30 Day Shred, extra cardio?

Options
Hi, all, I'm 47 and need to lose about 12 pounds. As you know, around this age it's extra hard to lose that weight! I am half way through 30 day shred, and I do feel a difference (and see a difference), although I have not lost weight, which is a bummer. Has anybody done the 30 day shred with another dvd that was solely cardio? I just purchased Breathless Body by Amy Dixon... has anybody had success with that video? It's pretty rigorous! Would love to hear your comments!

Replies

• prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i think you just answered your own question! if you see a difference and feel a difference, thats a good thing. i wouldn't worry about 12 lbs. the important thing is that you are turning 12 lbs of fat into 12 lbs of muscle. you will look 12 lbs lighter ;) i just got the video and gonna start today. stick throught the last half.....and maybe go to another lever up if its too easy or boring for you. great job though!
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi...I'm 53 and I finished day 7 of level 1 this morning. I've been a runner for many years, so I always hop on the treadmill for a run for 30 minutes, then I start the Shred DVD. I like doing the extra cardio each day. Even though I'm only on day 7, I am seeing results even though I gained 3 pounds the first week. I'll get back on the scale on Friday.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I usually did an extra 30 minutes on the eliptical - I didn't lose barely anything until the last circuit then about 10 pounds came off.
  • annafive
    Options
    thanks! I also feel an energy boost, so I am thankful for that alone (although I crash at the end of the day). Lately I have been suffering from that peri-menopausal thing, extra bloating and sluggish. This is definitely helping with that. I also have been cutting out gluten, wheat and watching what I eat. Muscle instead of fat is always a good thing!
  • hp5400
    hp5400 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Annafive. I am also halfway through the 30 day shred, just started mfp this month, and am of a similar age. I also have not lost weight- in fact I gained back the 2 I lost before starting 30ds! seriously bummed about that, but I am determined to finish out the month.
    I have gained some stamina and strength, and possibly lost some inches (hard to tell with my sloppy measuring) due to 30ds. I am going to add some time on the elliptical back in and maybe walk more- and see if that number on the scale moves at all in the next 2 weeks! Good luck to you!
  • Jday71
    Jday71 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am startng day 3 of level 3. I do extra cardio on at least 4 of the days as I go to my regular spin classes, zumba , and eliptical machine. I have lost inches and a couple of pounds. Keep at it.
  • annafive
    Options
    Hi, hp5400, maybe we can compare notes as we go along? Don't despair about the 2 pounds, just think how good this is for your heart! I think in two days I will start the HIIT (High Intensity Training) with that Breathless Body DVD. I know that I have to work a little harder at fitness, due to my age and hormonal stuff. Sigh.
  • annafive
    Options
    that's great, Jday! :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I used 30DS in the past when I was absolutely jammed for time and it was better to do something for 30 min than nothing. It only burns about 140 cals for me so since your deficit is not as high as you'd like it to be, actual lbs don't fly off like tonnes of cardio but you will strengthen hence why you'll notice more of a change in inches than lbs.
  • georgesweeten
    Options
    When i did 30DS i incorporated it with running every other day, i found it helped a lot. be careful not to overdo it though
  • yummymummy65
    yummymummy65 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi, all, I'm 47 and need to lose about 12 pounds. As you know, around this age it's extra hard to lose that weight! I am half way through 30 day shred, and I do feel a difference (and see a difference), although I have not lost weight, which is a bummer. Has anybody done the 30 day shred with another dvd that was solely cardio? I just purchased Breathless Body by Amy Dixon... has anybody had success with that video? It's pretty rigorous! Would love to hear your comments!

Hi Annafive. I too am 47. I don't need to lose weight per se.... but have a goal to tighten up and get some definition in my body. I haven't tried the 30 day Shred but am currently doing on Ripped in 30. It's a similar 3-2-1 method but I find the workout a little on the short side. To get more out of the workout, I add additional weight training into the workout. I start the video to warm up, then pause it so that I can get my weight training in (back and chest one day, legs one day and arms / abs one day). Once I'm done my weights, I continue with the video. I use the video solely for cardio (with the added weight training as a bonus). Twice a week, I'll add 45 minutes of low impact cardio to help burn extra fat. This is how I do my Jillian Michaels workout video. Hope this helps.
  • miiint
    miiint Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked this! Im on Day 6 of Level 1 of the 30DS and I usually do about 30minutes on the elliptical following it...So far I feel like Ive gotten bigger if anything but judging by mfp reviews that seems to happen,, if anyones got any advice for this, let me know!
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i think you just answered your own question! if you see a difference and feel a difference, thats a good thing. i wouldn't worry about 12 lbs. the important thing is that you are turning 12 lbs of fat into 12 lbs of muscle. you will look 12 lbs lighter ;) i just got the video and gonna start today. stick throught the last half.....and maybe go to another lever up if its too easy or boring for you. great job though!

Unfortunately you won't add 12lb muscle from 30ds but you should be able to see a difference afterwards, and also you'll be getting healthier. Good luck, hope you reach your goals :-)

ps, ripped in 30, another Jillian dvd is harder than 30ds (from what I remember - might be wrong on that) so you can always do that one after if you feel you need more of a challenge!
  • ore1908
    ore1908 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am starting 30 day shred - level 1 tonight, how do I track this in my exercise area?
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am starting 30 day shred - level 1 tonight, how do I track this in my exercise area?

Most people track it as circuit training :)
  • crystalelizabeth87
    Options
    I just started the 30 day shred today and i tracked it as circuit training - general
  • ore1908
    ore1908 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • crystalelizabeth87
    Options
    since this is my first day starting the 30 day shred, can anyone answer this for me. I am using it via youtube, i have started with level one, is there a different workout for everyday for level one? or just the same workout each day? i want to make sure i am doing this correct.
  • annafive
    Options
    It is the same workout everyday for Level 1, then after ten days, it's a different workout for level 2 (for 10 days), and then yet another workout for level 3 (for 10 days)
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'm a 44 year old female,level one,day 9.I do leslie sansones 4 mile dvd and some extra weights.I've lost 3lbs and about an inch off my waist. I definatley felt the need for extra cardio.@crystalelizab-It was designed to do each level for 10 days but if you feel ready to move on sooner thats fine too.:smile: