The Most Accurate Method of Calculating TDEE?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use my Body Media Link armband to calculate my TDEE. The online calculators aren't even close to what I get by measuring.

Does it measure your TDEE higher or lower than the calculators gave you?

Just wdonering since for me, both were really close. The armband was slightly lower.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My measurements from the Armband are much lower than the TDEE calculators. By a couple hundred calories. The other thing is, I am a college professor. My activity levels are very much not constant from week to week in most cases. The TDEE calculator would not give me a good weekly update like the armband does.

Last Week:
    Calculated: 3336
    Measured: 3174
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    I agree that one equation does not fit all body types! I just had my Resting Metabolic Rate Test done on Saturday. What a HUGE eye opener!! I have hypothyroidism and even being on medication, watching calories, and exercising has not helped. And yes i change my workouts every 4-6 weeksand do heavy lifting. ;) I found out I'm not eating enough calories and they explained that my body will not let go of the fat until it knows I will keep feeding it properly. It costs $65 and took about 10 minutes. You can google RMR Testing and find places near you like a hospital, gym, clinic, etc. Worth every penny!

Thank you! I am having so many problems with my hypothyroidism, and I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one that struggles relentlessly! I'm going to ask my new dr about that and see if she can clue me in to where I can get that done!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I found this frustrating too. I went to 5 different sights and used the same activity level for each one. I then took my average BMR and TDEE from the five sites. I figured that was the best I could do. I have been losing about 1.2 pounds per week.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had my RMR tested at a clinic. My insurance DID cover it, too! Unfortunately, I found the reason for not losing weight was because my RMR was 1022 - all the calculators online including this site had me at about 1490.

Google RMR testing with your city and state and see what pops up. My dietician didn't even know where to get it done in my area.
  • maddiequinlan
    maddiequinlan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This .... I was 1050 when i had it tested :(
    How did you approach it after you got that information?

ETA: Turns out i have hypothyroidism ...
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    After finding out it was 1022, I figured that I couldn't eat less, so I started exercising more. I'm training for a sprint triathlon in the summer, as well as adding more strength training to get some metabolism back.

Unfortunately, I am having a bout with Sciatica right now, so my exercising has fallen off the tracks, but I'll be back soon!!!
  • bfitnbfab
    Options
    bump
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    After finding out it was 1022, I figured that I couldn't eat less, so I started exercising more. I'm training for a sprint triathlon in the summer, as well as adding more strength training to get some metabolism back.

Unfortunately, I am having a bout with Sciatica right now, so my exercising has fallen off the tracks, but I'll be back soon!!!

Thanks for the feedback ... i kind of came to the same conclusion myself. Sorry to hear about the Sciatica hope you're feeling better and are back on track soon :)
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    If you want to get more accurate than one of the equations and activity factors, you pretty much have to "measure" it yourself using your calorie count, change in weight, and about a month's time or more.

like this:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator-calibration/

^^^fantastic^^^

I agree, great site
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm doing something wrong. I do have to guess my level of activity, but I picked a set of hours for each that's an average, and each site gives me a very different number. The highest TDEE is 2432, but the lowest I got 680! So, should I average them? What's the best way to do this?
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump again
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm doing something wrong. I do have to guess my level of activity, but I picked a set of hours for each that's an average, and each site gives me a very different number. The highest TDEE is 2432, but the lowest I got 680! So, should I average them? What's the best way to do this?

You need to watch to see if they include weight loss or not ( so is calories to be eaten- not )TDEE and whether or not they include e ercise - MFPZ DOESN'T, you add that on as extra. Think you must have made a mistake with the 680 one- try again.