Low carb diets

Options

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'm highly active, aka exercise about 6 hours per week, and do heaps of walking in general. Low carb is the reason I regained all my weight back, as I was constantly hungry, tired and craving. If you are a very active person like myself, Low carbing is not a good idea.

IN SAYING THAT - I am sure it has worked for other athletic people who do Paleo etc. But purely for myself, it was a complete downfall and was very counterproductive
  • Salekdarling
    Salekdarling Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As said before from a previous poster, low carb may not work for every one, but I do know that it has worked tremendously for myself, and for my husband. My husband weighed in at 320 pounds with sleep apnea, knee problems, acid reflux and general "plumbing" issues. Myself, I weighed in at my highest, 216 pounds and have suffered from PCOS since I was 11, and weight that never came off from anything I did.

I went into the Police academy in 2010 lagging behind every one else in my class, and I got a ton of crap from my fitness instructor as to why I wasn't losing weight. Couldn't convince him for the world that I was exercising ALL THE TIME, and eating what I thought was healthy (measured out fruits, vegetables, skim milk, low carb everything, multi grain, etc). Well, after graduation, I hit a depressive slump pretty hard, and it sucked. I discovered the ketogenic diet which was suppose to help with PCOS and anxiety/depression issues via Reddit, and my husband and I decided to give it a go.

It was probably the best decision we've ever made. All together, we've lost 80 pounds since September, and still counting. All of my husband's problems are gone, and my PCOS is for the first time in my life under control, and my depression has almost disappeared. We're energetic, and not starving like we were on low calorie/moderate carbohydrate diets. Once we hit our goal weights, we're switching to a paleo/clean diet.

I'm also moderately active once again. Will be running again soon as well. I've had no problems. It's all about keeping an eye on your macros and your vitamins.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Forget peoples opinions. If you want to try it, please do. It can be a very effective tool. You will know in a week or two if it's for you.

Some of us do great on it and could absolutely care less what other people think.
  • Rodhands
    Options
    Forget peoples opinions. If you want to try it, please do. It can be a very effective tool. You will know in a week or two if it's for you.

Some of us do great on it and could absolutely care less what other people think.

Just quickly on this, you wont know "in a week or two" with the Ketogenic diet, infact you will likely be in the middle of whats coloquially termed "keto-flu" at this point. As your body is in carb-detox and so will be being very very grumpy

If you actively consider doing keto then please give yourself a month of working hard on it.

Just something to point out :)
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading this book called "Why We Get Fat and What to do About It." In the book, the author states that carbs make us fat. However, I've heard mixed reviews about low-carb diets. I was conisdering throwing out most carbs but there is no hard evidence that supports some of the authors claims. However, low carb diets are very limited on food selection.

I have ate whole grain breads and cereals while trying to change my eating habits (and have lost weight.) typically stay within the allowed amount of carbs on MFP.

Opinions on low carb diets?

Can I ask which bits you don't think are supported by hard evidence? Most of the claims in the book are supported by the references in the back, or you can search the using Google scholar if you need further evidence.

On another note, I know a lot of people in my life have done low carb before, but all they do is cut out starch and grains so are left feeling unsatisfied and fall off the wagon condemning low carb to the pile of fad diets they have tried and failed on. The point that Gary Taubes is trying to make is that you need increase your fat intake as well so that you feel satisfied.

I personally wouldn't do any other diet now that I'm doing Keto. I love it, I love the food and I love how good it makes me feel and how many health problems it will be solving for me in the future. If you honestly want to try it, and want to do it in a way that makes you excited about food I'd be more than willing to help you come up with a meal plan or point you in the right direction.
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    there are so many reasons that you need good carbs in your eating plan from fiber to energy to vitamins..I've lost 154 pounds and am muscled without dietary extremes...plus variety makes the chance of lifestyle change permanance more likely..much more
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading this book called "Why We Get Fat and What to do About It." In the book, the author states that carbs make us fat. However, I've heard mixed reviews about low-carb diets.

I enjoyed the book a few months ago. It's highly fascinating and provocative reading. The stuff on insulin resistance is captivating, but he generalizes on carbs. Not all carbs are bad (there are simple and there are complex; slow, not low). Yes, we do need (the good) fat, but not as much as he thinks.

Michael Pollan wrote in his In Defense of Food that "Taubes is so single-minded in his demonization of of the carbohydrate that he overlooks several other possible explanations for the deleterious effects of the Western diet, including deficiencies of omega-3s and micronutrients in plants.”

Joel Fuhrman, "On a high protein diet, when we restrict carbohydrates so markedly, the body thinks we are caloric deprived and ketosis results. The body begins to lose fat, even if we are consuming plenty of high-fat foods, as Atkins recommends. Once you stop the diet, you'll gain it all back and more; if you stay on the diet, you risk a premature death. Take your pick."
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    I believe Gary is specifically talking about refined carbohydrates in this book. He is not talking about vegetables and fruits and also other starches like sweet potatoes. I also believe it depends on your goals and your body. If you're lean, by all means eat more carbs. However, if you have fat to lose, lower them and monitor how you feel (hunger, energy levels, cravings) then adjust again. Don't be afraid to become your own chemistry experiment. This is how we learn. :)
  • Rix06
    Rix06 Posts: 25
    Options
    I believe Gary is specifically talking about refined carbohydrates in this book. He is not talking about vegetables and fruits and also other starches like sweet potatoes. I also believe it depends on your goals and your body. If you're lean, by all means eat more carbs. However, if you have fat to lose, lower them and monitor how you feel (hunger, energy levels, cravings) then adjust again. Don't be afraid to become your own chemistry experiment. This is how we learn. :)

