Worried now...

Options
Past few days I've been eating like mad in the evenings! Like literally anything I can see! I've lost alot of weight so far and to be honest I can't remember a time when this has been a problem when I've excercised regularly! I'm still exercising regularly and nothing has really changed. I have a sneaky suspicion that my body has had enough of my measly diet and is fighting back. What does everyone think? How can I beat it? I really don't want to be heavy again. I've worked so hard to be where I am today and I will be mortified if I never make it below 100 kilos :(

Replies

• julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day? Your diary is hidden but since you describe it as a "measly diet" maybe you're undereating?
  • julianpoutram
    Options
    I rarely eat into my exercise cals apart from these last few days! And I usually burn about 600 cals at the gym on average! This has only just started happening to me in the last couple of days! Have you heard of anything where someone just reaches a certain weight then has soooo much difficulty not over eating. I just feel like my body is rejecting my lifestyle changes? Or am I just being ridiculous!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Eat some of your exercise cals, your body is likely telling you it needs more fuel.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories. Your body is rejecting your working out and not feeding it-it'll do that if you've worked it to death for weeks or months on end. Eat something-you'll feel better (really-you'll physically feel better). You're not overeating until mfp turns red.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue. The first 2 weeks I started this I was quite a bit under my calorie limit (by not eating back my exercise calories) and not hungry at all, but in the 3rd week every single night I'd be starving at 9 PM. So now I'm trying to make sure I eat back my exercise calories and spread the extra calories out over the day. The last few of nights I haven't had to eat at night. I also started having tea at that time that I got really hungry so that might be helping too.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    Eat some of the exercise calories. Or if you're just reaching for high calorie snacks because they're easy and you're bored (this is what I do), cut up a bunch of veggies and fruits and eat those instead.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You really should be eating some of those exercise calories back!! Eat a banana or drink a glass of water and see if that satiates your hunger
  • scot1026
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much. Your body goes through phases affecting your metabolic rate at times. I did see that you either skipped dinner or forgot to enter it yesterday. Skipping meals or consuming too few calories isn't a good practice, this can trick your body into crisis mode making it think food is scarce and then your brain tells the body to store fat. This is a left over trait left over from before we evolved from cave men. Or so I've read.
    So keep up with your workouts & don't skip meals.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You are doing really well! Just think about the progress you've made and where you want to be before you reach for the snacks. Easy to say, I know, and not that easy to do. I have the same issues of evening snacking. When I started MFP I said after I close my diary after my dinner (about 7pm) I would not eat anything else but recently it has slipped and I am eating more, usually unhealthy stuff in the evenings. My next tactic is to try and save some calories for a healthy evening snack, carrot sticks and hummus is good, sometimes with a bit of chilli sauce. If you have loads of carrot stick it lasts ages :)

I don't know about your calorie levels, you will know by now what levels you need to eat to lose weight, but switching things around, eating more satisfying foods like protein and wholegrains may help. Good luck anyway and you are doing GREAT :)
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    set yourself a time after which you will not eat (like seven oclock) keeping in mind that you will get to eat breakfast as soon as you wake up. also going to sleep early makes it much easier! all the best.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I see this a lot on MFP with people who set a goal calorie and macro-nutrient target, with the main focus on weight loss, more weight loss, and even more weight loss. What the fail to factor in is the impact of diet on their metabolism. As you diet, you cut your calories your metabolism slows - a fact overlooked by lots of people - in which most people would think to drop their calories even lower and hit the treadmill even harder. Wrong. What I would advise you to do is to undergo a process to repair your metabolism for 4 - 6 weeks by eating maintenance calories. Your metabolism takes time to repair, once complete you can drop the calories (say 200 cals below maintenance) and watch the weight drop off. Follow a 6 day diet, 1 refeed day protocol to slow metabolic deterioration. Just a suggestion from what I've experienced. I've made this mistake.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Are you doing TDEE or MFP style calorie counting? IN TDEE you dont eat your exercise cals back but on MFPs default you do.
  • cyrildoherty
    Options
    Wonder if anyone knows whats happening with me, I've been excercising (2 hours per week at the gym) from beginning of September and also walking an average of 12 miles per week and I havent dropped one single pound! Gym teacher says im not eating enough, cant understand this as it goes against all rules of 'less calories and more exercise' will make you loose weight.. im confused!
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Wonder if anyone knows whats happening with me, I've been excercising (2 hours per week at the gym) from beginning of September and also walking an average of 12 miles per week and I havent dropped one single pound! Gym teacher says im not eating enough, cant understand this as it goes against all rules of 'less calories and more exercise' will make you loose weight.. im confused!

2 hours per week of exercise and your wondering why you're not losing weight?
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR and TDEE? Are you netting between their daily (this INCLUDES exercise)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Being rediculous really.

It's what you are eating and how you are eating it.

Stress is a HUGE factor also. Anythng stressin ya out?
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've just joined a twenty four hour gym, which is great for me because I've always preferred evening exercise. Anyhoo, just got back now from a torrid session (it's about 9pm here) and I have absolutely no desire to eat at all - great appetite suppressant! Maybe try something similar when the urge to eat strikes?

Other than that, I'm *kitten* out of ideas lol. Hope you find a solution!
  • julianpoutram
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys! This is all really helpful! I have realised that maybe I'm being paranoid about eating some of my exercise cals back! Also I've noticed a very rapid deterioration in my ability to exercise recently leading me to believe that I'm not taking in enough energy to function properly. I upped my cals today and I already feel better from it. I had regular snacks throughout the day and when i got home today I had 0 problems with over eating! I've also realised that when I try to diet hard during the day it just all hits me in the evening! It just doesn't work for me so I need to spread it through the day more!

Again thanks for the comments so far, all the hints and tips have been fantastic help to me! Anymore info you guys can give me is also deeply appreciated!