tobacco

when I try to quit I long for it and become a raging beast

I feel like Ijust CANT
when I know that is just negative

What did you do to quit?
How did you deal with stressors?
I work in Prison with Inmates so my stress is pretty high
DAILY
OH, I cant do chantix, tried it once it made me sick and gave me nightmares.

If you have a motivational quiting story I would love to hear it becuase I am feeling pretty low right now.

Replies

• jamaicasunshine
    jamaicasunshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up if you "fail" but always try again! You can do it! They have many different products out there to help you quit! Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you need help choosing :)

I just celebrated my 4 year Smoke Free on New Years Eve! I'm not going to lie, it is a hard battle! I was fine a lot more often then I thought I would but the cravings were bad sometimes. For me I started exercising and would take out my frustration there! Obviously you can't just run to the gym every time you need a smoke but I found the more I exercised regularly my body felt good and somehow it made me want one less and less each time. I always would take a short walk, even just around my house for 10 mins and that would usually work, and drink down an 8oz glass of ice water. I tried my best not to snack, but it does happen so don't beat yourself up about that either! :) I also tried to do things to keep my hands busy...puzzles, knitting, paint nails often, crafts...anything to keep you busy! There are so many different kinds of flavored gum (not nicorette) so get a few different ones and they help with cravings etc as well.

Hope this information is helpful to you! i know you can do it! Good luck!
    Beverlee
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't have personal experience as I've never smoked, but my husband did for years. He gave up when I was pregnant with our first child, so obviously that was a big motivating factor! He used those electric cigarettes.

My BIL and his girlfriend also gave up last year using the same things.

Good luck, I hope you do manage to quit.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You will quit when you are ready. You are ready when you are willing to do whatever it takes to quit. You simply may not be ready yet.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I took myself out of my home and work environment for 9 days I stayed with a non smoking friend and went cold turkey
    it worked for me
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I exercised and used patches.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey each time...lol I can still remember my first cigarette at age 12 snuck from my grandmother's pack hiding under the porch with my cousin. I smoked from that day on till I got pregnant at 21. I quit pregnant ( good incentive ) and didn't pick it back up again until I was going through my divorce ( 6 years later ). I quit for the final time September 1, 2010. Again cold turkey. My husband and my children didn't want to see me die an early death due to smoking. The first 6 months were honestly the hardest. I had to give up the things that triggered my desire. No more nights drinking. No more early morning coffee ( I still drank coffee but on the go ), paper, and a smoke. I did put on 20lbs, but it was from the changing metabolism ( smoking speeds it up ). I lost that, and then some. I feel amazing though now and it's only my mid point. After a year I got to the point where the smell actually bothered me. I wasn't longing for someone to stand near me so I could get a wiff. It made me want to vomit. Once I hit the 2 year mark the things I used to associate with smoking ( like the above examples ) I began to do without feeling the need to have a cigarette in hand.
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tried many, many times, and I also loved smoking.
    You have to have it made up in your head first that that's what you are going to do, not matter how you do it. That's really the key. It's a cognitive approach.

Focus on the positive: What do you WANT? Clean lungs, good health, clean air going in and out of your lungs.
    If you focus on what you DON'T want, you will face an uphill battle. Here is an example: Don't think of a yellow school bus. What pops into your mind? Of course.

So think of your goal. Focus on it. Picture it. Make it yours!

Then you will be successful.

You may stumble. You may fall. But keep trying. It does work!

I haven't smoked it 15 years, and I used to smoke 2 packs a day. :)
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I quit last year using electronic cigarettes. Now I don't even need them.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost both of my parents in their early 60's from smoking. My mom died of emphysema and my dad of lung cancer. My mom was on oxygen for several years, had to finally quit smoking so she could use the oxygen. After years of thinking she would never be able to quit. She ended up in the hospital on a respirator for 4 months. It was a horrible death. Her grandson was only 2 and doesn't remember her. My dad went through chemo and all that for 2 years. Stage 4 lung cancer. To me, smoking has destroyed my family. Quit before it is too late.
  • GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can only quit when you are ready and it is right for you. Not for someone else. not to do it as quitting buddies, not because it is the right thing to do. I smoked for 34 years, and I quit twice during that time. Four months ago was my time though. I armed myself as well as I could (I had prescription Wellbutrin, nicotine lozenges, and a stop smoking cleanse product...along with lots of gum and small healthy snacks) and I got up one morning and did not have a cigarette. I have thought about smoking more in the last four months than I ever did before. But, before I didn't have to think about it, I just lit up. It's gotten a little easier. AI did indeed gain weight - although I think that was more because I shoved everything I could find into my mouth than because of a physiological change. I also kept logging my food. I am accountable for me. it was my time. I hope it is your time and I wish you luck.
  • buddysmom35
    buddysmom35 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    When I was quitting I used http://www.becomeanex.org/. Its a smokers info / support site much like the way MFP is. I found it to be very helpful. I've been tobacco free for 4 years now.
    Best of luck to you,
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to put too much pressure on yourself. If you decide "I'm going to quit cold turkey!" and have a slip up, you start to think "why bother, I can't do it" and before you know it you're a full on smoker again.

I used to be a smoker and I LOVED smoking. I remember thinking wistfully "I wish smoking wasn't bad for you..." so I could continue smoking for the rest of my life.

It took me a very long time to quit completely, I weaned myself off I guess you could say. At first I wanted to cut back, so I stopped smoking in the mornings, when walking down the street, waiting for a bus, etc., I would only smoke after meals, and when socializing. Then I stopped smoking after meals and would only smoke when I was drinking or when I was away someplace like at a cottage. Then I stopped smoking everytime I was drinking (i.e. wouldn't smoke after my first sip of beer as usual!) and would only smoke when I was *drunk* (this was my mid 20s keep in mind, ha ha..I make myself sound like a party animal).

Eventually the mornings after I would smoke I would notice that I felt terrible. My throat and lungs hurt, my mouth tasted foul, my hangover even felt worse. Then I started to notice that when I was smoking I really wasn't enjoying it and it would make me feel sick. This whole process was over the course of a few years and honestly it was a bit unintentional. In my mind I was ALWAYS going to be someone who smoked when they drank, but my body just said "enough". I had my last cigarette in September 2011 and haven't looked back. I don't miss it and even find it hard to believe that I used to be a regular smoker because I can't even imagine it now!

You'll get there when you're ready. Don't force it and just try to let it take its natural course if you can. Saying that I realize that that's not possible for everyone...everyone has to overcome their addictions in their own way and a gradual process might not be the best way for all. I wish you the best of luck!
  • dwood1976
    dwood1976 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 3 and a half years smoke free! :) Smoked for 17 years!
    I tried to quit a few times and was successful for a few months here and there. Then, my mom died....I didn't want that to be my fate. You have to be ready mentally. I had a 2 year old at the time and kept thinking I didn't want to leave her motherless.
    So, we set our quit date and bought the patch. The first day was awful and we did share one cigarette. The second day was better. I felt like I lost my best friend. I realized I had to mourn the loss of my best friend of 17 years. It was hard, but here I am 3 and a half years later. The first 2 months will be the hardest. I won't lie to you, I still crave, but the last time I tried to smoke a cigarette just to see, it was really disgusting! I feel better, my clothes smell better, I am healthier and I even motivated a few friends to join me in our smoke free journey!
    Now, onto the journey of weight loss for me!
    Good luck to you, You can do it!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You sound as if you don't want to quit, you gave more reasons as to why you want to continue smoking than not.

I quit cold turkey, sucked on the strongest mints I cold find and immersed myself in reading about the dangers of smoking--graphic articles on lung disease, pre-mature aging, throat cancer and all the horrible, horrible stuff smoking does to you and others. I also saved all the money I would have spent on cigarettes and after a year went on a wonderful cruise.

I did, however, gain weight, and now I'm doing something about that. One step at a time toward better health.

I joke that when I get to the age of 90, that I'm going to take up smoking again--I did enjoy the habit, but I don't think I would be able to make it to 90 if I did not quit.

The first step is wanting to quit MORE than wanting to continue...and you must want to do it for YOU. Immerse yourself in everything you can find on the dangers of smoking--with photos of all the graphic, gory details; additionally do a cost-benefit analysis of what it does to you financially as well. Above all, think long and hard about what effect you would have on your son if he had to watch you die of cancer and the fact that you might not be able to see him graduate from high school.

Make a pro-con list, when you can make the con's outnumber the pro's then you are on your way.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Cut back slowly...then sooner or later you will give up the habit IF you want to. If not you will catch lung cancer and die. :sick: <<Sarcasm
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You will quit when you are ready. You are ready when you are willing to do whatever it takes to quit. You simply may not be ready yet.

EXACTLY!