Word!
  • lexusmarie21
    lexusmarie21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    According to Bob Harper of the Biggest Loser you shouldn't cut out all carbs. You should eat complex carbs and limit them to breakfast and lunch. No carbs after lunch.
  • JordanElizabeth87
    Options
    I just finished reading this book called "Why We Get Fat and What to do About It." In the book, the author states that carbs make us fat. However, I've heard mixed reviews about low-carb diets. I was conisdering throwing out most carbs but there is no hard evidence that supports some of the authors claims. However, low carb diets are very limited on food selection.

I have ate whole grain breads and cereals while trying to change my eating habits (and have lost weight.) typically stay within the allowed amount of carbs on MFP.

Can I ask which bits you don't think are supported by hard evidence? Most of the claims in the book are supported by the references in the back, or you can search the using Google scholar if you need further evidence.

On another note, I know a lot of people in my life have done low carb before, but all they do is cut out starch and grains so are left feeling unsatisfied and fall off the wagon condemning low carb to the pile of fad diets they have tried and failed on. The point that Gary Taubes is trying to make is that you need increase your fat intake as well so that you feel satisfied.

I personally wouldn't do any other diet now that I'm doing Keto. I love it, I love the food and I love how good it makes me feel and how many health problems it will be solving for me in the future. If you honestly want to try it, and want to do it in a way that makes you excited about food I'd be more than willing to help you come up with a meal plan or point you in the right direction.

I want to change my eating habits, not be on a "diet." I'm worried about if I cut carbs and then add them back, I will gain all the weight back. Food seems so limited on the lower carb diet
  • JordanElizabeth87
    Options

I have lot weight before eating whole grain breads, fruit, and vegetables. He does generalize quite a bit in this book.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I also just read a book called "Green Eggs and Ham" and I'm really considering cutting green eggs and ham from my diet entirely. Not only does it slow my weight loss but it attracts foxes, mice and other such characters into my house. Plus one time I binged on them and woke up in a box with some weird dude named Sam. Hope this info helps somebody!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    hmm,.,, carbs are your fuel,,, i am a high cardio girl,,,,,, i like to do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day,,, i need that fuel!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    According to Bob Harper of the Biggest Loser you shouldn't cut out all carbs. You should eat complex carbs and limit them to breakfast and lunch. No carbs after lunch.

Bob Harper is a shill for Quaker.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Cutting down on processed foods has helped me. Cutting down on starches and sugars has helped me to control my appetite. It has worked well for me. However I do realize that losing weight is about calorie consumption. Eating less calories than I burn has helped me to lose weight. I don't think carbs are bad for you. I get carbs mostly from fruits and vegetables. I don't think sugars and starches are bad unless you eat too many and go over your calorie allowances for the day. I realize lowering carbs would not work for everybody but I am glad it has helped me.
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump 4 later
  • Livdoesketo
    Options
    Sorry I only just saw this reply, so this information might be completely useless to you. I think the important thing with low carb diets/lifestyle changes it to make sure you don't limit yourself by saying "I can't eat any food!". Want to make a cake? Use a combination of almond meal and coconut flour, want a burger? make oopsie bread or make a paleo loaf with flaxseed meal. You'd have to decide just how strict to be, I'm a ketoer so I keep my carbs under 20g each day, eat a normal amount of protein and fill up the rest of my calories with fats like mayo, cheese, keeping the skin on chicken, cooking in butter. At no point do I feel like I'm starving hungry or limiting myself. There are a whole host of veggies you can eat with 20g a day, and even a few berries you just have to check your amounts. Essentially what I've do is eat what I would normally eat- so a chicken breast wrapped in bacon, instead of the mash I'd have mashed cauliflower. If I make spaghetti bolognese I would have a bowl of broccoli and spinach instead of the pasta. If you want any more meal ideas feel free to pm me!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Question for everyone here: What do you consider 'low carb' ? I see a few of you mentioning under 20g a day, which seems fairly incredible from my perspective (I'm trying, and mostly failing, to hit around the 70-80g/day mark) 90g seems to be my sustainable average, having cut out bread/grains/potatoes etc temporarily to see if I can break a long plateau, and this seems low to me - what is the general definition of 'low carb'?
  • Livdoesketo
    Options
    Question for everyone here: What do you consider 'low carb' ? I see a few of you mentioning under 20g a day, which seems fairly incredible from my perspective (I'm trying, and mostly failing, to hit around the 70-80g/day mark) 90g seems to be my sustainable average, having cut out bread/grains/potatoes etc temporarily to see if I can break a long plateau, and this seems low to me - what is the general definition of 'low carb'?

A low carb diet is generally defined as one that is less than 100g a day. If you see 20g a day people are generally going to be following a ketogenic diet (which I do), which limits carbs and forces your body into a state which uses fat as the primary fuel. Keto can be a bit rough for a week or so until your body gets adapted, but after that you will find you have more energy, aren't as hungry and can do more vigorous exercise without hitting "the wall" than before.