Water Intake?

Options
Should Everyone drink the same amount of water I am fairly small and have a hard time drinking 1 gallon of water and if I do getit down I feel bloated and uncomfortable.

I spoke with a trainer because I hit a plateau and he said I need to eat 6 times a day (clean diet of course) and drink a gallon of water.

Whats you thoughts or experience with water intake???

Thanks Pals

Replies

• fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Even if you feel a little uncomfortable at the time, it's still worth it. You need water to function so yes, definitely drink that one gallon no matter what it takes. Split it up through out the day (:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There's no real reason to drink water beyond your level of thirst. However, having a daily goal is helpful to most people, because people tend to forget to drink enough when they get busy.

I think something like 2 liters would be plenty, especially if you're drinking other fluids.

This gallon of water advice, along with "6 meals a day" and "clean diet" leads be to believe that you need to find a trainer that knows what he or she is talking about.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Nope, it depends from your weight as well. Common formula for estimate is to take your body weight in pounds and divide that in half. That will give you ounces of water you need to drink a day to keep you hydrated. So that is 6 - 8 glasses of water a day on average. If you exercise and sweat a lot add like 3 more glasses. That's like common formula. :)
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your weight. Everyone should drink 8 cups a day... but, more than that depends on different things. I try to get 80 or so ounces a day... sometimes a lot more.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whats you thoughts or experience with water intake???

My thoughts are:

If your urine is pale to clear, you don't need to worry about it from a health perspective.
    If you track it, track all liquids that don't contain alcohol. (though even beer can hydrate you)
    Drinking so much water that you feel bloated or ill is ridiculous.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    8 cups of water a day has actually been proven to be too much in some cases. Drink when you're thirsty. People neglect the fact that most food we eat contains lots of water as well. Food hydrates too.

I drink 8+ cups a day but thats because I always have my bottle with me and I just really like water, it's all I drink. But telling anyone to drink a gallon or two liters or whatever a day, if they're not even thirsty for it, is excessive and unnecessary.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There is no science to support that you need X amount of water per day based on weight or anything else. Most people get plenty of liquid out of the food they eat which can easily be supplemented by drinking when you are thirsty.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    A gallon of water sounds like a lot to feel like you have to do. Especially if it makes you uncomfortable... If you're going to try for it, definitely break it up over the day, like fueledbychange said.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    a gallon is probably appropriate if you spend a lot of time in the sun, doing athletic stuff.
  • teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pals for your thoughts, I have since dropped my water intake and the amount of food I was eating it was just way too much for ME! I have 4-5 small meals a day and I drink about 50oz of water a day and I have started losing weight again.

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge

You guys ROCK!
  • tish1951
    tish1951 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wonder about the water and perhaps someone will have the answer for me. Although I am new to this site and probably won't be able to find where people may have replied to me. Question, does it have to be water or can it be any liquid? I can't get in that much plain water but I do have probably 16 oz of water a day, 16 oz of coffee, 8-10 oz tea, and usually a can of diet soda. Just wondering. Thanks I hope I find your responses. OMG I may have to change my picture if I can find one.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

This gallon of water advice, along with "6 meals a day" and "clean diet" leads be to believe that you need to find a trainer that knows what he or she is talking about.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I wonder about the water and perhaps someone will have the answer for me. Although I am new to this site and probably won't be able to find where people may have replied to me. Question, does it have to be water or can it be any liquid? I can't get in that much plain water but I do have probably 16 oz of water a day, 16 oz of coffee, 8-10 oz tea, and usually a can of diet soda. Just wondering. Thanks I hope I find your responses. OMG I may have to change my picture if I can find one.

I drink a lot of coffee, diet soda, and sugar Free Rockstars on most given days in addition to usually 8 16.9 oz water bottles and have had no problems.