Looking for friends who have beat the dreaded plateau!

Options
2»

Replies

• nursesharon99
    nursesharon99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please Help!!! I am at a the dreaded plateau and I have about 40 more pounds to go in this weight loss journey. I exercise 6 days a week for an hour and half most days. I do a combination of cardio and weight training. I have recently tried increasing protein to about 100gm a day and my caloric intake is usually between 1200 and 1500. I have read alot of articles and I seem to be doing the right things but not so according to the scale. I am very disciplined so If I ever come up with the right combination for this crazy body of mine then success is in my near future....:ohwell:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Please Help!!! I am at a the dreaded plateau and I have about 40 more pounds to go in this weight loss journey. I exercise 6 days a week for an hour and half most days. I do a combination of cardio and weight training. I have recently tried increasing protein to about 100gm a day and my caloric intake is usually between 1200 and 1500. I have read alot of articles and I seem to be doing the right things but not so according to the scale. I am very disciplined so If I ever come up with the right combination for this crazy body of mine then success is in my near future....:ohwell:

How long have you been dieting and exercising?

Typically, to break a plateau, it's best to set your account to maintain for 1- 2 weeks and no exercise as well as eat higher protein to allow your body to recovery. Once you come back, set your account to a lower amount. Probably 1 lb per week would be good for you. And aim to eat 50% of your exercise calories or if you are consistent with working out, set your account to moderate active and do NOT eat exercise calories. You are probably well under eating at 1200-1500 calories based on your activity level. More than likely it's going to be 1800 +. Now if you are a nurse (based on your username), you are already lightly active. You then add in 1.5 hrs of exercise and you are moderately to very active, more likely very. But you can start at moderate and when you plateau again, you can bump it to very.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Marking for the good info, I felt as though I was heading into a plateau before the holidays, I switched to maintenance for a time and am now changing calories and exercise to avoid it. At the very least I am mixing it up as weight loss has slowed (which is expected) but challenging myself and changing to keep things moving in the right direction. Add me if you like, I log everything and am on everyday, 100+ days in a row :smile: