Craving some beer...

Options
So one part of my fitness journey, is giving up alcohol. I was starting to go down a pretty deep and dark area with it before I said "Enough!". Its been about 2 weeks since I have had my last drink, and oh boy the cravings are bad!!!

It really isn't like I can just drink water, or exercise to get rid of the cravings...ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Have you actually tried just drinking water? The cravings will go away. Alcohol is poison. You don't need it.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The craving(read addiction, disease, disorder) of alcoholism is something that usually takes a lifetime to overcome. I am speaking from the experience of having been through inpatient alcohol rehab, outpatient treatment and was an AA member for 10 years post treatment. The want of alcohol is fuelled by many different things: emothions, physical addiction/withdrawal, situational(also ties in with emotion). The primary thing that you need to do is find a reason to stay away from it. That reasonmust be yours and yours alone, not because someone wants you to stop or because you can't afford it.

Trust me, if you don't have a reason that is valid in your mind, you will backslide. I know it sounds trite but when I quit drinking I found an AA meeting near everywhere I was:work, play, home. And I used them, I used them to support me to help me when I stumbled and fell off the wagon. Inpatient rehab was hell=enforced sobriety. Outpatient was better but for both the biggest component of help I received was talking out my excuses for wanting that next drink. I will pray for you that you find your reason and program(read whatever works for you). Add as a friend if you need to talk.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Get up and go for a walk around the block every time the craving hits you.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to get in your business, but you might need more support for the drinking than you can get here. Friend of mine was always a social drinker but in his mid thirties he became a full blown alcoholic. Could give up drinking for a week, move onto controlled drinking then back to drinking nightly (alot).

Very sad story, good thing you are realizing this about yourself now.