YOGA

Options
I am new to this site, i am new to the whole diet and exercise thing all together. I recently had a friend loose 60 lbs by changing his diet and doing Yoga. SO i bought a yoga DVD. I plan on starting it tonight. As someone who isn't even sure what "downward facing dog" (i think that's what it's called) is, i am excited, yet nervous and kinda feeling clueless. Any advice? Tips? Suggestions? :)

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great. Is there any way you can get to a class with an instructor a few times first though? There is a lot to say about getting proper form, which is difficult to do from a DVD in my opinion.

If not, take it slow, don't be afraid to hit pause and study the instructor before attempting, and if it hurts, then STOP because something isn't right.

Good luck :-)
  • wannabeloser08
    Options
    Thank you! It is hard for me to get to a class during the week so i bought the DVD. Perhaps i should try to go to one this weekend. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • ctperdant
    Options
    A class helps a lot to get started. A good teacher will show you how to modify the poses for your fitness level and any physical conditions. But once you get the hang of it it's not hard to do at home. Good luck!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    As long as it's a beginner DVD you should be alright. That's how I learned it. I also looked up poses on Yoga web sites and purchased a couple of books because I like to know what I'm getting myself into and that I'm doing it right. Yoga is not about how far you can bend (that will come in time) but about doing the poses CORRECTLY and making sure you breathe and learn to move with your breath. Each pose serves a specific purpose and benefits different parts of your body (internal and musculoskeletal). Hopefully the DVD you purchased has a knowledgeable instructor who will guide you properly. Never be afraid to seek verification or further information though. You have the internet at your disposal after all.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope if you can't do everything! Keep it up, you'll get there. LOVE yoga, so relaxing :)

Na maste :)
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great. Is there any way you can get to a class with an instructor a few times first though? There is a lot to say about getting proper form, which is difficult to do from a DVD in my opinion.

If not, take it slow, don't be afraid to hit pause and study the instructor before attempting, and if it hurts, then STOP because something isn't right.

Good luck :-)

agreed! i have been practicing yoga for years, and definitely feel its important to start with an instructor, even just a few classes. to this day, i prefer practicing in a class setting--i get more challenged and motivated :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Yoga community - you are going to love the journey :flowerforyou:

There is a Yoga Group on My Fitness Pal - go to Groups and type in the search bar, "Generic Yoga group".

Lots of friendly people there and loads of information and support.

Namaste
    Carl
  • wannabeloser08
    Options
    Update: So i popped in my yoga dvd last night, rolled out my yoga mat super stoked to get started....... womp womp. FAIL. I definitely think i need to go to an actual class OR purchase a new DVD. The one i have just went straight into it and it was kinda hard for me keep up. SO that being said, i will look into other DVD'S and some weekend classes. Thanks for all the help guys! :)