged the whole way without stopping, even up the hills where I used to have to stop. It's only taken me about 4 months to build up to this and that was with a break of weeks off with an injury after a car accident.

Just keep at it and you will amaze yourself!!!

Good luck.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Took me three months of walking starting at one mile in 25 minutes with pauses and building to ten miles per day in 150 minutes
    Then I got on an exercise bike - went for 6 miles in 30 minutes at 12 mph
    Took me three months of bike before went for first jog - disastrous
    Took me another three months of bike before started training for 5k
    After year on mfp did my 5k without stopping in 30 mins
    Now can go for 40 miles on exercise bike in 120 minutes at 20mph

Running is waste of space for me as bad for joints but have promised to run again in 7 weeks to see if losing a further 25lbs makes a difference

2012 3800 miles on bike; 25 miles ran
    2013 to date 600 miles on bike ; 0 miles ran

Luckily apart from the running all done in the comfort of home and have watched a lot of blu-rays

It ain't easy but it is worth it

Enjoy your journey
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So i decided to try out the gym. Im 5ft 1 and around 190lbs. I suffer asthma and am very unfit. I have been swimming twice a week for a few weeks but nothing major in the way of exercise.

I started off on the treadmill for a warm up and could barely last 5 mins. The back of my calves were killing me!
    I moved onto the elliptical and same... could barely last

Is this normal? Im so embarassed thats its completely put me off going to the gym! :(

I was 5'2" and 228 when I started at the gym last year...managed to walk for 30 minutes, but my calves were on FIRE to the point where I literally stumbled when I got off the treadmill. And I had just come off a REALLY bad cycle of bronchitis and asthma flares that lasted 4 MONTHS. But I stuck with it...and after a while I wasn't dripping in sweat, and I didn't stumble anymore. I still don't go more than 3.4mph, but I do do hill intervals at level 7!

I swear that darn treadmill is the reason I have had nice legs for months--I already had nice legs when I started lifting 4 months ago!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    When I started I could barely stand for 30 seconds at a stretch and walking was just impossible. I had to get a doctors script for aquatic therapy to utilize weight displacement so I could stand long enough to get any exercise and the first time I ever went I still only last 5 minutes. Fast forward to today (42 months) and I have swam 78 laps in the last 2 days and am heading to the gym in an hour for my normal 75 minutes on the elliptical. Point is we all started somewhere and most cases it wasn't pretty but we was persistent and kept going back and over time built up to what we all can do today... But it never means we stop pushing ourselves. If I did 38 laps Sunday then I was going for 40 laps yesterday and Wednesday it will be 42.... Best of Luck,,,,
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    First of all, good for you for trying! You rock for making up your mind to do it, and the fact you are asking for help means you are not quitting!

Others have said it, but you have to start slow. When I first started, I was DYING after five minutes, Six months later I walk on a 2% incline for 45 to 50 minutes, about 2.5 to 3.0 mph. You have to build up to it. And not quit.

I tried C25K. I got dehydrated while I was doing it, and got tachycardic. After I got re-hydrated and took off for a week, my stamina was nil. Make SURE you stay hydrated, and cut the caffeine. I still walk and will not be running until I get below 300 pounds, because it was hurting my legs way, way too bad. I will go back to C25K when I hit 299.

Said that to tell you this- sometimes you have to modify your goals based on what your body allows you to do- which in turn is based on your fitness level (look at Ed Davenport's post above for a prime example of not quitting because you can't do it like everyone else).

Keep it up, and know that we are here to help!
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Hey, this traffic has been very encouraging. Really was struggling these last 2 weeks: someone thought I was walking but I was running....Does anyone have input regarding the weigh ins? 194 lbs on Saturday and 199 by Tuesday morning! Yuck.