StrengthTraining Questions - Dumbbells and DVDs

Options
I would like to venture into a more intense workout in terms of strength training, but need/prefer a combo with cardio. I feel like I can push myself further than what I am experiencing with 30 Day Shred and I am kind of bored with it honestly. I still have a LOT of fat to lose. I know there's a powerhouse in there - I don't mind treadmill work, but I know that's not going to take care of my kangaroo pouch and bingo wings - LOL! And again, I get bored!

First, would love feedback on selecting dumbbells. I am loving the Bowflex SelectTech Dumbells set, but not loving the price. I would like a set that is adaptable and easy to switch weights quickly.

Second, I get bored of workouts pretty easily. Even when I see good results I want to move on to something else instead of sticking it out. I love 30 day shred but I don't lose weight - my body shape changes, I get toned, build some muscle, but I am still wiggling/jiggling like a champ. Would love suggestions on DVD workouts that combine strength training with cardio - ChaLean Extreme? ? ?

A little about myself....I have a lot of weight to lose but consider myself to have a good foundation in terms of muscle. I totally believe that weight loss comes with building muscle - I am not scared to have bigger thighs if it means there is no cottage cheese. I don't eat the best all the time, I am still learning my dietary needs, I enjoy beer and don't plan on giving that up any time soon :-) I am a realist and believe in balance and moderation - not deprivation.

Thanks in advance for your supportive feedback, I hope it will help me direct my research more specifically and find the next program for me!

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting the Chalean Extreme/Turbofire Hybrid. Have you looked at Jillian Michaels Body Revolution?
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I tried Ripped in 30 and loved it, I was a bit bored of the 30 day Shred after awhile. I also found Ripped harder! Also Jillian's No More Trouble Zones is intense I did it for the first time last night and almost cried haha.

I enjoyed Turbo Fire it's fun and lots of cardio so no hand weights are needed.

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there are loads more.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have the Bowflex Selecttech weights that I bought from Amazon a few years ago. I love them. I tried out the Powerblocks, but I didn't like them because, well...they were "blocky" and bulky. Others prefer them, though.

For at home weight training, I like Chalean Extreme or P90X. I have never tried that new one Body Beast, but if you aren't going to hit the gym with more and better equipment than just dumbbells, this might be an option as well. Chalean's cardio workouts are fairly short and can get repetitive after a couple of weeks. P90X cardio workouts are longer and boring, lol. When I worked out at home, I usually did the weights routines from the program as scheduled and then just changed up the cardio DVDs with something I liked better (I have a plethora of cardio DVDs).

I personally don't like 30 Day Shred any more than I like Les Mills Body Pump for "weight training." It's more of a cardio workout that uses light weights. They are great cardio, don't get me wrong, but not real weight lifting IMHO.
  • treetz1979
    treetz1979 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your honest feedback - this helps a lot and points me in the right direction!
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Have you considered Kettlebell? I'm doing both dumbbells 2-3 days a week and kettlebell once a week and it sounds like kettlebell might be something that interests you. Currently I'm doing the fitnessblender beginner kettlebell workout and it's still kicking my butt.