waking up too tired to workout?

Options
Anyone else have this prob ? i go to bed early yet wake up shattered needing my workout time to be extra sleeping time!! then i get frustrated with myself !

Replies

• Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    How many hours of sleep are you getting? Try this calculator : http://sleepyti.me/
    I feel more refreshed when I follow it.

And it's almost more important to get sleep than exercise (although neither of these should be skipped, exercising when exhausted won't do you much good.) Perhaps you need a program like 30dayshred that's short and definitely not sweet to make more time for other things and sleeping.
  • sMCmason
    sMCmason Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is a tough catch-22. The only way to have more energy to exercise is by exercising. If you can convince yourself to just dig in and bear with it for two weeks no matter what, I think you will find that this problem has gone away. I now sleep less, but am more well rested. Higher activity levels and a better diet have greatly increased the quality of my sleep. Good luck!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    get a coffee into you and go kick *kitten*!
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You have to get up and do it. Once you get 10-15 miutes into the excercise you'll be happy you did. The first couple weeks are hard to get out of bed but then you'll be wanting it. I started by picking a workout program "Insanity" and committed to making everyday without excuses. If you have a set program to follow a calendar you will be much better. When you make up your own thing, it is always subject to change based on how you feel, and at first you will never feel like it.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have this prob ? i go to bed early yet wake up shattered needing my workout time to be extra sleeping time!! then i get frustrated with myself !
    Workout in the evening?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Workout in the evening?
    That's how I solved this problem, but I have mad props for the people who actually stick with morning workouts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How many hours of sleep are you getting? Try this calculator : http://sleepyti.me/

And it's almost more important to get sleep than exercise (although neither of these should be skipped, exercising when exhausted won't do you much good.) Perhaps you need a program like 30dayshred that's short and definitely not sweet to make more time for other things and sleeping.

Wow! By that, I should be going to bed at 8pm. That's never gonna happen. :noway:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Some people just can't do morning workouts. I'd be too tired and weak to workout in the morning. It doesn't matter when you workout as long as you get it done.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I used to. I go to bed at 8 pm so I can be at the gym at 4 am. Every night of the week, sticking to a strict routine solved the problem. More often than not I'm now awake before the alarm goes off.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    p.s. Since I switched my work outs to mornings I eat less through the day, it kills my appetite. I also noticed I make much wiser food choices, (I also contribute that to more sleep, better sleep) I feel good, I feel healthy, strong...I guess I don't want to screw that up by eating crap. When I was working out at night I think I was guilty of the "I can eat this, I'll work it off tonight at the gym"...I'd have to spend 3 hours at the gym some nights for that to work out in my favor! =)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Get more sleep and wake up with a Rockstar.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have had barely any sleep lately... Between a husband whos keeping me awake cause he cant sleep due to his nicotine tablets and my lurcher who has been waking me up at 5am & 7am to let him outside im struggling to even think straight, i also have a cold
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't matter how much sleep I got - I don't think I could ever work out first thing in the morning. I have to do it later in the day, or in the evening.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like total trash when I started getting up at 4:15am everyday. But now that I've been consistent with it, I'm sleeping a hell of a lot better, and I actually have more energy throughout the day. For me, after powering through the first few weeks I started actually feeling better. Now when I DON'T go to the gym (rest days) I sleep like crap.

Also, you could try getting a pre-workout supplement. I use Cellucor C4- does the trick for me.

[I usually go to bed around 9, up by 4:30]
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Wow! By that, I should be going to bed at 8pm. That's never gonna happen. :noway:

If you pay attention, it gives you FOUR different times to go to bed - ie. if you want to get up at 5am, you should go to bed at 8pm OR 9:30pm OR 11pm OR 12:30am. They are giving you the best times to fall asleep so that you're waking up BETWEEN sleep cycles instead of during.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

That's an interesting little calculator. I think I'll try that out and see how it works.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I workout in the AM because I simply do not have time in the evenings. As of right now, I am getting up at 5:30 and I am done by 7. I take about 10-15 mins to drink water and wake up.

I have had this routine for about 1 month now. When I first started, it was very difficult to get up at that time. However, once I got started my workout, I am wide awake within 10 minutes. The other thing is that I have WAY more energy throughout the day now. Even on the days that I do not workout.

The important thing is to workout at a time that you will do it. My "ideal" work out time for when I perform the best is when I have been awake for about 3 hours. But this just won't happen Mon-Fri ( would have to get up at 3am- not happening).

Keep at it! You will start to feel more energetic and I actually look forward to my workout days :)

The other thing- do not drink things that may upset your sleep the night before. For instance, I love a glass of wine with dinner. But if I know the next day is a workout day, I do not drink any. Coffee and other caffeinated beverages can disrupt your sleep as well. If possible, try to sleep in a distraction free environment (like no TV).
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options

That little calculator is super cool. I love that it plans around REM cycles. When you wake up during stage 4 sleep, you feel groggy and have no idea where you are (brain waves are almost comatose... This is when the alarm clock goes off for 15 minutes before you even hear it). But at the end of a REM cycle your body is already on its way out of sleep (the brain waves are closest to that of actual consciousness... AKA this is when sleep talking/walking occurs).

Going to give it a try... I usually knock down a 5g melatonin pill for a couple of nights when I need to adjust to a new schedule.