What is a sensible amount of weight to lose per week?

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I have always tended to lose weight in chunks. I will lose 4 pounds one week, lose nothing the next, than the week after that lose 5 pounds. It just depends. I like to see a loss every week, but now I make myself go by how my clothing fits and how my face is slimming down. gotta count every NSV!

Me too. But either way it has definitely gotten harder the closer I get to goal. To the point where I am rushing to lose 10 more and then the other 8-10 or whatever can just come off slow as it wants.

I just want to hit 129 before the weather heats up because once it does I'll be lucky to get half the exercise I'm getting now. And since I no longer lose even an ounce without exercise, I worry!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    One more thing......

Weight loss is seldom consistant. Don't be impatient if you go a while without seeing weight loss. Remember to AVERAGE IT OUT over time...say at least two to three months.

Good luck!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Remember, it is a JOURNEY and a LIFESTYLE that you are pursuing.

That being said, you can, for the first few weeks, drop 3 - 5 pounds per week. However, for a sustained effort, .5% of your body weight is all you should lose. Much more than that and your body will begin to revolt and fight you, not help you.

Build good eating (fuel) and exercise habits. U tools like MFP and a HRM. Set short, intemediate adn long term goals. Write them down, share them with friends, cut out pictures and post them in your office for you to see and be motivated by. You will achieve your goals long term.

Weight is just a 'number'. Fitness is a 'feeling'. Focus on the fitness and the weight will follow. Honestly, if you look great and feel great and are living a healthy lifestyle, who cares what you weigh??? I don't use a scale anymore. I use the mirror, my wife and my blue jeans!

Good luck.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    What I would like to know is how are the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" able to lose pounds in the double digits in a week?

Why would the show allow them to lose an insane amount of weight every week? Seems like they should have a slew of medical professionals advising them against such rapid weight loss.
  • Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to gain your excess pounds? So in theory it should take the same amount of time to loose the excess weight. God luck on your weight loss journey.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to gain your excess pounds? So in theory it should take the same amount of time to loose the excess weight. God luck on your weight loss journey.

Ha! I wish. I gain much faster than I lose. Most of the weight I gained I put on in less than six months.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What I would like to know is how are the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" able to lose pounds in the double digits in a week?

Why would the show allow them to lose an insane amount of weight every week? Seems like they should have a slew of medical professionals advising them against such rapid weight loss.

Wouldn't be a very good or dramatic show then would it? It's a reality show, everything is fake. They dehydrate themselves for the weigh-ins, they are doing hours of exercise a day and the "week" between weigh-ins are not real, in reality it's 2+ weeks.

Read this: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

Pro-tip: don't follow anything on the biggest loser.
  • misssmarita
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Of course I'd want this weight off me NOW, or at least as quickly as possible, but my main focus is really making healthy choices. If I'm doing that, I feel like the lbs lost per week becomes less important.
  • TOMEKA18
    TOMEKA18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No more than 2 pounds.
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says 1 - 2 lbs, and definitely not more. Do you think that 1% a week is ok? For example, if you weight 200 lbs, having a goal of 2 lbs a week? I know 2 lbs is as high as MFP will let you set your goal, but if you were fairly consistent and made some pretty good food and exercise choices, you could lose more than 2 lbs a week if you started out at like 500 lbs. What do you guys think?And what is a normal week for you, weight loss wise?

I have been losing 2 lbs per week but have been busting my butt to do it :)
  • TOMEKA18
    TOMEKA18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, I think one of the Biggest Loser contestants say the work out schedule is 3-4 hours a day...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Ha! I wish. I gain much faster than I lose. Most of the weight I gained I put on in less than six months.

No kidding. If that was true, I should have lost 100% of me by now and/or weigh a negative number.

Anyway, I saw somewhere on the interwebs (so it must be true lol) that a reasonable rate of loss is .5%-1% of your total body weight per week. I don't have a lick of scientific evidence to support that and I honestly don't even remember where I read it, but it seemed very reasonable to me and I've used that as a guideline. I have averaged around .75% per week (sometimes more, sometimes less).
  • theresalizotte
    Options
    I think 2lbs is a good number that is 8 lbs a month.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're starting at 278- are you looking for someone to say it's ok to aim for closer to 3 lbs a week as a goal?

I would not advise it, it would require a 1500 calorie deficit, and with that you're risking metabolic damage. Damage your metabolism, and the whole process will be more difficult. If you stick to the recommendations for a safe weight loss plan, as laid out by PSUlemon, the whole rest of your weight will come off easier. It's much better to plan from the beginning to be successful than to try to push the limits and deal with the consequences as they arise. Consequences to metabolic damage include plateaus and generally some weight gain to repair. In reality, most bigger people will drop more weight than 2 lbs on a 2 lb plan from water in the beginning anyway.
  • 134Sally
    Options
    Moses from season 11 of The Biggest Loser is a trainer at my gym. He said the women on the show were eating about 800 calories a day and exercising 8-9 hours a day. Thus the huge losses per week. Definitely a "don't try this at home" warning applies.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Wouldn't be a very good or dramatic show then would it? It's a reality show, everything is fake. They dehydrate themselves for the weigh-ins, they are doing hours of exercise a day and the "week" between weigh-ins are not real, in reality it's 2+ weeks.

Read this: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

QFT. EVERYONE should read this link. It's mind blowing what they do on TBL to make for good TV.
  • purplecharm
    Options

Wow! I guess I underestimated how fake the "reality" shows are. Thanks for the link. i am truly disgusted by the tactics the shows uses all for the sake of drama.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, I think one of the Biggest Loser contestants say the work out schedule is 3-4 hours a day...

That is crazy and irresponsible of the show to present a false reality when it comes to weight loss.
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    They do keep saying that this sort of progress isn't realistic outside of the biggest loser ranch etc.

That being said, I typically "work out" about 2-3 hours a day.

Most weeks are 16-20 hours. Instead of watching tv, I go to the gym, pool, or go bike.

It's not doable for most people, but at the same time, not completely outside the realm of possibility when you don't have a job or kids etc. to look after on the ranch while also having access to the trained medical personnel to ensure everything is going properly.

I do work full time and have kids too :p Scheduling can be a problem at times.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Moses from season 11 of The Biggest Loser is a trainer at my gym. He said the women on the show were eating about 800 calories a day and exercising 8-9 hours a day. Thus the huge losses per week. Definitely a "don't try this at home" warning applies.

That's crazy!!! Wow. I mean, I knew I didn't agree with all the tactics they use (way too much "dietary-fat-hating"), but daaaang. That's not good. That's setting people up for eating disorders. Yikes. No wonder they're all throwing up and passing out in the first week.

I watch it for the emotional aspects--the struggles, the epiphanies, etc--because I can relate to a lot of their stories. But this is starting to make me rethink supporting a show that does that...