MFP Runner's club 6/9

Good Morning All!

I kind of fell off the face of the earth this past week but I haven't missed a single run!!:happy:
So, I have been trying to increase my pace lately and have noticed that I am in the 90-95% of my MHR. Although my friend who is a Cardiologist said that was fine since I was in great physical health that I might want to try and run in the 75-85% at just a slightly elevated pace for about a week and see what happens for stamina and then do speed bursts. So ok...I did that all week. I burnt more calories, acoording to my Polar HM over less time (30- 35 min) doing this then if I ran at 7.5 mph for 40 minutes.
AMAZING!! Since I am still trying to lose weight I am going to stick with this method but for races I am of course going to push myself into the 90%. Just thought I'd let you all know what's working for me.

Gonna go run now! But inside as it's already 85 degrees here in Ohio at 8:30 AM and MUGGY!!

Good luck everyone! Have a great Monday!

Replies

• buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Good Morning All!

I kind of fell off the face of the earth this past week but I haven't missed a single run!!:happy:
    So, I have been trying to increase my pace lately and have noticed that I am in the 90-95% of my MHR. Although my friend who is a Cardiologist said that was fine since I was in great physical health that I might want to try and run in the 75-85% at just a slightly elevated pace for about a week and see what happens for stamina and then do speed bursts. So ok...I did that all week. I burnt more calories, acoording to my Polar HM over less time (30- 35 min) doing this then if I ran at 7.5 mph for 40 minutes.
    AMAZING!! Since I am still trying to lose weight I am going to stick with this method but for races I am of course going to push myself into the 90%. Just thought I'd let you all know what's working for me.

Gonna go run now! But inside as it's already 85 degrees here in Ohio at 8:30 AM and MUGGY!!

• MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Good morning! I got up Saturday morning and finished my week 4 workouts for Couch to 5K. Then I got up this morning and started week 5. So I had to run 5 min, walk 3, run 5, walk 3, run 5. Then I walked home the rest of the way. Wednesday will be run 8 minutes, walk 5, run 8, and then walk home. Friday is supposed to be run 20 minutes. Whew! It makes me tired just thinking about it, but so far, I've been able to do every workout. Here's to a great week for all of us!

It's hot and muggy in Indiana too! It was 70 degrees at 6:00 this morning. Supposed to be hot all week. Gonna have to do my running in the mornings so I don't overheat....
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Was too lazy to wake up early this morning & it's supposed to be windy (AGAIN :explode: ) this afternoon.

We'll see if I can motivate.......sad030.gif

Happy running to the rest of you! :wink:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Good Morning All!

I have been struggling with the same thing. I hate running slow but to stay close to my THR I have been doing more interval training. So I will push it up to 7,8, then 9mph for 1 minute then bring it back down and repeat as many times as I can. I get in more distance and also increase the amount of time I spend in my THR.

don'tcha just love your HRM? I feel so stupid for not having got one sooner! Thanks again MFP!

so I told you guys how much you motivated me last night to go for a run - well I went to the basement and holy crapola! the boys made such a mess down there earlier in the day that I couldn't even get to the treadmill!! So I had to get them down there with me to clean and by the time we finished that and I got dinner going, I didn't run....I am such a slug for letting "busy-ness" take control!
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    UGH I here you Kelly! I hate when I don't go into my kids bonus room for a day or two because it's always a bad surprise. The bad thing is that I am such a neat freak that I can't just shut the door and be done with it...oh no, I have to start complaining at them and dragging them both upstairs to clean the mess. That's the only way it will get done.

Today was going to be a day of rest for me but I decided to go ahead and run 2.5 miles, unfortunately that was all I had time for this morning before taking my kids to camp, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. Summer is here....:noway: There won't be too much me time for the next 3 months. I will need to just watch what I am eating in a big way and log, log, log!! That's something that I have been failing to do a lot lately and I pay for it!!!:sad:

Have a good one everybody!!