Afterburn work-outs

Options
I really need to know some workouts I can do to achieve the afterburn method. I've looked on the internet but can't find any! Does anyone know of any workouts that use the afterburn method?

Would be so grateful if you can help

Cassie

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Squats, Deadlift, and Bench press.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean? Are you talking about having a greater EPOC? If you look on Lyle McDonald's website, he talks about this and says that even though HIIT is better than steady state cardio in this area, that the length of the steady state workouts burns more calories anyway so it doesn't matter in the long run. Now if that's not what you meant, then I am not sure how to answer. :tongue:
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    After Burn is another fancy way of saying raising your metabolism.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    After Burn is another fancy way of saying raising your metabolism.

Oh.

Then just pick up heavy things and put them back down. Repeat. :laugh:
  • fishbrain976
    fishbrain976 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    anything that is intense and short.

believe it or not, sprinting for 5 minutes will give you an after burn effect, as oppose to jogging for 30 minutes
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Squats, Deadlift, and Bench press.

This. HIIT. Any anaerobic activity using large compound muscle movements is more beneficial for boosting your metabolism post workout.
  • Whirlagirl
    Options
    Agree with HIIT training. I just finished a Turbo Fire HIIT workout, but the same "afterburn effect" can be reached using a jump rope (tons of methods available online) or even those Zuzka or BodyRock HIIT vids on YouTube.
  • BrentDry
    BrentDry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with the term "afterburn" but could you be meaning the boost you get from Interval Training. Spin bikes are often used for this but it can be done just jogging/running. Essentially the intense interval (usually a minute or less) is used to raise your heart rate so that the "normal" exercise between the high intensity bursts is higher than it would be if you just did that rate usually. Means you get more energy use or burn for the same total exercise time or you can do a shorter workout for the original benefit.
    e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_training
    Hope this helps.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    http://www.charlotteord.co.uk/files/2012/01/fat-loss-jumpstart.pdf

Charlotte is like the UK version of Jillianbut with more qulifications.

She does full body workouts followed by HIIT to finish - HIIT being 30 seconds intense activity and then 30 seconds rest for 6 minutes
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I read a post on here yesterday saying that the afterburn theory is not true??

I'm really confuddled now :indifferent:
  • leestanley3
    leestanley3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Follow the wendler 5 3 1 program.. and you'll be fine.. use the boring but big assistance if you want to really hit it hard.. also tabata row at the end of each session. 8 rounds 20 secs work 10 secs recovery.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

It is true but it's not as big as many people think. It is generally around 10% of the calories burned during the workout. If you burn 300 cal during the workout you will additionally burn around 30 cal more in the following 24 hours.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

It is true but it's not as big as many people think. It is generally around 10% of the calories burned during the workout. If you burn 300 cal during the workout you will additionally burn around 30 cal more in the following 24 hours.

yes this

the EPOC effects of HIT have been overrated my most people, studies show this to be anywhere from 5-15% which is pretty much irrelevant IMO. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17101527
  • notthatthis
    Options

yes this

the EPOC effects of HIT have been overrated my most people, studies show this to be anywhere from 5-15% which is pretty much irrelevant IMO. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17101527

2006 that study was first published and as with all things it concerned "trained athletes" and the results of studies on trained athletes. EPOC and HIIT should be studied in relation to the "untrained" and possibly "overweight". You will find many studies that are much more recent and discuss the majority of the group of people on myfitnesspal, namely the untrained overweight.

Studies have shown that EPOC raises 15% or higher exists for the first hour and then decays at a rate of 0.4% for upto 36 hours. Those are the studied facts, the problem is not with EPOC but peoples understanding of High INTENSITY interval Training, many just cannot push themselves hard enough to get the HIIT EPOC effect. The maths is then not 15% of the total aerobic/anaerobic activity it is much greater. And if people spend fortunes on so called "fat burners" which have negligible effects on the metabolism or EPOC then I think people are better off with some HIIT training rather than no training. Not everyone can spend hours in the gym, home, outside or at work to make steady state worthwhile.