A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options
there has been a lot of bashing about people who eat 1200 calories. I thought I would post my success story about it.

I started out at 250 pounds when I began this journey which incidently I was eating the 1600-1800 calories in eating

I then began to reduce my calories and dropped to 220 pounds last January and am now to 179 pounds.

so all total so far I lost 71 pounds and none of it has been gained back at all. I keep on going down.

Replies

• islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    congrats! I hope I can keep at it. My doctor years ago told me I needed to be at 1200 calories yikes! My hardest part is when you make stuff from scratch it is hard to figure out calorie counts, so I have to wing it a lot. Hoping the 1200 pays off soon this sucks lol
  • tammytee93
    tammytee93 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!!! How long did it take you to lose the weight at just 1200 calories a day. Did you exercise? Did you eat back the calories gained from exercise?
  • tiptona21
    tiptona21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The website has a great place to build your recipe and it will tell you how many calories are in a serving along with fat, fiber, and protein (I believe those are the three). It's really easy. Just an FYI.

I also believe that 1200 calories is the way to go. I know when I eat close to how much the app has allotted for the day, I gain weight, no matter if I exercise or not. 1200 I think is a great calorie goal.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds eating 1200 calories a day.
    When you make healthy choices, sometimes it's hard to even get to 1200.. healthy food can be very low calorie and filling.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    to get me from 220ounds to 179 pounds It took me a year. last January at my nephew's wedding I weighed 220 pounds. it took me about 2 years to get from 250 to 179 pounds. but then some was my own fault of being lazy and I had a realization and got motivated. as far as eating the work out calories back I do only if the net is lower than my calorie intake. if my net is 1200 calories as well then I don't

they do have two awesome groups for those who eat 1200 calories

the 1200 calorie club

and eating 1200-1300 calories per day group..
  • fightininggirl
    Options
    make that 5 more pounds. I weighed in at 174 pounds.
  • MsPrettyAmazing
    MsPrettyAmazing Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds eating 1200 calories a day.
    When you make healthy choices, sometimes it's hard to even get to 1200.. healthy food can be very low calorie and filling.

This is very true!
  • Nesa_3
    Nesa_3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    wonderful wonderful wonderful. for myself, I do get satisfied from eating 1200 calories. with eating veggies, you can eat a lot more volume of food, be full, & still be w/in your calorie limit. i lose 2lbs a week on average from this.
  • jscheuf
    jscheuf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do you ever use the recipe builder? I store the recipes I use a lot in there and can usually get a pretty good estimate of how many calories it is.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Good to hear and congrats on your loss! Eating more, for me, has always meant weighing more. Plus, I am very comfortable with what I eat to get to 1200/day. Healthy meals, healthy snacks. If I force myself to eat more-- why would I do that???

There must be individual variations at work. Like, older women? Come on! We are not going to lose weight by eating more. Sorry. The weight packs on and eating more is not going to take it off.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    FTR, I eat over 3000 cals. Just sayin'. There's more than one way to skin a cat. And one of us will still look like this in two years. Can you guess which one?

I'm guess that you will still look the same in 2 years. I base that only on the fact that you've lost 0 of your 32lb weight loss goal and Fightininggirl has lost 71 lbs so far and losing more and more every week. Definitely feel she will look much different in 2 years. Contrats to you fightininggirl, you are an inspiration.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    there has been a lot of bashing about people who eat 1200 calories. I thought I would post my success story about it.

I started out at 250 pounds when I began this journey which incidently I was eating the 1600-1800 calories in eating

I then began to reduce my calories and dropped to 220 pounds last January and am now to 179 pounds.

so all total so far I lost 71 pounds and none of it has been gained back at all. I keep on going down.

I don't bash people who eat the calories they need, in proportion to the exercise they take in.

I eat more, in the 1600 to 1800 range and I've lost over 50 lbs by now. But I exercise nearly every day, and my job is pretty active, I would be starving hungry at 1200.

Btw, congratulations... losing that much weight is awesome. If this works for you, then go for it. As long as its nutritionally complete, that is all that matters.
  • fightininggirl
    Options
    eatng more is what got me to 250 pounds. and put me at a size 26W. thanks runmeNC very kind. I lost 5 more pounds today weighing 174 pounds. I weigh once a week also.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Great job! I also eat 1200 calories and have had much sucess. You look great!
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    :happy: Congratulations!! To all the 1200 cal. bashers, there is NO one way fits all. Be Happy, get healthy. That is the goal.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I'm close to 250. I'm 245.2 lbs right now. I am eating 2000 calories with moderate exercise five times a week. I think I'm eating too much. But I'm afraid to go down to 1200. I don't know if I can do it, Lol....I wonder if I should lower to 1600-1800 like you did? Results are SLOW right now. I started tracking since December 27. I started at 247 then went up to 251, and now back to 245.2 as of today.

Well, it's inspiring and hopeful to see someone who started around my weight lose so much and gain a lot more. If you have any advice for me, please let me know! Thanks...
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting fightininggirl x

Usually am totally satisfied with 1200 cal. Sometimes I find it hard to eat all 1200 calories because I feel so full at the end of the day. I feel healthy and I know losing it slowly is the best way. I don't want to be too thin so my goal number is not concrete. I don't want to be the person that looks like they lost too much weight or lost it too fast. :smile:
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    1200 calories threads never end well.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think that we, as individuals, need to find what works for us. I eat 2100 calories and have lost 114 pounds in 2 years. If I only ate 1200 calories, I never would have stuck with it this long. I feel that I can live the rest of my life the way I am living now. But congrats to you on your loss. It obviously has worked for you.
  • katieomalley3914
    Options
    Awesome - I am on 1200 and it is working well. Planning good nutrition within that boundary has been the best habit to get into.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!