If you still choose to eat less than 1200 calories a day...

Options
I am sorry but I needed to post this. I ALWAYS see people who complain about either (a) "not being hungry enough" or (b) complaining about feeling sick or ill after they start on MFP and then I see that on a REGULAR basis they are eating below MFP and ALL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL suggestion of 1,200 calories a day. [if you must know I look at food diaries to get meal suggestions since I'm sick of always eating the same things.]

The reply many people on MFP give these people is to eat more to avoid "starvation mode" and although weight loss stall is possible from a low caloric intake, there are other worse reasons why one should not eat a a VLCD (very low calorie diets) WITHOUT doctor supervision. People on VLCD (very low calorie diets) ex: either after gastric bypass, lapband, optifast, and the like lose weight by eating very little calories, however, they are UNDER doctor supervision and for good reason! Low caloric intake can cause SEVERAL health problems such as heart problems, gallblader, and kidney stones, hairloss, drop in body temperature, chronic fatigue, and anemia, to name a few. Those patients have to undergo regular blood tests and ekgs to make sure that their hearts and bodys are not in too much distress from the lack of nutrients and calories and weight loss. Moreover, those on low calorie diets, who do it properly, have a nutritionist/ dietitian to make sure that they are eating the correct types of food (proper amounts of fact/ carbs/ fiber/ protein) and that they take the proper vitamins all to ensure that they are receiving the proper nutrition.

So although in theory it sounds easy to just eat a a few calories, the reality of doing so AND BEING HEALTHY are two different things. I would recommend just eating at least the recommended minimum of 1,200 and doing it smartly - salads, fruit, lean meat, whole grains and the like and feel free to add healthy fats such as nuts and avocado, and nutrient rich foods not empty calories AND if you still refuse to eat more dont over do the exercise. However, if you insist on continuing eating this way, please do the research about the side effects of this choice and at least seek out a medical professional to ensure that you do this in a healthy way.

Thank you for letting me vent. And for the record I do believe that there is a difference between being thin and healthy (although they can easily go hand-in-hand) and often people forget that BOTH should be important in their weight loss goal.

Replies

• jazztag85
    jazztag85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    well said!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more with you Lee. I hate it when I see people eating under 1000 calories and then it is just junk or all liquids. (I see lots that eat 500 to 700 lots. It is a losing situation for these people. They can not go like this forever and eventually the body will shut down, then they over eat and what little weight they lost starving themselfs will come right back on (probably more than what they were at before trying to lose weight by not eating). I added you as a friend too.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with you too Lee. My problem is I either eat to little or too much. I am trying to be more aware and fix that.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Everyone on MFP should read this. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I barely make 1200 since becoming pregnant. Food is disgusting. Smells nasty, tastes nasty. If I eat too much, I puke. We don't all CHOOSE to eat under that amount =P
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Important points. Serious stuff.
  • amandabull1
    Options
    Thanks for venting. Everything you said is so important. Don't lose your health for the sake of being skinny - I learnt the hard way!
  • rnctipton
    rnctipton Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people can stay under 1200cal. I have such a hard time staying close to 1200 without going way over.
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ditto!!

Some MFP firends I had are not interested in any of this sound advice.

After trying to support them for a while, I have eventually unfriended these folk.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I barely make 1200 since becoming pregnant. Food is disgusting. Smells nasty, tastes nasty. If I eat too much, I puke. We don't all CHOOSE to eat under that amount =P

You're pregnant... If someone isn't pregnant it's not a good road to go down, eating less than 1200 cals.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    Im not sure why you feel the need to vent?? Why does what somebody else eats affect you in any way?? Surely the only food intake you need to be concerned about is your own?? Unless that person has specifically asked for your help. Surely we all have the right to choose what and how we eat:ohwell:
  • DMV_Spicegirl
    Options
    Agreed
  • daxazo
    daxazo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you're on a low carb diet, some days it's hard to get all of your calories in. There are days I'm just not that hungry, and I'm not going to stuff myself with meat and butter or eat a pound of cauliflower to get it all in. But I agree that it's not healthy to do every day on purpose. There are just some days our bodies don't require as much food as the other days. Just my opinion :)
  • helengohlke
    helengohlke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I try to eat 1200 and I think I do, but after entering my food it is under. Not hungry either. What am I to do? I wish I fully understood what my body needs to lose weight properly without having to go to a dietician.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options

You're pregnant... If someone isn't pregnant it's not a good road to go down, eating less than 1200 cals.

I agree. But if you're pregnant and struggling to get enough nutrients for your growing baby (and you!) you should maybe talk to your doctor.
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    I completely agree. I can testify to having expeienced gallstones, hair loss and loss of my period following a VLCD.
  • Momto32010
    Momto32010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why you feel the need to vent?? Why does what somebody else eats affect you in any way?? Surely the only food intake you need to be concerned about is your own?? Unless that person has specifically asked for your help. Surely we all have the right to choose what and how we eat:ohwell:

^This
  • Ashleyyyb93
    Options
    I really struggle to consume my recommended daily intake of 2000 in order to maintain. I barely ever make 1,000, let alone 1,200.

I have reasons behind it and I know others do too...but at least we are on here trying to make a difference. I am sure someone who is genuinely struggling wouldn't like to read this.

I didn't consume under 1,200 because I wanted to be skinny or I wanted the weight to fall off at all. I just found it hard to eat.
    So I am sorry if people like me annoy you...but actually the problem lies far deeper than just how many calories I consume.

xx
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ this