If you still choose to eat less than 1200 calories a day...

Options

Replies

• BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Wow - this one this morning too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/871157-ending-1200-calorie-bashing-respecting-your-peers
    :drinker:

*grabs bowl of popcorn*

Who wants to pull up a chair and watch with me?
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just saying, I am SO SICK AND TIRED of seeing these posts.

Yes, Some people do it unhealthy. If they bother you, bump them off your friends list. You *****ing about it isn't going to change them and SOME PEOPLE ARE ON DOCTOR CONTROLLED DIETS IN WHICH THEY EAT LESS THAN 1200. Welcome to the life of morbid obesity.

Get off your goddamn high horses already.
    You didn't read the whole post. The OP stated that unless you are under doctor supervision, it's a dangerous road to follow.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Wow - this one this morning too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/871157-ending-1200-calorie-bashing-respecting-your-peers
    :drinker:

*grabs bowl of popcorn*

Who wants to pull up a chair and watch with me?

Got my Lazy Boy all ready
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why you feel the need to vent?? Why does what somebody else eats affect you in any way?? Surely the only food intake you need to be concerned about is your own?? Unless that person has specifically asked for your help. Surely we all have the right to choose what and how we eat:ohwell:

*high five*

I worry about what I put in my mouth...and that's about it. I don't spend a single minute worried or venting about what someone else on an internet message board chooses to eat.

This...and this. Once someone else starts to play such a huge role in YOUR life (to the point you write a long post most wouldn't bother to read) you're doing too much. Concentrate on you and let those you don't approve of learn from experience. Its not hard I promise.

While I could not live on 1200 calories, I also agree that you should focus on your goals and offer advice only when solicited. People are very sensitive and don't like to hear what they should or should not be doing, even more so when what they are currently doing seems to be working. Thus, the push back and anger. However, when they slow in their weight loss and start feeling sick and tired, they would have learned from their experiences.
  • karen34684
    Options
    Wow; 227 lbs lost. that's amazing and good for you.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating healthy foods that make me feel good, I don't know how to get over 1200 calories. When I start eating gross stuff like bread, butter, jams, etc, that's when I get close to/over my goal. I know there are subs I could make to get closer on days where I've only eaten 600 or so, but they just don't make me FEEL as good as a plate of veggies. I go over sometimes, I go under sometimes, it works itself out :)
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why you feel the need to vent?? Why does what somebody else eats affect you in any way?? Surely the only food intake you need to be concerned about is your own?? Unless that person has specifically asked for your help. Surely we all have the right to choose what and how we eat:ohwell:

We do all have the choice of what to eat, BUT I think most of us joined this site with a lack of understanding of how to eat well and can stand to take some good advice. Undereating can be just as harmful as overeating. I think the OP has a right to be concerned about the fellow members of this site.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Why is it everyone seems to feel the need to tell everyone else how it IS. So much BS.

They generally include things like "ALL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS", and of course how it's going to destroy your body, hair loss, gallstones, etc, etc, etc. Oh and of course they are doomed to failure.

So here is my story. I am 6'4". At my highest I weighed 340+ pounds. When I started MEDIFAST (OMG EVIL Very LowCal DIET) I weighed 328 pounds. I ate less than 1200 calories (actually around 1000) for 9 months and lost 128 pounds. Then I did the transition (I'm in the 8th week) and lost more for a total of 134.5 pounds.

Clearly I didn't fail.

My hair didn't fall out (not even a little)

My gallbladder is fine.

I am healthier than I have been since I started college.

I don't take blood pressure medication anymore.

I don't take cholesterol medication any more.

My knees don't hurt any more. I can walk further than the kitchen without huffing and puffing.

I could go on but I think you get the point.

My doctor approved me going on Medifast. It is recommended by many doctors. There is a fairly decent body of in house and peer reviewed clinical studies showing it is safe and effective. So apparently ALL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS do not agree with you.

So maybe you ought to do what works for you. And let us do what works for us. And give it a rest already.

OK, I gotta add this.

I wasn't tired and listless. I had so much energy that when winter hit I had a hard time figuring what to do with myself.

It didn't hurt my self esteem at all. In fact, losing 135 pounds has been a great boost.

I lost 3.5 pounds per week average. I was not hungry all the time. I was hungry some times, but I ate something about every 3 hours and hunger is not a bad thing.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would actually rephrase your 1200 calorie a day statement to "an average daily calorie amount of 1200".

What matters is what you average in a week. It is ok to eat a little less one day and a little more another day. So, I'm assuming you are referring to those who chronically eat below 1200. I know it is possible to sustain a temporary diet on very low calorie and NOT feel hunger. Why? Because of food density and satiety levels of different foods. Some foods are more filling than others. If you fill your day with those foods you would end up eating a low calorie diet and NOT feel hungry. I did this back in November by eating a lot of veggies/protein sources. I could barely hit 1200. Just couldn't. Not only would I be satiated but with all that I ate I could not hit 1200. You also need to realize that people with a very low activity level and smaller people tend to have to eat way less than someone who is taller/bigger than them. For these people dieting/exercise is way much more challenging than for the person who can eat afford more leeway because their calorie needs are higher.
  • cpa6533
    cpa6533 Posts: 12
    Options
    Frankly, it creeps me out that people are stalking my diary! That's bonkers! To "private" I go!
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    *pop corn*
    :bigsmile:
  • Shanni827
    Shanni827 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people can stay under 1200cal. I have such a hard time staying close to 1200 without going way over.

It's all in what you eat...I eat healthy mostly and fall under. I don't count my calories during the day, I eat what I want to eat at the time and then if the number is low it's low. If it's a little high so be it. Eating Chicken breast, fish, veggies and fruits keeps your calories low. If I notice my body is craving something I eat it in moderation. But I'm not going to force myself to eat just to reach a number.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Yes, Some people do it unhealthy. If they bother you, bump them off your friends list. You *****ing about it isn't going to change them and SOME PEOPLE ARE ON DOCTOR CONTROLLED DIETS IN WHICH THEY EAT LESS THAN 1200. Welcome to the life of morbid obesity.

You didn't read the whole post. The OP stated that unless you are under doctor supervision, it's a dangerous road to follow.

^^^This! Thank You I was about to post the same.
  • DavidC1857
    Options

Then the OP is contradicting his own post. If ALL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS (that's a quote) say that you have to eat above 1200 calories, how can a doctor supervised diet below 1200 calories exist? Unless the doctor isn't a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL?
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    Options
    Why is it everyone seems to feel the need to tell everyone else how it IS. So much BS.

They generally include things like "ALL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS", and of course how it's going to destroy your body, hair loss, gallstones, etc, etc, etc. Oh and of course they are doomed to failure.

So here is my story. I am 6'4". At my highest I weighed 340+ pounds. When I started MEDIFAST (OMG EVIL Very LowCal DIET) I weighed 328 pounds. I ate less than 1200 calories (actually around 1000) for 9 months and lost 128 pounds. Then I did the transition (I'm in the 8th week) and lost more for a total of 134.5 pounds.

Clearly I didn't fail.

My hair didn't fall out (not even a little)

My gallbladder is fine.

I am healthier than I have been since I started college.

I don't take blood pressure medication anymore.

I don't take cholesterol medication any more.

My knees don't hurt any more. I can walk further than the kitchen without huffing and puffing.

I could go on but I think you get the point.

My doctor approved me going on Medifast. It is recommended by many doctors. There is a fairly decent body of in house and peer reviewed clinical studies showing it is safe and effective. So apparently ALL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS do not agree with you.

So maybe you ought to do what works for you. And let us do what works for us. And give it a rest already.

OK, I gotta add this.

I wasn't tired and listless. I had so much energy that when winter hit I had a hard time figuring what to do with myself.

It didn't hurt my self esteem at all. In fact, losing 135 pounds has been a great boost.

I lost 3.5 pounds per week average. I was not hungry all the time. I was hungry some times, but I ate something about every 3 hours and hunger is not a bad thing.

YOU WERE UNDER DOCTOR SUPERVISION! Actually read the original post. Op was NOT talking about those on doctor supervised VLCD!

I am glad you did well on VLCD though that isn't any proof that people should do them on their own. I was under doctor supervision and eating vlcd. I got rid of my doctor when I developed heart problems, stomach issues and slew of other proboems due to not eating enough.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Why get so wound up about someone elses food choices?
  • DavidC1857
    Options
    YOU WERE UNDER DOCTOR SUPERVISION! Actually read the original post. Op was NOT talking about those on doctor supervised VLCD!

I am glad you did well on VLCD though that isn't any proof that people should do them on their own. I was under doctor supervision and eating vlcd. I got rid of my doctor when I developed heart problems, stomach issues and slew of other proboems due to not eating enough.

NO I WASN'T.

I called him on the phone and said "Hey. I want to do Medifast. Is it OK and will it hurt me?" He said, "No, go ahead." Actually I didn't even talk to him, it was relayed through his staff. I saw him once, somewhere in the middle.

And I will reiterate. How can a DOCTOR SUPERVISED DIET under 1200 calories exist if NO MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL will recommend it? And I didn't develop heart problems, stomach problems or any other problems. So not everyone is like you. Or anyone else. And that is my point.

If someone doesn't want to do a very low cal diet, DON'T. If they do, make it healthy and do it. And if someone doesn't like what someone else is doing, tough.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You have some really good points on here but it is a shame you put it on as a vent.

It would be considered cruel to say to an overweight person what is wrong with you, you've got to be crazy shoving all that food in your mouth until you got obese. Do you not know what this does to your body etc etc

It is equally unkind to be less than encouraging to an under eater

Both of these people have eating issues, just different ones and maybe both of them are trying to address their problems by being on this site. I see loads of excuses from overweight people about why they aren't losing as well as excuses from under-eaters.

I totally do not understand how anyone can struggle to eat 1200cals but then again I don't get 5000cals a day either.

Highlighting the risks is all good in both cases but lets try to be positive!!!!!
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    Options

NO I WASN'T.

I called him on the phone and said "Hey. I want to do Medifast. Is it OK and will it hurt me?" He said, "No, go ahead." Actually I didn't even talk to him, it was relayed through his staff. I saw him once, somewhere in the middle.

And I will reiterate. How can a DOCTOR SUPERVISED DIET under 1200 calories exist if NO MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL will recommend it? And I didn't develop heart problems, stomach problems or any other problems. So not everyone is like you. Or anyone else. And that is my point.

If someone doesn't want to do a very low cal diet, DON'T. If they do, make it healthy and do it. And if someone doesn't like what someone else is doing, tough.

Wow I bow out because I see what you are doing and feel people like you are useless to talk to.