5k Registration fees

Options
13»

Replies

• McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Check to see if your town has a Patch website (http://www.patch.com/). My Patch usually advertises smaller community 5K's; lowest I've seen are around $15-25.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    The ones I do around here are all about $20, some have charities, some don't. Honestly I'd rather they be cheaper and not give t shirts because I have so many t shirts and I've never worn any of them. They're never more than that unless it's something special like Warrior Dash or Color Run (which was stupid and I wouldn't pay for again). Usually the five mile races are 20-25, then when you get into the 10Ks it's a little more, and then half marathons and marathons are more, but that's OK because it's not like I'm going to do tons of marathons in one year like I do 5ks.
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever paid more than $25 for a regular 5k .. mud runs and sprint tris are way more but worth it to me.

I just registered for a three 5k series and it was $21 for all three races and you get a $30 gift certificate for the Sneaker Factory when you run.

I would look into it more and find a cheaper one . Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The Warrior Dash was the only pricey race I've done, and that was more of an adventure and event than a race.

Most of them are between $15-25. I'll only pay more than $20 if it's a cause I feel very strongly about.

Check Facebook for local running groups. Most of the smaller races aren't advertised on national sites.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    A 5K asking for more than $25 is probably a "rip-off." The more expensive the race for such a short distance (meaning, less money spent on rest stops/water stops, course protection, etc) the more money is probably being wasted. Even charity runs can be $25-35 with most of the money going to charity. Larger races are also more likely to be less expensive, since the race organizers will be able to cover costs better with the chrages spread out over more people. Well-organized races will also have a lot of sponsors who keep the price down. I would keep looking. Good luck! It is worth it to find a race, since the race makes the training so much more worth it. :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    General tip: LivingSocial Events has a lot of race deals for half off registration fees. Just this week I saw a $40 Firefly 5K for $20 (supports the children's hospital) and a $25 Mardi Gras 5K for $12 (supports an animal shelter). Deals like that are a good way to keep your race cost down.

I got all dorkcited for 5 seconds there...
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The fees I'd pay for are for special occassions like cancer, or other diseases and such. But for some church to raise money... No not so much. No offense. I'm broke as it is. LOL
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    As far as whether it's worth it you have to consider what is your goal. I'm in Florida and have done the 5K event at Marathon weekend for the last 3 years. It's $50 generally and this year went up to $55. My employers insurance company is sponsor of event and gives us a certain number of spots so the last 2 years I've been lucky enough not to pay. I started doing the Princess 5K so I still have the out of pocket because no sponsorship there. For me it is really cool to be at Disney and with all these people. It's the experience and the fact that so far every year I have improved my time. That's the goal.

This year my daughter is doing Princess 1/2 and wants me to try a 1/2 next year....we'll see. The Princess 1/2 is $150 I think. I will have to know I can complete it because that's a lot of money!

Just for the record I just found a community in my area that does 5K's on regular basis for about $30. Much more appealing, less traffic and can still work on my time!

What is your goal? That should help you decide. :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Since we are talking registration fees, are they tax deductable?

No because you're not actually contributing to the charity and only a small proceed goes towards it. Also as someone else mentioned you're getting something for what you pay some times.

I personally wouldn't try to pass it off on my taxes. Not worth an audit.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I don't pay a lot of any 5k and I don't run them unless they are for a charity that I support. I have actually not seen any in my area that were just for profit. Every race I have looked into has always been for some charity or another.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am the race director for two local 5Ks. We do both of them for a charity cause- One is a Glow in the Dark race in October that raises money for a local family adopting. The cost last year was $20/person or 3 for $45. We stressed it as a family event. Afterward we had a fun after party at the amphitheater at the park and had a local band playing music with lots of prizes. We raised $4000. We didn't anticipate as many people as showed, so it wasn't as profitable as if we had enough sponsors.

The next race we are doing is a Super Hero Dash. It is $20/person until two weeks before-then we bump it to $25. Teams can be generated for 4/$75 and then $90 two weeks before. The after party will be centered around family activities at the park.

There isn't a lot of swag- we will give a t-shirt and we are toying with the idea of a bag.

I think if you look to some of the smaller races you can find affordable races that provide a lot of fun and go to a good cause. It costs at least $10/person to put on the race. That was our cost last year and we didn't pay for manpower. This year I am being paid and we hired an intern to help me with one. Of course my company is eating the cost to pay me, but if it came out of race funds it would quickly take a chunk out of the profit.

All this to say...there's a lot that goes into races. If you just want to run with some friends and score a shirt- there are tons that go for $20-$25. If you want a big deal--it costs a ton to put on. Truthfully--the sponsorship is where the profit is at.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would have a hard time spending more than ~$40 to register for a 5k. I do spend usually somewhere around $100 for half marathons and for the one full that I've registered for. I do try to sign up early and I do look for coupon codes to bring the cost down.

One of the half marathons I did was the Rock N Roll Half in San Jose - now, I hated the actual race because I was just TOO HOT, but the race organization was superb. I actually didn't really care about the bands along the way (they just made it harder to hear my own music!), but I did appreciate all the cheerleading squads that came out, there were tons of volunteers handing out water, etc., and the after-race festivities were great. After crossing the finish line, I felt like I was still in the secured area at an airport because the runners all got to follow the swag path and we got TONS of goodies post-race. Lots of fruit, drinks, snacks, etc. The sponsors really stepped up. Then they had a well organized meet-up area to find friends/family and they had a big stage with someone I'd actually heard of performing. They put on a great event, I can see why the reg fees were so high (the medal was cool and the shirt was nice too). I don't drink beer, so I always give my post-race beer to my husband :-).
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I wasn't sure about posting this but now I'm very glad that I did! Your comments are invaluable!

Savlyon, I appreciate your post coming from the other side of the event to explain cost.

I guess I had not thought about the differences between road 5ks and mud runs either. The mud runs were many of the ones that were getting near they higher end. Many of you explained why these tend to be higher in cost, which I had not considered. I feel a little silly, but like they say, they only stupid question is the one unasked.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Since we are talking registration fees, are they tax deductable?

No because you're not actually contributing to the charity and only a small proceed goes towards it. Also as someone else mentioned you're getting something for what you pay some times.

I personally wouldn't try to pass it off on my taxes. Not worth an audit.

I run a race that gives you a statement that says: This much went to your shirt and race overhead. This much went to the charity, you can deduct that amount from your taxes.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a 10k recently and because I did it 6 months+ in advance I got a 50% discount.
    I spent $30 for 10K going to charity.